“Convenient budget motel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 22 hotels in Fairfax
Dublin, Ireland
“Convenient budget motel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

Good budget motel. Staff are very helpful. Location is fairly convenient as there is a bus stop outside (although buses tends to run only once an hour or so) and it's close to the I-66. Free internet access is provided. Breakfast is very good.

My room was clean and comfortable. It definitely is much too dark, but everything else was fine.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo

181 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
maryland0424
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

My son and I visited George Mason University, he is interested in playing soccer their in 2010. I needed a hotel that was close to the campus and was not to expensive. I looked on Hotels.com's site and chose the Best Western after reading the reviews, which seemed to be very positive. I was very surprised by the quality of the rooms and the good service I received at the front desk. The employees were very friendly and answered all my questions about the area, especially where to eat. The breakfast was worth the $4.50 per person and my son liked the flat screen television. Even though the rooms all had outside entrances I still felt safe. It was nice not having to go through the lobby and up an elevator to get to your room. The room was very clean and the beds were hard, which I like because of my bad back. The room had the basic amenities with a refrigerator and microwave. The refrigerator made a noise all night but did not prevent me fron sleeping. Overall a very pleasant stay at a reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2009
Nashville TN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2009

Be very careful if you stay at this hotel. I had a run in with bed bugs. I have the Faifax County Health Department report to back up my claim.

Upon my return home I discovered what I at first thought was a rash on parts of my body. A couple of visits to the doctor determined that the problem was not a rash but probable bed bugs bites. I contacted the Health Department who inspected the hotel and sited them with a violation and the hotel manager confirmed to the inspector that they had treated the room for bed bugs. The hotel knew they had bed bugs in a room I stayed in and took NO action to contact me to warn me that I may have transported bed bugs back to my own home.

When I received the report from the health department I immediately contacted an exterminator in my local area -- I had been home for 2 weeks at this point and who knows what came home with me. My house was exterminated and I've taken all of the necessary precautions recommended by my exterminator -- including buying mattress/box spring encasements for all of the beds in my home. My total out of pocket expense is over $2000.00.

When I contacted the hotel about reimbursement for my costs directly related to extermination they at first agreed to pay a very small portion of the costs. When we told them we would want the full amount they balked and said they would have to file an insurance claim but came back and offered a higher amount. When we told them to file an insurace claim as we wanted our full reimbursement they then refused to do anything unless we hire a lawyer.

The 'head office' for Best Western will do NOTHING to help. Yes, they will record the issue but they do NOT care that one of their franchisees has a bed bug problem and do not care that they have a very unsatisfied customer.

Based on my experience I would definitely not stay at this hotel ever again and would think more than twice before staying at any Best Western property. They do not seem interested in protecting their brand.

• Liked — Close to office
  • Disliked — Bed bugs and hotels response to problem
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Gaithersburg, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

My friend and I stayed at the Best Western Fairfax on Saturday, November 15, 2008. One night was more than enough!

Firstly, this is a motel not a hotel. Second, let me say that from the time I drove up and walked into the lobby, I realized this hotel was a step below where I would be comfortable staying. That said, my friend and I were real troopers. In the interest of full disclosure, I didn’t choose this hotel. It was chosen by the organizer of my hobby event. The event took place in the hotel’s “ballroom” and it made sense for us to stay at the same hotel since the event ended at 11 pm and we didn’t want to drive home at the end of a tiring day.

Reception staff was pleasant and allowed my friend and I to check in early around 10 am or so. We both asked to be in rooms close to the ballroom. Instead of being placed in a room on the even number side (overlooking the pool and closest to the ballroom), we were placed in the odd side which was near the parking lot and further away from the ballroom. Since almost everything is outdoors we were forced to walk back and forth in windy cold weather over wet concrete. In rain, it would be miserable, so keep that in mind if you’re coming in spring or winter.

I stayed in room 349 and my friend in room 351 on the third floor near the parking lot. The room had a musty odor on walking in. However, everything worked (ac; lamps, lights, TV etc.). The room appeared clean.

The room had the basics – AC/heat unit; 2 double beds; large TV; dresser; work desk and chair; lounge chair and ottoman; fridge; microwave; closet; sink outside the bathroom; and shower. There was free Internet service in the room, although I’m not sure if it was wireless.

According to the organizer of my event, the hotel had been recently renovated. My jaw dropped when I heard that! If the hotel as we were looking at it was recently remodeled, then what did it look like before?

Pros
• Free Internet

• Restaurant staff was very pleasant and helpful.

• I had the buffet breakfast for $4.50 (it was pretty OK if you want juice, tea, coffee, toast and jelly) I believe they also offered biscuits, gravy, waffles, pancakes and sausage as well.

• Our lunch and dinner was catered by the hotel – lunch was great since we had hot sandwiches (I had the cheese steak sub which was very good). Dinner was fried chicken, salad, carrots, tortellini in sauce along with cheese cake and chocolate cake. I loved the salad and carrots and cake :-)

• Good supply of vacation brochures in the lobby – I guess so you could find other things to do away from your dungeon of a room. :-)

Cons
• This is a motel, not a hotel so there are interior corridors. This made it very noisy because of all the wind and my door kept shaking back and forth because of the wind. I eventually put luggage behind the door to take care of the shaking door but this would also help in case of an attempted break-in!

• The hotel is not very disable-friendly as there are tons of steps to climb everywhere. There was no automatic door at the front to allow someone disabled or with luggage to enter without a hassle.

• The elevator is outside and is a joke! In bad weather you need to go to the back of the hotel, up a wet ramp and wait for the elevator to come down to you. The elevator can hold about 2 people with luggage at a time. Once you go up, you need to walk through a smelly kitchen to get to the “ballroom”. Did I mention the bad odor that emanated periodically from the kitchen as we sat in the “ballroom”?

• The bed was very hard although the sheets were clean from what I saw. Lots of pillows were provided although I always travel with my own.

• The hotel was very dark and I’m not sure if it was deliberately done to hide dirt or something. It had dark carpet and dim lighting most places we walked.

• Room had a weird, musty odor. In the lobby area there was a sweet cloying scent.

• I’m not sure if there is any security at the hotel. If there is, they were every place I wasn’t.

. Shower in my room did not drain properly. If there's anything I hate it is standing in the tub in water up to my ankles because the drain is clogged.

From my prior reviews you can tell that I always try to find something nice to say about most properties where I've stayed. In the case of this Best Western it was a real trial to come up with much. If anything, it gave us lots to laugh about and will be a travel story for the ages. Needless to say, my friend and I hot-footed out of that place on Sunday morning.

If you have time when planning your trip to Fairfax, Virginia or its environs, do some homework and stay elsewhere. I wish you safe travels.

Feel free to email me with specific questions.

Dawn

• Liked — Pleasant and helpful staff; free Internet (assuming it works); OK food
  • Disliked — Horrible elevator; too many steps; cold walkways; darkness everywhere;
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Carlsbad, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2008

My wife and I stayed for 15 nights starting 9/22 as our base to see DC and other sites. The staff is very nice, helpful and cooperative. The bus stop in front of the hotel is convenient to get to and from the Metro station. The location is very safe to walk to local restaurants like the Red Lobster. Gloria in the restaurant does a good job with the breakfast buffet. Sonny who has the restaurant the rest of the day is also accommodating and serves large portion meals. Our room faced the pool and was kept pretty nice. Fairfax is also convenient to H-66 if you are driving.

We would definitely stay there again if we visit DC.

• Liked — Convenience for the price
  • Disliked — Limited bus service on Saturday and Sunday
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Deep River, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2008

To be clear, this is a Motel, not a Hotel. There was quite an air gap around my door, and the curtains didn't close as securely as I would like.

The walls and floors are apparently not insulated against sound, because I was awoken a number of times - around 10pm from someone sneezing loudly in an adjacent room, then again from 1am-3:30am by a loud guy in an adjacent room. Even the air conditioner couldn't drown this guy out. I checked out the next morning more exhausted than when I checked in.

It was fairly clean, minus the stains on the carpet and the sticky section of carpet by the desk.

The location felt safe.

• Liked — Tall trees and quiet neighborhood
  • Disliked — Noisy people in adjacent rooms
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

We stayed for 3 nights and found the staff very pleasant and helpful. I loved their big trees. Traffic in the DC area always leaves me stressed and this place was a quiet oasis. The rooms were comfortable and clean and I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Quiet yet convient to the city
  • Disliked — could use better lighting in the rooms.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN Fairfax? Share your experiences!