“An Oldie but a Goodie” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 22 hotels in Fairfax
Southwest Harbor, Maine
“An Oldie but a Goodie”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

This hotel met every expectation I had; and then some. It was impeccably clean. The bed was exceptionally comfortable and the room was spacious enough for an enjoyable week long stay. The room rate which included breakfast every morning was a fantastic deal....ESPECIALLY for a D.C. area hotel. The CUE bus stop outside the hotel made for easy access to the Metro train for daily trips in and out of D.C for touring.
Is it a new hotel? No. Is it a 4 diamond hotel? No. But I knew it wasn't when I booked it so it would be unfair to judge it as such (as I feel some other recent reviewers have done). Do I care that the bathrooms are harvest gold (i.e. 70's colors)? No! Would this be the hotel I would book IF I wanted a luxurious amenity laden stay with a Spa etc? No. But it was, and would be again, the choice for an economical and convenient visit to D.C. The coffee maker, 3/4 fridge and flat screen TV were all in working order. Water pressure was great and we never experienced a lack of hot water once.
The breakfast buffet is not your "standard" fare. This buffet had something new every day from scrambled eggs, to sausage, corned beef hash, grits, biscuits and sausage gravy, waffle maker with real maple syrup, coffee station with hazelnut and vanilla syrups to flavor your coffee with, juice machine, toaster station with english muffins, two kinds of bread, butter and peanut butter, cold and hot cereals and on and on and on. Choices galore. (though bacon one of the 6 days would have been appreciated instead of sausage every day).
However, what REALLY makes this hotel stand out is their focus on customer service. BW Fairfax staff makes you feel like you are staying at a 4 diamond hotel even if the physical plant doesn't. We experienced outstanding service from the moment we checked in until we left by their front desk staff to their housekeeping and dining room staff. Every day we were greeted by all staff with genuine smiles and meaningful interactions. Staff remembered us by name and went our of their way to be accommodating. The pointers, directions and tips from front desk staff for travel, dining and tourist attractions were perfect (thank you Joe)! Our request for a complimentary late check out due to flight changes was approved without hesitation or attitude (as I have experienced at other hotels).
Should our travels lead us back to this area we wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: If WIFI connectivity is important to you then make certain you share with the front desk at check in...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
stephenmay, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Fairfax, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you islandfoodie..
I like it, I like it, "An oldie but a Goodie", that is the way we look at our hotel. We believe it is a "goodie". Thank you for spelling out what we are and do. Also, over the next two years we have projects planned to help spruce up our rooms, lobby and restaurant. But, the service and cleanliness, will remain the same. Again, thank you and hope to see you again in the future.

197 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Bristow, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We loved the buffet. The restaurant manager Joel was great. Gloria did a great job. Front desk staff was very attentive. Room was very comfortable with great bed. Will stay here again. Housekeeping did a great job in keeping our room clean. Thank you for a wonderfull stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you Ironman for your "Great Experience" review. I will be sure to compliment Joel, Gloria and our housekeeping staff, for their efforts towards making your stay great. See you again in the future.
Minnesott Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We had our 50th high school reunion mid October 2013 and it was commented by many classmates to “be our best reunion”. We had Hors dousers Saturday evening and a lunch Sunday that was prepared by Best Western at a very reasonable price. The delicious food for both occasions was presented by the very accommodating and professional staff. The room was perfect and accommodated round tables that were set up for 90 persons with still plenty of room for the buffet, soft drink table and attended bar . Many of the classmates took advantage of the special rates for staying at the motel. Previously our every five year reunions were held in the Tysons Corner area. We will be coming back to Best Western, Fairfax for our 55th! Dennis Humenik - Madison class of '63 coordinator

Room Tip: All rooms were equally great
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Dennis, we enjoyed having your reunion stay with us. 50 years is a milestone and I am glad that so many classmates were able to attend. Since I have been here for 11 years, there is always the possibility that I will be here for your 55th. Have a happy and healthy 5 years, until then.
New Market, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

The Best Western Fairfax was easy to get into, the rooms were very clean and the service was excellent. The breakfast included in the room fee was delicious and timely. Check in and check out was very easy.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Junior, thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again in the future.
Ivybridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Hotel okay for the money we paid as they accepted the Travel Buddy coupon. I wouldn't have wanted to pay full price however. Hotel tired and in need of 'doing up.' They pride themselves of the country feel breakfast room and food, whereas I thought it was good the wife wasn't as impressed. The good thing about this hotel is the location to travel to Washington DC. Very easy and quick so suited our needs. Room clean and tidy and quiet, stayed for two nights each time room cleaned well.

Room Tip: Value for money when using a coupon
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
stephenmay, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Fairfax, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Adrianandlois,

I am glad that you had a clean and comfortable stay. We work hard to make our breakfast buffet appetizing and filling. We have coupon rates are available year round and hope to see you on your next visit to our area.
Pueblo, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I stayed one night at this hotel hoping to use a discount coupon. However, according to management, there were only two smoking rooms available. The lead clerk kindly allowed me to see both rooms--and I chose the least offensive one. Except for the lingering smoke smell, the room was adequate enough. The biggest drawback was the use of less than adequate noise suppression materials. So, I countered the chatter with noise of my own. The staff were helpful in pointing out the nearest Metro station (Fairfax/vienna) and provided information on all the disgraceful Obama induced visitor closures (WW II Memorial, etc.). Another problem was the one restaurant employee who was late to work, consequently everyone's breakfast was delayed.
I departed before breakfast was served, so I can't comment on the quality of the breakfast service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
I am sorry that we not able to accommodate you in a non-smoking room. That happens when we sell out on the weekends, smoking rooms being the last rooms left. I'm glad we were able to assist you with the information you needed and regret that you were unable to stay for our breakfast buffet. I hope that you enjoyed your trip to our nation's capital.
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I travel to Fairfax for work at least one week out of every month. At first, I was pleased to find this hotel at a great price and terrific location for me. My first stay was uneventful and perfectly adequate. My second stay I woke up covered in bed bug bites. Management would only refund me $25 for one night of my several night stay. Still, I decided to try them again this week, only to have my companion wake up this morning obviously eaten up by bugs. The front desk manager refused to even concede that these were bed bug bites, instead claiming we were having an allergic reaction to some unknown thing that just happens to look like a large series of bug bites. The general manager refused to speak with us. They did however at least comp us last night, after we checked out this morning because of the bed bugs.

Throughout this, I'm amazed at how little management seemed to care about my returning monthly business, let alone our discomfort at being clearly eaten up by bugs at their establishment.

But the big reason I'm posting this negative review is to save anyone else from the same itchy fate. I left the hotel this morning after our third conversation with management, very much under the impression that they weren't actually going to do anything about their bed bug problem. So good luck and god speed to you if you end up here. I'd recommend spending a little more to ensure a good night's rest and management that actually respects its customers.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
stephenmay, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Fairfax, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
We are and continue to be concerned with any situation that might involve bed bugs. I also travel and I check bed linen and mattresses before I go to sleep in any room I stay in. My staff and I checked your room, immediately after you left and could not find any evidence of a current or past infestation of bed bugs. We looked through the linen,the king sized mattress and box spring, bed skirting, furniture, behind the head board, carpet base any place where you would see bed bug feces, live bugs or dead ones. There was no trace of blood on the sheets which could be evidence of biting. In talking to your boyfriend, he was the one that suggested that it could be an allergic reaction since he couldn't find any evidence of bugs himself. I unfortunately could not talk to him, since I was in a meeting, but, gave the authorization for a complimentary room, without even checking it,because of your boy friends sincerity, obvious distress and the fact that you had stayed with us previous times. The desk person also profusely apologized to him then and when you both checked out. There was nothing more we could have done at the time except check the room which was what we should have done immediately. To still further our inspection of that room, we contacted our exterminator and he could not find any traces of bed bugs. If something had been found we would have let you know. I sincerely regret that we did not show the necessary urgency that I would have expected of myself and our staff.
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to BEST WESTERN Fairfax? Share your experiences!