“Amazing value!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 22 hotels in Fairfax
Big Apple
“Amazing value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My husband and I spent 12 days in late October, early November 2012 at this hotel. It is probably truer to describe it as a motel; it has two stories. We enjoyed a large room, sparkling clean bathroom, free parking, wi fi and a remarkable hot and cold breakfast each morning, including pancakes and self-made waffles, which were scrumptious. Service was responsive, the people at the desk and the cleaning crew were friendly and helpful. The hotel was quiet and clean, two major criteria for us, and the price was very competitive.

This hotel is not a glitzy place; it is older, but well maintained and very clean.

We found many more than satisfactory restaurant options within minutes of the hotel, and staff recommended a few that were actually within walking distance.

If we were to return to this area, there is no question that we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room was in the back, where it was away from any traffic.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
CommentManager, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Fairfax, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. We are pleased that we exceeded your expectations and your stay was enjoyable. Our goal is to be the best value in the Washington DC area and we are pleased that you found our hotel to be an amazing value. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

182 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Walnut Creek
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This was a very nice stay. We really liked the breakfast in the mornings.
The pool looked nice, but it was too cold to try it out.
It was very convenient to mass transit. The bus to the metro was right across the street.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed at the BW Fairfax for about seven days. The hotel itself is not the newest, but it didn't matter one bit because it was clean, clean. The bed was comfortable, linens were plentiful and fresh, and the staff was most helpful. The breakfast cannot be beat-you would be hard pressed to find a place that offered more or better. We used the washing machine/dryers and again, the area was very clean. We didn't swim but the pool was sparkling-saw someone cleaning out leaves daily. The hotel is about a 5-10 minute drive from the rail cars and there is adequate parking on ground and the garage. It takes about 30-45 min depending on time of day to get into DC but being at the end of the line, you are always assured of a seat to go into the city. We would have extended our stay but the storm changed our plans. For our next trip to the area, we will definitely stay there again and I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor facing the pool. It was convenient to the laundry room, office, and pa...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

we stayed at fairfax for 5 nights end august, all staff were very good and helped when we had problems with taxi s not turning up, the breakfasts were superb ( we are british), rooms excellent, extra point for kettle would be advantage. pool kept very clean with lifeguard on permanent duty. easy jouney into washington as bus picks up outside and delivers you to the metro/ tube station. just to say my family consisted of 140!! yes and not one complaint.
thankyou fairfax from Kidsgrove Scouts England .( drum corp associates).

Room Tip: book ground floor if you have problem with walking
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

The room was old and the bed was very uncomfortable. I didn't like that the access to the rooms was all from the outside so when we arrived late at night we were walking around outside corridors and down stairs to get to our room. Being a female traveling with my daughter, it made me not feel very safe since anyone could have been hanging out around any corner. The savings here weren't that great that it was worth the lack of quality I'm used to when we travel. I can't comment on the breakfast provided as we did not eat there in the morning. There are other hotels nearby that I'd return to again, this unfortunately wouldn't be one of them.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Schenectady, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed over Columbus Day weekend for a wedding. Clean rooms and comfortable beds at an affordable rate. We have talked about returning with the kids to visit DC someday soon. The hotel is located 10 minutes away from the Metro into DC which made it easy to take a day trip into see the sights. Breakfast is offered each morning with your stay and was a great conveinence to not have to worry about that each day. There was great variety offered all three mornings. We just wish there was more seating in the restaurant as we often had to wait for seats or squeeze in with others to eat our breakfast.
The rooms could use bathroom updates but for the price it wasn't a bad deal.

Room Tip: Pool wasn't opened during our stay but it looked like a nice pool.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

It was horrible!!! I reserved my room weeks ahead of time, but unfortunately we were coming from a long way and didn't get there until 9pm (they were told we would be in late). By the time we got there the only room left apparently was a room down a hallway that looked out to a concrete wall with evacuation signs. We found out VERY early in the morning that it was next to the maintenance room. It was SO loud and they were wheeling carts by us constantly and were obviously not concerned in the least about the noise level. We were told they had a pool, but forgot to mention that it would be closed. The front desk clerk that checked us in was of very little brain. She had us park where we would have to walk down two flight of stairs to get to our room. Mind you, I am disabled and she was told this, if it wasn't obvious by my cane as I walked in. After lugging all of our luggage to the room (I was only with my two children) we saw that just a little down the way was a parking lot on our level. I could go on and on about the things this 'girl' said, but the bottom line, she wasn't really listening to me and gave answers to my questions that the morning desk person couldn't believe she said. I didn't receive any compensation for all of this and apparently this room costs the same as all the others that didn't have these issues. Oh, and if you want to use the coffee pot in the room plan on draping the electrical cord over the sink and unplug the hair dryer to use that outlet. There is no outlet next to the coffee pot. I called the General Manager regarding our stay and instead of trying to help he continued to tell me that he was so surprised about the front desk clerk and that he couldn't imagine that she had done the things I was telling him. I have worked a lot of customer service type of positions and have never treated a customer this way. He did not take any responsibility for what I was telling him. It is too bad. I may have reconsidered using Best Western if he had responded differently.

Room Tip: Ask not to have a room inside the hallway.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
CommentManager, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Fairfax, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
We apologize your stay was less than expected. Comments such as yours are not typical of our hotel and we will use your feedback constructively. Upon receiving your comments we reviewed your account and it was noted that the General Manager had spoken with you and sent you a Best Western Travel Card as compensation. Please let us know if you did not receive this Travel Card. Your business is important to us and we are confident given another chance, your stay will exceed your expectations.

Been to BEST WESTERN Fairfax? Share your experiences!