“a liitle over priced!!!!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #6 of 22 hotels in Fairfax
canada
“a liitle over priced!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

we stayed here for one night. the hotel was clean and comfotable. we paid the price on $140. now at most hotels when you pay that price you expect a little more than just a clean room. we have paid much less at many other chain hotels and have gotten alot more.....internet at this hotel is $9 for 24 hours, most hotels have free internet...bacon and eggs at this hotel $15...most hotels have free breakfast(seriously people you must know that if you are paying over $6 for bacon and eggs with all the trimmings...you are getting ripped off!) cracker barrel was just down the road...go there! mac and cheese(all it was was Kraft Dinner, nothing home made or special) for kids was $7 and it came in a dish the size of a little fruit cup! they charged a $1 for each local phone call, to me thats crazy, most other hotels have free local calling, they charged you for the newspaper they drop off at you door in the morning...again free at most other hotels. we wil for sure not stay here again...you definetly don't get what you pay for! a few more things...no fridge or microwaveand the sink leaked terrible, and the rooms were not sound proof at all!! we heard everything from doors slamming, the elevator and people talking! we also asked for directions to the patriot center where my husbad was competing in an event, the front desk was great when they gave me a typed up card with directions, and we thought right on...until we followed the directions, which were only half right! it almost made us late for his event, good thing we are always in the habit of leaving early to his events!!

• Liked — it was clean
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

241 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Houston, Tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

Spent 3 days here Dec '08 and will return Jan 13th for 3 days. Booked via Price Line and it was very reasonable. The quality is excellent with a very good resturant.

Very good room which is of reasonable size and very clean.

So far I would say the staff here are some of the best that I have dealth with at a lot of hotels. Very willing to help out on whatever you need. The hotel is a short walk from the Fair Oaks mall which is very good mall.

The only down side was the fact that Fairfax is not on the Metro line and you have to go to Tyson's Corner (I belive this is correct) to catch the subway into DC.

Fairfax is great to stay and if you fly into Dulles then Fairfax is very close.

• Liked — value for money
  • Disliked — no close access to subway into DC
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Baltimore, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2008

I will post the standard caveat and say that I am not a routine "complainer" by nature. For my job, I travel each week and have racked up over 150 nights this year in Marriott properties.

While this particular property is clean and comfortable, my business associate and I encountered a laundry list of problems this week. Each point standing alone would be an annoyance, but the combination of events will almost certainly have me looking elsewhere when I stay in this area.

1. Weak Concierge Lounge.

The concierge lounge in this hotel looks warm and inviting upon entry. But, don't even think of trying to enjoy a cup of coffee before 7:30 pm. Yes, in this lounge, coffee is only available in the late evening hours, except during "breakfast" or course. When I asked the attendant about this, she told me matter-of-factly that there was no coffee and there would be none until 7:30. I actually asked the manager about this and was told they would investigate the possibility of making it available earlier. Folks, the Fairfield Inn is down the street and you can have coffee 24 hours a day there!

The light "breakfast" is a little weak, as well, but I could overlook that normally. Yes, the standard rolls, juice and yogurt are available. But, if you need a spoon for that yogurt, or a knife for the roll, you just might be out of luck. There was actually a wait for silverware and they seemed to be rationing it out at that. The morning attendant would emerge every few minutes with 3-4 utensals of various types, only to be quickly snagged by waiting patrons.

Alcoholic beverages are not free, but are on the honor system. That's okay, actually. But, my business associate was rudely accosted one evening by the evening attendant (the same one who controls the coffee, by the way) and was accused of pouring a "double" of cognac when he hadn't. The next morning, there was an extra charge on his folio for this "double." Unbelievable.

2. Room Sound Insulation

I was placed in a room located around the corner from the concierge club. It took me a few days to figure it out, but I was awakened each morning at 5am to a slamming door. A door, I might add, that continued to slam every 2-3 minutes. I finally figured out that this was the door to the concierge club, which explains the frequency. I am a heavy sleeper, so, this was a major problem. I wonder why the engineering department hasn't noticed this? A $150 door closer would solve this problem and keep the floor quiet.

3. Security Breach

The morning of check out, the folio was not delivered to the room as it usually would be. I was thinking perhaps this hotel did not follow this custom, so I set off to the desk to check out and get my bill. Along the way, I found a stack of folios, neatly folded, in order, in the corridor trach receptical! Any person in the hotel could have accessed personal information of others from these folios.

The front desk apologized, but didn't seem entirely surprised. In fact, the manager on duty indicated that they have their contracted security firm deliver the folios on their night rounds. Ironic, huh?

Needless to say, there were problems this week at this Marriott. While the management seemed sorry and offered some additional points as compensation, it really seems like there is a systemic management problem here. Beware should you choose this property!

Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Angers, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

Very good quality business hotel. Large, very clean room. Metro to DC nearby by car ($4.50 parking per day at station). Free internet access, 2 computers available for guests, fitness center, restaurant and all the rest. Only 2 small problems: One quarter of the building looks directly onto Highway US50 and they didn't install double-glazing to reduce noise from car, trucks and especially police and ambulance sirens at all hours (make sure before leaving that you ask for a room not on the highway); the staff are a little on the syrupy-sweet side for some of them: insincere smiles abound, when I asked the front desk manager if there were rooms available on the sides facing inward or not directly on the highway, he answered that although he would "love" to change my room, there was no space (the hotel has more than 350 rooms)...

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago Burbs
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2008

When you think of a suburban Marriott hotel, this is what comes to mind. Nothing spectacular positive or negative, but no surprises. Good sized room and bathroom. Clean and comfortable. In room coffee is convenient. Free parking. Marketplace is good for picking up a muffin or light breakfast at a reasonable cost. Efficient check in and out. Friendly staff. For a business location, it seems wi-fi in the room should not cost extra.

• Liked — Good sized room and bathroom, did not feel crowded
  • Disliked — Wi-fi in room was an extra cost
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

I have booked rooms and junior suites at this hotel for over a year, totaling over 25 nights. The direct booking is required to reserve a suite at this hotel. I've had no problems with the reservations. The hotel in general is nice.

I have had frequent and recurring problems with the overall management of this hotel, including checking in and checking out. Due to the unusual hours that the room was needed, I have returned in the morning more than once to find my room re-rented. On another occasion, they had no room available at 8 AM when I called the night before to advise them that I would arrive in the morning - please hold the room. When I have requested things like an extra chair for the room, it has never taken less than 30 minutes and two phone calls - sometimes a walk to the desk.

More than half of the time, the turndown service has not been done.

The couch and chairs in the junior suite are very old and outdated. As another reviewer stated, the "At your service" button on many phones does not work. (Does not appear to matter if it did work).

Finally, during my recent stay, things became so disorganized, that I contacted the hotel's general manager. I respectfully pointed out the laundry list of things that have gone wrong during the past year. I offered to her that her hotel was convenient for me, but that I would change Marriott's if I needed to. Her response was to address one item (in a non-satisfactory manner), and totally ignore the rest of them. When I then sent a response to her stating that she had only addressed one issue, and that I would probably move to a different Marriott, she never responded.

I am a Platinum Elite Marriott card holder and I am gone from the Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks!

• Liked — The hotel is convenient to Fairfax and to shopping and dining. Despite being a renovated Holiday Inn, the interior lobby and dining area is nicely appointed.
  • Disliked — The lack of response from hotel management.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Lincoln
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

Wow! This is a five-star hotel which we booked off of Expedia for the price of a two-star hotel. My family stayed at three hotels during our week-long vacation, and this was by far the best, not to mention the cheapest. The pool was fabulous, business center was great, service was exceptional. Our room was about two times the size we were expecting! Gas and groceries minutes away, Metro about 10 minutes away.... the only quip we had with this hotel was the lack of a continental breakfast. What a find!!!

• Liked — Everything, but especially the spacious room!
  • Disliked — No continental breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks? Share your experiences!