“Construction site” 2 of 5 stars

$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Fairfax
“Construction site”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I'll be brief as the other reviewers have already outlined the issues surrounding the construction. Bottom line is that no guest should check in and have to find out they are staying at a construction site. This isn't a minor project but rather a full blown construction site. To not advertise this on their website with the hopes that you are just stuck when you check in is a short term way to ensure continuing revenue and a long term way to damage the trust in the Marriott name. For management to say they are excited about the finished product provides little consolation to those duped into stay here during that process.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Myrtle Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Came home for some much needed time off of work to celebrate my good buddy from childhood's birthday. I am originally from Fairfax, Va. I decided to stay at the Marriott because of its location in correspondence to Fairfax Corner. I've drove past this hotel for 20 years and now got a chance to experience what it had to offer.

At first everything seemed normal. Walked into a nice lobby and immediately felt like I had made the right choice. Being from Northern Virginia, I can certainly appreciate the finer things in life. The man at the front desk was very nice and accommodating. He was able to meet all of my booking requirements, including early check in and placed us in one of the top floor's newly renovated rooms. At this point he was obligated to tell us that the hotel was under construction and being renovated and that if anything bothers us, we can certainly let him know.

The room was very nice, had a huge comfortable bed, modern in appearance and had a nice view of 66 and Penderbrook.

Now, after driving 8 hours, all I wanted to do was take a shower. So I went into the newly renovated bathrooms with a glass sliding shower door and turned on the shower... Nothing came out. I called the front desk and a lady had answered, informing me that the water had been turned off in the entire hotel so they could find a leak. The showers weren't scheduled to be on for another 2 hours. Running water is one of those basic human rights that no one should go without. I was not pleased. When the water finally did come out, it came out brown and greyish looking. Fortunately, they were able to give me the first night out of my two night stay for free. A very unexpected, but appreciated accommodation.

We had no other issues with the rooms. The only other thing that bothered me was 8:00am hammering and drilling. Also, contractors opening my room door to do construction, not knowing the room was occupied.

The hotel is beautiful and I'm sure will be fabulous when renovations are done. I would definitely come try it again when they are. It's location is great. Right off of 50 and 66. Across the street from Fair Oaks Mall. 2 minute drive from Fairfax Corner. Can't beat it. I'll be able to follow up this review with a great one I'm sure, after I try it again in December.

Stayed August 2014
Kelly K, Manager at Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Mr. Weitz,
Thank you for your candid feedback. I am glad you had a great arrival experience and enjoyed the new room. I apologize that we had to do a water shutdown upon your arrival to the hotel. We chose the week you were here in order to install showers to the rooms on the fifth floor that we were working on, and tried to schedule at a time that most of our guests would be out of the hotel for the day. We have limited our noisy construction to between the hours of 9am and 6pm, and are monitoring to make sure work does not start early. We have worked to address the one-off times quickly and immediately when we hear it start early, and always appreciate our guests letting us know so we can remedy. I am very excited for you to come back and check us out in December. Our new restaurant will be open, as well as a new lobby. Please send me an email in December to let me know you are coming and i will be happy to give you a tour of the new space!
Kelly.klocke@whitelodging.com
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

I have been to this hotel a number of times in the past few years

I love the marriott burger here and also the happy hours for beer... additionally it is like any other marriott however the gym is pretty small but rooms are good as always and location is great as it is next to the mall for shopping.

Service is good.. Vainessa has always been very helpful

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Guatam,
Thank you for your review. I am glad you loved the Marriott burger, and we are looking forward to a rejuvenated Social Hour when our new restaurant opens this fall. We have added a new treadmill and elliptical to our fitness center, which has expanded the amount of options we have to offer.
Hong Kong
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

This Marriot Hotel was the worst that ever had. Except the service of the front desk was good. The room condition was terrible. Darksome room lighting, an antique hair dryer, poor showerhead. But the worst was the breakfast. May be coz I was with the tour this time. They serve breakfast separately with those individual guest. The breakfast room not sufficient in food, drink and even fork, knife glass. It's extremely terrible service during the breakfast time.

• Stayed July 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience. In our new rooms, we have added décor that will brighten the space quite a bit. We are also replacing about half of our rooms that previously had bathtub showers with brand new glass showers that will have brand new showerheads. We had a separate breakfast for your tour group to allow us to focus on your group specifically, and I apologize that the breakfast did not meet your expectations. Thanks for your feedback!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

But the rest of the hotel did some. I've stayed here several times before and always like this hotel. I was somewhat disappointed that they're under renovation and the Concierge lounge is closed. I've been in other Marriott's that were under renovation and they find another space to set up a concierge lounge. They didn't make a lot of effort to accommodate that either (no free appetizer), but they did offer a free breakfast. And two teeny bottles of water. Oh well, I still like this Marriott, and will come back. The beds are great and there are a ton of great restaurants around here. And maybe once the renovation is done, they will be even nicer.

Stayed July 2014
Kelly K, Manager at Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Martha,
Thank you for your response. We are looking forward to the completion of our renovation and are excited about the product we will be offering. Our concierge lounge is closed as it is being relocated to the second floor, which will allow for a much bigger and brighter area for our Platinum and Gold guests. We will be finishing and releasing our first round of guest rooms next week. I just got to walk through a few and they are coming together very nicely. I look forward to your return and look forward to hosting you in the lounge!
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I felt badly for the staff and hotel management on site who had to try to keep clients happy while simultaneously working in a construction filled environment. The staff was truly wonderful and as helpful as they could be given the circumstances. But visitors should be aware of the construction
going on in this hotel as commented on by the previous reviewer. Jackhammers, drilling, hammering. The timing is restricted, but plan to spend all day away from the hotel. Restaurant closed. Bar closed. Market closed. None of this is noted on the hotel's website. Construction crew lives in the hotel (they are not bothersome at all, but it just makes for an odd arrangement). I am sure the place will be great once the renovations are done.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Kelly K, Manager at Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Timezoned,
Thank you so much for your review. I want to apologize for your experience with our on-going renovation work last week. I do appreciate you mentioning the great experience with our team. We have worked very hard to assemble a great group of hosts that we feel can lift the guest experience even through the noise and closures that come with our hotel update. The week that you were a guest with us was particularly loud, as we were jackhammering through concrete in our restaurant in our initial demolition of this space. This level of noise and disruption will not be a constant moving forward now that we’re through the worst of that work. As you mentioned, we are controlling the hours that work is being done in an effort to allow our guests time to get ready for their day in the morning and allow time to relax at night. Due to the sheer magnitude of the restaurant remodel (we have eliminated the Oak Grille and will soon be opening 703 kitchen + bar, which involves doubling the size of our bar size as well as a multitude of other exciting updates including the menu!) we do have to close the restaurant during this process. We are still serving our full menu through In-Room Dining from 6am-11pm, as well as offering complimentary Starbucks lobby coffee so our guests can stay caffeinated throughout their stay. I am excited for you to see our finished product. Please reach out to me directly next time you are in town and I can show you one of our model rooms or tour you through some of the plans and our other enhancements.
Austin, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Through November 2014, this hotel is under construction (for renovations). That means that guests can expect to be woken up by the sound of jack hammers as early as 9 am from Sun-Fri and should not plan on spending any quiet time in the room on those days until after 6 pm. Also the hotel restaurant is closed. We were not warned of the construction before coming. I'm here with a group or I'd change hotels. In addition, the hotel is humid and musty smelling. On the up side, the staff is very nice. I would not recommend the hotel, however, until they are finished with renovations.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Gina,
First of all, thank you for being our guest last week. I am sorry that you were here on a less-than-ideal week, it was a bit noisier than we had anticipated. As you point out, we are currently hard at work on a full-scale hotel update, working on everything from our guestrooms (new furnishings and décor, more available power, upgraded bathrooms, added refrigerators in every room, enhanced entertainment options), to a new look in our meeting space, expanded concierge lounge, and a brand new restaurant, 703 kitchen + bar. This work will proceed in phases through the beginning of October, and while we have planned to make this work as inconspicuous as possible for our guests, unfortunately the work in the restaurant last week was more disruptive than we had planned on. Moving forward, we have limited work hours to begin later in the mornings and end earlier in the evenings in an effort to further minimize any impact when the majority or our guests are here and allow you to keep up your productivity. I am sorry that you had to experience the worst of it last week, we truly believe that the worst is behind us in that restaurant. We are very excited about the changes coming, and we believe it will allow our product to finally match the excellent level of guest service our team is known for providing. I would love for you to join us again as we continue to make progress, or after our update is complete. Please contact me directly, I would be happy to show you what we’ve done, and I will ensure you have an excellent experience in the future!
Director of Operations

Been to Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks? Share your experiences!