“Beds didn't disappoint” 3 of 5 stars

Free Parking
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Fairfax
“Beds didn't disappoint”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

But the rest of the hotel did some. I've stayed here several times before and always like this hotel. I was somewhat disappointed that they're under renovation and the Concierge lounge is closed. I've been in other Marriott's that were under renovation and they find another space to set up a concierge lounge. They didn't make a lot of effort to accommodate that either (no free appetizer), but they did offer a free breakfast. And two teeny bottles of water. Oh well, I still like this Marriott, and will come back. The beds are great and there are a ton of great restaurants around here. And maybe once the renovation is done, they will be even nicer.

Stayed July 2014
Kelly K, Manager at Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Martha,
Thank you for your response. We are looking forward to the completion of our renovation and are excited about the product we will be offering. Our concierge lounge is closed as it is being relocated to the second floor, which will allow for a much bigger and brighter area for our Platinum and Gold guests. We will be finishing and releasing our first round of guest rooms next week. I just got to walk through a few and they are coming together very nicely. I look forward to your return and look forward to hosting you in the lounge!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I felt badly for the staff and hotel management on site who had to try to keep clients happy while simultaneously working in a construction filled environment. The staff was truly wonderful and as helpful as they could be given the circumstances. But visitors should be aware of the construction
going on in this hotel as commented on by the previous reviewer. Jackhammers, drilling, hammering. The timing is restricted, but plan to spend all day away from the hotel. Restaurant closed. Bar closed. Market closed. None of this is noted on the hotel's website. Construction crew lives in the hotel (they are not bothersome at all, but it just makes for an odd arrangement). I am sure the place will be great once the renovations are done.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Kelly K, Manager at Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Timezoned,
Thank you so much for your review. I want to apologize for your experience with our on-going renovation work last week. I do appreciate you mentioning the great experience with our team. We have worked very hard to assemble a great group of hosts that we feel can lift the guest experience even through the noise and closures that come with our hotel update. The week that you were a guest with us was particularly loud, as we were jackhammering through concrete in our restaurant in our initial demolition of this space. This level of noise and disruption will not be a constant moving forward now that we’re through the worst of that work. As you mentioned, we are controlling the hours that work is being done in an effort to allow our guests time to get ready for their day in the morning and allow time to relax at night. Due to the sheer magnitude of the restaurant remodel (we have eliminated the Oak Grille and will soon be opening 703 kitchen + bar, which involves doubling the size of our bar size as well as a multitude of other exciting updates including the menu!) we do have to close the restaurant during this process. We are still serving our full menu through In-Room Dining from 6am-11pm, as well as offering complimentary Starbucks lobby coffee so our guests can stay caffeinated throughout their stay. I am excited for you to see our finished product. Please reach out to me directly next time you are in town and I can show you one of our model rooms or tour you through some of the plans and our other enhancements.
Austin, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Through November 2014, this hotel is under construction (for renovations). That means that guests can expect to be woken up by the sound of jack hammers as early as 9 am from Sun-Fri and should not plan on spending any quiet time in the room on those days until after 6 pm. Also the hotel restaurant is closed. We were not warned of the construction before coming. I'm here with a group or I'd change hotels. In addition, the hotel is humid and musty smelling. On the up side, the staff is very nice. I would not recommend the hotel, however, until they are finished with renovations.

Gina,
First of all, thank you for being our guest last week. I am sorry that you were here on a less-than-ideal week, it was a bit noisier than we had anticipated. As you point out, we are currently hard at work on a full-scale hotel update, working on everything from our guestrooms (new furnishings and décor, more available power, upgraded bathrooms, added refrigerators in every room, enhanced entertainment options), to a new look in our meeting space, expanded concierge lounge, and a brand new restaurant, 703 kitchen + bar. This work will proceed in phases through the beginning of October, and while we have planned to make this work as inconspicuous as possible for our guests, unfortunately the work in the restaurant last week was more disruptive than we had planned on. Moving forward, we have limited work hours to begin later in the mornings and end earlier in the evenings in an effort to further minimize any impact when the majority or our guests are here and allow you to keep up your productivity. I am sorry that you had to experience the worst of it last week, we truly believe that the worst is behind us in that restaurant. We are very excited about the changes coming, and we believe it will allow our product to finally match the excellent level of guest service our team is known for providing. I would love for you to join us again as we continue to make progress, or after our update is complete. Please contact me directly, I would be happy to show you what we’ve done, and I will ensure you have an excellent experience in the future!
Franklin, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

While I was on assignment in Fairfax, Virginia, it was recommended that I stay at the Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks. The property itself was in a good location with access to major highways in the area. It sat near a large mall and the Fairfax Corner (high end shopping area with a wide variety of restaurants, shops, movie theatre, etc).

Upon check in I was informed that construction and renovation was being conducted at the property and that hopefully it would not be an inconvenience (work being done in daytime hours). It was not a bother to me but I did wonder about those who would be attempting to sleep during the day. When the reservation was made, not mention of the work was shared by the booking staff.

The hotel is quite lovely inside and the room was very attractive. Neat, clean and organized. The staff I encountered was very good and helpful with all requests. Front desk agent was excellent at guest service.

Breakfast buffet was a bit costly for what was being offered ($20.+tip) I have seen lesser star properties/hotels offer as good or better breakfast for “no cost”, but again this property is in and around the DC area.

I went to dinner in the restaurant with a business associate, the meal itself was very good however it took 45 minutes to receive our food after ordering and there were just three people in the dining room (my associate and I and another hotel guest). I had to seek out a server to ask about our food.

Internet access was a bit strange..If you desired internet access in your room there was a cost, however it you sat in the lobby it was free (how many business professionals after a full day of work desires to sit in the lobby and complete their days work????)

When attempting to download my airline ticket for next day travel, the printer would not work (tried the process 3 times). The saving grace is that the front desk agent (the one mentioned above) came to the rescue but printing off my ticket at her station (very helpful and thoughtful).
Upon checkout, several staff members could not explain my bill charges, but we finally worked through it (they were polite and courteous and attempting to be helpful).

As in the title of this review, some things need to be taken care of…

Room Tip: Select a room that is not facing indoor exterior. If wedding or event is being held in meeting room...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Kelly K, Manager at Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you very much for your thorough review. I appreciate your feedback on a few opportunity areas and can use this as a focus on training with the team. Our internet service is $9.95, which is a Marriott brand requirement with full-service hotels. We have taken a look at the printer and were able to ensure that boarding passes work, but I am glad we were able to help get this taken care of for you at the desk.
I appreciate your candor, as this helps us focus on details that are important to our guests. While renovation is happening, we are working on minimizing guest impact, and are excited to showcase a beautiful property once complete. Please let me know if there is anything else we can do next time you are here!
Columbia, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

My boss chose this hotel for a half day training. He booked our rooms. My room was very spacious and clean. My bed was very comfy. I had no problems. We ate breakfast in the hotel and the food was really good. Our training was in the hotel and the conference room was comfortable. We ordered lunch at the hotel to be delivered to our conference room. The crab cake sandwich on the pretzel roll was amazing. The hotel is under renovation and we never even noticed anything. I would stay here again if I were back in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Kelly K, Manager at Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Lori,
Thank you for your response! I am glad you enjoyed breakfast and lunch. Chef Dave's crab cakes are excellent, lots of pure crab! We are working hard to minimize impact during our renovation, and ensuring we anticipate guest needs during this time especially. We would love to see you back next time you are in the Fairfax area.
Richlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

I always look for a Marriott when I'm traveling. Was coming to DC and stayed here and was totally let down. We checked in at 1:30 am. The room was just an average room but was 250 a night. At 9 am I had housekeeping knocking on my door asking when I was leaving. I understand they want to clean rooms, but I didn't like feeling rushed after spending 250 dollar on an average hotel for 8 and a half hours. The glass cups in the room were disgusting and the bathroom had black hair on the floor. I love Marriotts but I won't be staying at this one ever again!

• Stayed June 2014
Kelly K, Manager at Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Ms. Houtz,
Thank you for your response. All feedback is productive, including negative (as disappointing as this is). Your response has sparked a conversation with our team about how we track the guests that arrive later in the night (and earlier in the morning) and ensure we communicate this with our housekeeping team to allow you to sleep in undisturbed. If you have further feedback, I would love to speak with you, my direct line is 703-667-4200.
Thank you again and I do hope we can build your confidence level with us to allow you to return.
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Close to I-66 and across the parking lot from Fair Oaks Mall, this hotel is central to most major shopping and easy access to the Interstates. The staff is top notch, very friendly and very willing to help. I had a large display and several boxes and bags to unload and they were eager to help. They were also helpful with directions and even an umbrella. The rooms are large and very comfortable. There is a Starbucks and a Market Store available. I didn't use the gym or the pool but they looked adequate and busy. The hotel is getting ready for a major upgrade so it will be even better by year-end.

Room Tip: Get on the concierge floor (6).
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Kelly K, Manager at Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Don-
Thanks for the review! I am glad you had a great experience. Our team is always ready to help out, especially when your hands are full! Our gym is very busy, and we are about to add another treadmill to the variety of equipment we already have. You are correct, we are beginning our renovation soon and are excited for the upgrade! Come back and see us again soon.

Been to Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks? Share your experiences!