“Great Marriott” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Fairfax
Nazareth, Pennsylvania
“Great Marriott”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

Very large Marriott. Nicely decorated Lobby, bar area. Small gym but workable. Concierge Lounge is very nice. The evening concierge was especially friendly and nice to speak with. My room was normal for a Marriott.

Nice experience, great rates for the DC area. I will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Kelly K, Manager at Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Thanks for the note! We have really worked on expanding our dining options in the concierge lounge, particularly in the evening. I will pass along your feedback to Laila, our evening concierge. She will be happy to hear it! Come back and join us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was less expensive than the local holiday inn and boy was it a change of scenery! The lobby is gorgeous. The front desk staff were phenomenal and speedy. I got a room on the concierge level which serves finger foods, drinks and desserts. What an experience! The attendant in the concierge was passionate about the experience each and every guest has while she's on duty. You can tell when someone loves their job and enjoys making people happy. I will be here on my regular stays from here on out.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for the note! Having people on our team that truly enjoy what they do really makes our guest experience better, and I am so glad to hear such great feedback about our evening concierge. While she is relatively new, she really does have a passion for taking care of our guests. Come stay with us again soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

This is a one of the older, standard Marriott properties. Updated completely but rooms are still a bit small. In any event, it is very comfortable to stay there, bed, bedding and furnishings were well appointed in Marriott style. Rate on weekend was sub $90 ( as low as any of the lesser properties) - they honor full breakfast comp on weekend if Lounge is closed (Gold. Tier required). Staff was nice and prompt about every request. Huge Fair Oaks mall is just a short walk across parking lot. Whatever staff suggests, take the higher speed internet - the low speed was a crawl.

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for your response. Our hotel is a bit older, but we are looking forward to a full renovation this summer that will showcase our hotel! I will take a look at our internet connection, as we have recently increased our bandwidth and it should be faster. If this happens again, please let us know and we can take a look at your access point to see if it needs adjusting.
Hope to see you again soon!
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

I was completely satisfied with my stay. I was a little worried about getting stuck in the worst room in the house on a really busy night with my late flight. My room requests were honored even with my midnight arrival; indeed, I got an upgrade. I spoke to a few different people at the front desk, and they were all very friendly, proactive, and helpful. One of the "at your service" folks was great with local area advice.

The lobby has been nicely remodeled. My one quibble: the guest room was a little dated around the edges (I'm thinking sofa and carpet should be the first things to change), but that was no surprise given the pics you can see. There are always tradeoffs. This hotel was a much better value than comparable options, and the staff definitely exceeded my expectations.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your note! I am glad our team was able to accommodate your requests. We have a tight process in place that allows us to track frequent guest requests in our system and ensure your needs are met (even if you check in late!). You are completely right about the guest room needing updating. The good news is that our ownership agrees and we will be doing exactly as you suggest regarding areas such as the sofas and carpet. Renovation will start this summer and cover all the areas of the hotel needing updating. I am very excited for the beautiful product!
Hope to see you again soon!
Holt, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

This hotel was very nice and the staff were amazingly friendly and accommodating. We stayed at this hotel the last night of our stay so we could easily return our car rental the night before departure and get a ride back to the hotel by the hotel shuttle. Then we got another free ride back to the airport in the morning. We didn't get a chance to try any of the food, but the rooms were nice, the bed was comfortable and everything was very clean.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Irmo, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my parents for a few days while we visited Washington DC. Very nice property, clean rooms and helpful staff. We didn't eat at the hotel so I can't comment on the restaurant. The king size bed was extremely comfortable...the fold out sofa...not so much. :) But I didn't expect a fold-out bed to be that great so not a big deal. The staff was extremely helpful with directions and food suggestions. We were disappointed that there was not hot tub. They did have a nice indoor pool, but we didn't use it while we were there. There is a mall right nearby with a few eating options plus several restaurants close by as well. Parking was close to the building and free...which is not the case at Washington area hotels. Very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Kelly K, Manager at Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you for allowing us to host you during your visit to DC. I am glad you liked our king sized beds-they are very comfortable! Having the mall with so many dining options is a plus for sure... you can find anything you want!
Come back again soon!
Fairfax
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

After catching what appeared to be a bed bug (official identification by EcoLab is pending-although the photos I compared online certainly look the same), Marriot's response was underwhelming. 1) They moved me down 2 floors to a poorly lit room overlooking the driveway, 2) They reimbursed me for my laundering expense- $39, 3) They gave me 30,000 points.

This doesn't come close to making up for the disgust of finding a bed bug on my bed at 5:30am. They really didn't seem to care about losing a customer. I'll probably try to transfer my status to Starwood.

• Stayed April 2014
Scott_Paradine, General Manager at Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Sir,

First and foremost, I want to re-iterate my apologies, and my appreciation of your disgust upon finding a pest in your room during your stay with us. I assure you that I, and all of our staff here, share your sense of urgency when it comes to any report of insects in our rooms. One of the attributes that defines the Marriott Host is that we care greatly about every guest’s experience. We take hotel hygiene and sanitation very seriously. As a result, Marriott has established very strict standards of cleanliness for all its hotels that either meet or exceed public health department regulations, including pest control. In the unusual event we are made aware of a concern, we respond immediately to the situation and take the appropriate steps to remediate whatever problem we find.

As previously communicated, on the day of your departure, we did have your room and surrounding rooms immediately removed from inventory and thoroughly inspected by our partner, Ecolab Pest Elimination. Ecolab did not find any evidence in of bed bug activity.

It was very disappointing to me that we dropped the ball internally communicating your report on day one. For that lack of communication, which resulted in your room move being executed later than it should have been, I also apologize. We can, should and will perform more efficiently than that in the future. Our compensation of points enough to pay for a future night’s stay at any of the vast majority of Marriott’s hotels, was primarily an attempt on our part to make up for that failure in communication.

I am sorry that you found lacking our response and compensation for your disgust and your inconvenience. I know that you feel neither myself nor our staff valued you as a customer in speaking with you after the fact. I wish very much that I could convince you otherwise, although I certainly respect your perspective. If I knew what compensation would have made you feel that we appropriately valued you as a Marriott guest, I assure you that we would have offered it. We do not, as you have suggested, have a corporate policy regarding compensation for complaints, of any nature. We offer what we feel is appropriate by way of apology for the incident and the resulting lack of faith in our services. I am sorry that you disagree with our compensation and our handling of your concern. I would be happy, outside of this forum, to consider your suggestion of what might have been appropriate compensation, and what might restore your faith in Marriott and our services. I will contact you directly for your feedback.

Been to Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks? Share your experiences!