“Disappointment following bed bug issue” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Fairfax
Fairfax
“Disappointment following bed bug issue”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

After catching what appeared to be a bed bug (official identification by EcoLab is pending-although the photos I compared online certainly look the same), Marriot's response was underwhelming. 1) They moved me down 2 floors to a poorly lit room overlooking the driveway, 2) They reimbursed me for my laundering expense- $39, 3) They gave me 30,000 points.

This doesn't come close to making up for the disgust of finding a bed bug on my bed at 5:30am. They really didn't seem to care about losing a customer. I'll probably try to transfer my status to Starwood.

• Stayed April 2014
Scott_Paradine, General Manager at Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Sir,

First and foremost, I want to re-iterate my apologies, and my appreciation of your disgust upon finding a pest in your room during your stay with us. I assure you that I, and all of our staff here, share your sense of urgency when it comes to any report of insects in our rooms. One of the attributes that defines the Marriott Host is that we care greatly about every guest’s experience. We take hotel hygiene and sanitation very seriously. As a result, Marriott has established very strict standards of cleanliness for all its hotels that either meet or exceed public health department regulations, including pest control. In the unusual event we are made aware of a concern, we respond immediately to the situation and take the appropriate steps to remediate whatever problem we find.

As previously communicated, on the day of your departure, we did have your room and surrounding rooms immediately removed from inventory and thoroughly inspected by our partner, Ecolab Pest Elimination. Ecolab did not find any evidence in of bed bug activity.

It was very disappointing to me that we dropped the ball internally communicating your report on day one. For that lack of communication, which resulted in your room move being executed later than it should have been, I also apologize. We can, should and will perform more efficiently than that in the future. Our compensation of points enough to pay for a future night’s stay at any of the vast majority of Marriott’s hotels, was primarily an attempt on our part to make up for that failure in communication.

I am sorry that you found lacking our response and compensation for your disgust and your inconvenience. I know that you feel neither myself nor our staff valued you as a customer in speaking with you after the fact. I wish very much that I could convince you otherwise, although I certainly respect your perspective. If I knew what compensation would have made you feel that we appropriately valued you as a Marriott guest, I assure you that we would have offered it. We do not, as you have suggested, have a corporate policy regarding compensation for complaints, of any nature. We offer what we feel is appropriate by way of apology for the incident and the resulting lack of faith in our services. I am sorry that you disagree with our compensation and our handling of your concern. I would be happy, outside of this forum, to consider your suggestion of what might have been appropriate compensation, and what might restore your faith in Marriott and our services. I will contact you directly for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Annandale, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Located close to Fair oaks mall, restaurants and shopping one step away.
Very friendly staff, very good service. Even though we were styaing only for one night, we would recomend this hotel to the friends and family
quick drive to I-66 and I-495

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Kelly K, Manager at Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you for your feedback! I am glad we were able to make your quick stay a great one.Thank you also for offering to recommend us, we appreciate great word of mouth. Hope to see you back again soon!
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I like this hotel. The room is clean and comfortable. I get a good night's sleep after a long day at work. The restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you feel like eating elsewhere, there's a big shopping center across the street with some very good restaurants. There's Starbucks in the lobby for those on the go. The only downside is that the restaurant staff is not as attentive as I would expect them to be.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your response. I am glad that you found our hotel to be clean and comfortable. I apologize that our restaurant team was not as attentive as they should have been. We do train our team on the importance of friendly and prompt service in the Oak Grille but will continue to do so. Hope to see you again soon!
NDHYD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

We stayed here last week for 2 nights. I don't know the class of this hotel, but the price was very reasonable. Rooms are older, but everything has been very well maintained. Only thing we noticed that was bad was the loud noise from the upstairs bathroom, when someone was taking a shower. Beds were comfortable - nothing great but good enough. Hotel was quiet - probably not fully occupied based on the price. There is a nice little Starbucks in the lobby. The atrium after the lobby is beautiful. Because of the high ceiling of the atrium in the middle, if your room is around the corner, you could be walking a bit to get to your room. Did not get to enjoy the 14.99 buffet breakfast, so no comments on that. Did not use the bar or restaurant on premises either. The location is really nice - right off of Route 50 and right in the Fair Oaks mall. We were 2 minutes from Macys, Lord and Taylor and Cheesecake factory and several other restaurants and shopping places. Service was good. Check-in was easy and quick. The ladies at the reception were very nice. Overall it was a good experience. 4 stars because of the sound from the bathroom upstairs and the walk around to find our room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is closer to elevators. You may end up walking too far to find your room.
Green Features: Towels were supposed to be dropped if we needed them replaced. Same with sheets.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review on your stay! I am glad that the location was convenient for your needs and that our team treated you well. Looking forward to your return!
Philly
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

This is a very basic Marriott; perhaps one that is in need of refurbishment. Your satisfaction will depend upon the rate you obtain. At $59 for a weekend room, I had nothing to complain about. If you get a great rate like that and then expect a high-end Marriott, you will be disappointed. The hotel is just OK, but given the rate, it exceeded OK. If money is not an issue, there are nicer Marriotts in the area.

A great deal of road noise because of the drafty windows. When we first walked in the room we thought someone had left the window open given the noise coming from the highway; turns out the window was closed but poorly fitted due to settlement and passage of time.

Room Tip: A lot of road noise from the highway.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Kelly K, Manager at Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you for your response. While I agree that your rate was great, we should be giving the best service possible, not just $59 service. I would love to speak to you further regarding any specifics we could have done better. I can also put in your guest profile to make sure you receive a room away from the highway next time you are here. If you would like to contact me, my email is kelly.klocke@whitelodging.com and my direct line is 703-667-4200.
Thank you again for your candor and I do look forward to hosting you again at our hotel, hopefully with a much better experience.
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

If you are looking for top shelf service look no more, this is the place to stay. Ajay has total command of the front desk and is 2nd to no one. The rest of the front desk staff is focused on service first. Restaurant is understaffed and slow but the food is excellent. Property is very well maintained. Only place I will stay when in the Fairfax area. Great value!

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Kelly K, Manager at Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Great comment on Ajay! I will be sharing this with him and the team. He is certainly a great asset to the hotel! Service first is definitely our mantra. I do apologize about the restaurant being understaffed. I would love to know the dates of your stay so I can look into this further. My direct line is 703-667-4200 if you have any additional feedback to share regarding this experience. I will also be sharing your feedback regarding the food with our chef. He prides himself on our Chesapeake-influenced menu so he will enjoy your comments.
Glad to know this is your home away from home and look forward to your return!
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

This is a very standard Marriott, which I mean as a complement. Great beds. Very good service and they have a great weekend rate. I have stayed here several times before. Every time it has been great. Since it was on a weekend the lounge was closed so I had the buffet breakfast in the morning. The hostess was there to great me as I came off the elevator and escorted me to a table. The food was very good and the omelet chef made a perfect omelet. The only complaint that I have is that the elevator is PAINFULLY slow, which leads to long waits to get an elevator when they are busy. When I showed up on Saturday there was a convention so I had to wait for the elevator several times.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments on the rooms and service levels. Glad to see that you have become one of our regulars! We do have a second set of elevators in the back of the hotel just in case the lobby elevators get busy with a lot of guests, but I can understand how on a weekend with lots of people trying to move about the hotel it would be frustrating having to wait on the elevator.
We look forward to your return!

Been to Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks? Share your experiences!