“Consistently Good.” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Reno, NV
“Consistently Good.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stay here most every time I am in the area -- which is 3-4 times a year. It's always consistent and very comfortable. The staff has familiar faces which says that they have little turnaround. The Oak Bar and Grille is just nice -- I have eaten there many times. Maybe because of my frequency I would suggest a little change in the menu items. The pool is awesome -- I have tried many in the area staying at other hotels, and this one is great. Lifeguard on duty, nice hot tub, great fitness center area. Super convenient next to the mall, and terrific value for the price. I have not had one bad experience yet and have stayed here over 10 times maybe? Thanks Marriott Fair Oaks for being consistently good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Here's the good: Service and just general friendliness of everyone who works there is outstanding. From the front desk to the restaurant employees to housekeeping everyone was friendly and genuinely wanted to take good care of any issues. The restaurant food was also terrific...hotels rarely have good food, and I can say that is not the case with the Oak Grill...really really good food.

Not as good: The rooms are a bit tired...they definitely need to be refurbished..they are not terrible, but they are just not as nice as the lobby would you lead you to believe.

Overall, this is a great place to stay and Fairfax VA is a terrific little town.

Pickerington, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I have stayed here several times for a conference. During this past trip, I stayed in one of the inside rooms (the hotel is hollow with rooms on the inside and the outside). Some genius at the hotel decided to permit a VERY LOUD party to go on until 12:30 in one of the large banquet spaces. Again, the hotel is hollow, so any party on the ground floor with blaring music will be heard in every inside room in the hotel. I complained, they comped my room, but I needed rest more than a free room. Exasperating.

Room Tip: Choose an outside room to be safe. Oh and their breakfast buffet is not good at all. When getting br...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We have stayed at the Fairfax Marriott a number of times and have been satisfied each time. The hotel is clean and conveniently located. On our last visit we enjoyed a wonderful Sunday brunch at a discounted rate. Our 9 year old daughter enjoyed the pool which was well-maintained. Our only complaint was that the cleaning staff did not arrive until later in the day. The beds were very comfortable...wished we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
of many places
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I did not choose to stay at this hotel or pay for the room myself so I cannot comment on the price/quality but I stayed on the concierge floor with access to the concierge lounge. When I arrived at 3:15pm, my room was not ready so I to wait 45 minutes in the lobby. I was offered a bottle of water while I waited and I did some work on my laptop so this was ok with me.

The room was spacious as I had a junior suite but the furnishings and decor badly need to be renovated as they must be from about 30 years ago. They were quite simply hideous. The fluorescent overhead lights did not help either, as they cast an unpleasant hue to the room.

The bathroom was severely cramped - there was not enough room between the toilet and the door. It would be difficult for your clothing not to touch the toilet if you stand in front of the sink. And to all hotels considering a redo- please do not place the towel racks close to the toilet. It is unsanitary! In the case of my room, the towels were placed in a cubby space under the sink, which is about 10 inches away from the toilet. I am certain that the clean towels came in contact with the toilet bowel and seat when being replaced by housekeeping.

My room had windows that faced the inner courtyard/atrium and they were constantly using that open space on the ground level for gatherings. During much of the day through about 10pm, my room was very noisy - I could hear speeches being made over PA and droning sounds of conventioneers, with or without the windows open. I pity those who had rooms on a lower floor - the noise must be unbearable. If you work in your room during the day as i do or go to bed early, this could be very problematic.

I ordered room service and despite my painstakingly repeating what I wanted for a side dish, they still got it wrong.

The concierge lounge has limited service hours and is closed between 9 am and 5pm. I can understand that they may have food service during specific hours but it would have been nice if the lounge was open for coffee, tea and soft drinks during the afternoon as well. I am used to the Hilton exec lounges that are open all day so I was surprised and disappointed that this was not the case at this Marriott.

The hotel does get 2 stars from me because the bedding was comfortable and they did not have those nasty bedspreads that are never laundered.

If I were to choose a hotel in the area, I would not return here unless the above problems are addressed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Jersey City, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I was surprised this was a Marriott. The building was more like a Holiday Inn. The hotel was right on route 50 and we heard the noise. The staff was very helpful and worked with us whether serving at the bar or helping with dinner reservation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room off Route 50
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

I stay at the Marriott Fair Oaks frequently, and enjoy it every time. From the front desk staff to the rooms to the workout facility, everything is top notch. Plus, unlike most hotels, I sleep like a rock!!! The hotel is near everything you need but also in a quiet area, especially at night. Recommend!

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks? Share your experiences!