“Could be incredible but isn't due to poor decisions by management” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Fairfax
Pickerington, Ohio, United States
“Could be incredible but isn't due to poor decisions by management”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I have stayed here several times for a conference. During this past trip, I stayed in one of the inside rooms (the hotel is hollow with rooms on the inside and the outside). Some genius at the hotel decided to permit a VERY LOUD party to go on until 12:30 in one of the large banquet spaces. Again, the hotel is hollow, so any party on the ground floor with blaring music will be heard in every inside room in the hotel. I complained, they comped my room, but I needed rest more than a free room. Exasperating.

Room Tip: Choose an outside room to be safe. Oh and their breakfast buffet is not good at all. When getting br...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We have stayed at the Fairfax Marriott a number of times and have been satisfied each time. The hotel is clean and conveniently located. On our last visit we enjoyed a wonderful Sunday brunch at a discounted rate. Our 9 year old daughter enjoyed the pool which was well-maintained. Our only complaint was that the cleaning staff did not arrive until later in the day. The beds were very comfortable...wished we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
of many places
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I did not choose to stay at this hotel or pay for the room myself so I cannot comment on the price/quality but I stayed on the concierge floor with access to the concierge lounge. When I arrived at 3:15pm, my room was not ready so I to wait 45 minutes in the lobby. I was offered a bottle of water while I waited and I did some work on my laptop so this was ok with me.

The room was spacious as I had a junior suite but the furnishings and decor badly need to be renovated as they must be from about 30 years ago. They were quite simply hideous. The fluorescent overhead lights did not help either, as they cast an unpleasant hue to the room.

The bathroom was severely cramped - there was not enough room between the toilet and the door. It would be difficult for your clothing not to touch the toilet if you stand in front of the sink. And to all hotels considering a redo- please do not place the towel racks close to the toilet. It is unsanitary! In the case of my room, the towels were placed in a cubby space under the sink, which is about 10 inches away from the toilet. I am certain that the clean towels came in contact with the toilet bowel and seat when being replaced by housekeeping.

My room had windows that faced the inner courtyard/atrium and they were constantly using that open space on the ground level for gatherings. During much of the day through about 10pm, my room was very noisy - I could hear speeches being made over PA and droning sounds of conventioneers, with or without the windows open. I pity those who had rooms on a lower floor - the noise must be unbearable. If you work in your room during the day as i do or go to bed early, this could be very problematic.

I ordered room service and despite my painstakingly repeating what I wanted for a side dish, they still got it wrong.

The concierge lounge has limited service hours and is closed between 9 am and 5pm. I can understand that they may have food service during specific hours but it would have been nice if the lounge was open for coffee, tea and soft drinks during the afternoon as well. I am used to the Hilton exec lounges that are open all day so I was surprised and disappointed that this was not the case at this Marriott.

The hotel does get 2 stars from me because the bedding was comfortable and they did not have those nasty bedspreads that are never laundered.

If I were to choose a hotel in the area, I would not return here unless the above problems are addressed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Jersey City, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I was surprised this was a Marriott. The building was more like a Holiday Inn. The hotel was right on route 50 and we heard the noise. The staff was very helpful and worked with us whether serving at the bar or helping with dinner reservation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room off Route 50
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

I stay at the Marriott Fair Oaks frequently, and enjoy it every time. From the front desk staff to the rooms to the workout facility, everything is top notch. Plus, unlike most hotels, I sleep like a rock!!! The hotel is near everything you need but also in a quiet area, especially at night. Recommend!

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Oceanside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I've been stayed at Marriott for many years, the quality and service are very consistent. But I must say "Hatton" at front desk was the best; he's so helpful and efficient; I asked for frig and microwave also a roll bed, he gets it done/requested in less than a minute. A lady gave me a bottle of water and extra shampoo conditioner even she's not a cleaning lady but I asked her for when I saw her at the hallway.
The value for weekend is great and includes delicious breakfast since I am gold member.
I love the jacuzzi tub and the location is right cross street from the Fair Oaks mall. We have wonderful stay and will be back for sure.

Room Tip: I always prefer a higher floor in case upper level has nosie
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Got this 3-1/2-Star Marriott on PriceLine for, get this... 70 simoleons. Listed on Marriott website for 279. Go figure. I do not normally use Marriott because my budget does not accomodate the rates they normally charge. But, "Voila!!!" I get a government contractor's room on a salesman's budget. Way cool.

Parking is free. Restaurant prices are reasonable. Fitness room is much nicer than those to which I am accustomed. The place does earn it's star rating. Very pleased with everything except these folks charge for WiFi in the room. I have never figured that out. Even Disney World now provides Internet access for free. But.... what do I know, right? Just go down to the lobby where it is free, or do stuff on your smart phone.

I would recommend this hotel only at the PriceLine rate, or are on an expense account with a company that has deep pockets.

Room Tip: Looks like any room is likely to be fine, since this hotel is away from any traffic noise in a park...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks? Share your experiences!