“Always very accommodating and friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #9 of 23 hotels in Fairfax
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Always very accommodating and friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We live locally, but decided to stay here for the night after attending an event in the hotel's ballroom. It's the second time we've stayed at this particular property and we really enjoyed ourselves. The front desk is very courteous and friendly. The rooms are very clean and cozy. We were upgraded to the concierge level free of charge and liked the room. There isn't much for views (the mall or the busy roads). You can tell they have nice mattresses, but they were a little soft for my liking. It's convenient. We saw a lot of transient guests, airline stewardesses and one or two business people that must have stayed over the weekend while we were there. The ballroom was typical and the food was good. The foyer where we had hors d'oeurves was very open and pleasant. Parking is free. There are computers in the lobby for you to check your email. There's also a gift shop and restaurant on the lobby level.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

228 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Franklin Park, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Let me start by saying that the loaction is great and for the most part is an ok hotel. Not the best full service Marriott but the convenience to everything outweighs it. I am a Platinum Elite Member and ejoy the perks of being one that's why I make it a point to stay at a Marriott property where I go. However, since we got the room at a discount, we have not been treated as a platinum member at all and it has been very a disappointing experience. First example, I was put in one of the rooms facing the indoor atrium so sun at all. When asked to be moved to the 6th floor, I was told no beacuse my rate was discounted and they wanted to reserve those rooms for higher paying customers. First of all, price does not determine treatment of a guess. I have stayed in numerous properties raging from special rates to free and have never been been treated as non Elite. Additionally, when asked for a breakfast coupon, I was given a Silver elite one (few dollars discount). When I specifically asked for a Platinum one, was told that none existed. However, I saw different color coded coupons at breakfast and even some that were FREE! So basically I was blatantly lied to and when I mentioned it, the response was because my rate is low. Now just to point out, the weekend rates at this hotel are much lower than what i had paid and on most weekdays my rate was ~ $30 or less!

I would like to add that most of the staff is wonderful and shouldn't be judged by a few people that lack the hospitality training!

Had this been my first Marriott experience, I would never stay at another Marriott property. Very Sad but the Fair Oaks Courtyard was much better. So disappointing!

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for an outside room at checking. Else you will be in total darkness.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This hotel is about 30 minutes straight west of downtown D.C. via I-66. We like to stay outside of D.C. as the value (we stay on the weekend) and traffic are much better. We used to stay at the Tyson's Corner Marriott but the traffic has gotten really bad there and they now have a parking charge. So the Fair Oaks Marriott is our new go-hotel.

When we were last there in January, we had a bg spacious corner room with king bed. The bathroom is very spacious with lots of space to put toiletries. There is also a small alcove next to the bathroom with a counter, mirror, and coffee maker. This makes it quicker for 2+ people to get dressed in the morning.

The front desk staff is super friendly and helpful. They provided info on nearby shopping centers and restaurants. They also loaned us a tape dispenser which was very nice.

The breakfast buffet has a good variety of food including smoked salmon. There are eggs cooked to order as well. A great example of how service-oriented this hotel was our breakfast server Elosia. Well, she didn't start out as our server. When our server got tied up talking to a table of guests, she brought us coffee and juice which was greatly appreciated! Elosia did what it took to make us happy even though we weren't her table. We'll definitely come back to the Fair Oaks Marriott whenever we're in the D.C. area.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Savage, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Signed up for two races to bring in the New Year with Pacers in Old Town Fairfax, Va. I checked in New Years eve to do the Twighlight 4 miler. The receptionist was exceptionally friendly. I told her I would be up the next morning to do another race in the area. She said she knew I would need good rest and wanted to make sure my room would be away from the New Years Party that will take place throughout the night. I slept well and was very pleased. Very nice Mall near by.

Room Tip: Reserve for floor 6 or rooms that faces outside. Very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

My mother and I have stayed at this hotel one or two other times in the past and have always enjoyed it. We were in the area for Christmas shopping and it is great that the mall is right across the road. We stayed for two nights, check in was easy, and everyone was very nice. The room was big and just what we needed. The parking lot in the front gets full sometimes especially if the hotel is hosting a party/convention. I recommend if you need more space then there is more parking in the back. There is a lot of different places to eat and things to do around the area with just a little drive away.
My only complaint was that the heat did not seem to work in our room. It was a little cold outside the weekend we went up there. My mom would turn the thermostat on the wall to 78 and it would never feel like that. It was bearable two nights; it was just cold every morning.We are use to the cold and once you got into the bed it was not too bad.
Overall though the place is nice and especially for the price and location. Will definitely stay again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

This is the 3rd year my speech and debate team has stayed at this hotel for the George Mason Tournament. It was another great stay. The rates are good, even if you do not have a special deal as we did because of the tournament. The staff is efficient and caring. There was confusion about room location when I went to check in this time, and the gentleman at the desk worked the computer until he could accomodate my request. You cannot beat the location if you have teenagers. The Fair Oaks Mall is just next door...complete with Cheesecake Factory, H and M, and other stores and food sure to please those under 20. One good stay is great; two good stays mean the first good stay was not an accident; the third good stay- not staying anywhere else unless I have to while I am in the area.

Room Tip: Breakfast was not stellar, but at the room price we had, I can take the kids by Panera.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Calvert City, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I was here on business and utilized their meeting rooms. The sleeping rooms are very nice, with comfortable beds. Plenty of room and decor is pleasant. The location was wonderful, not far from Dulles and just across the parking lot from the mall. Easy walk to the mall for shopping and eating. The meeting rooms were nice and comfortable. The staff were very friendly and helpful with every request.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Fairfax Marriott at Fair Oaks? Share your experiences!