“Bring a Fire Extinguisher for your Table” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Fairfax, Virginia
“Bring a Fire Extinguisher for your Table”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

OMG! Without a doubt, the WORST we have ever eaten. Everything, no matter what you order, is so spiced that it's almost inedible. Shrimp, hush puppies, lobster, even mashed potatoes. How can mashed potatoes be so spicy that you can't figure out what you're eating?? I went through almost three glasses of water and a beer - when we walked out my tongue was literally burning. Not sure how anyone cooking these things can even reasonably believe it's tasty. I will say the onion rings, salad, and string beans were not spicy, but my guess is they must have run out of whatever they were putting in this food. I had the opportunity to fill out a survey on the receipt and get a free $7.00 appetizer for our next visit. It could be worth $50 and I wouldn't go back. They should supply a fire extinguisher for each customer who walks in the door. NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

68% Recommend
New York City, New York
“wanting more”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I'm from NY and been hearing about Joes for the longest time so when I came to DC my friend took me. although my meal was good looking it lack quantity and my shimp was not divined that was a big issue for me. was not what I had expected at all.

Visited December 2012
Woodbridge, Virginia, United States
“Classics done well”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

My wife and I shared a marriage retreat date while watching our college alma mata play on the big screen. We shared a classic for two. Having never been to a joe's crab shack, we asked our server for suggestions and directions which he helpfully provided. The tricks on eating crabs and how to use the tools were welcome. Don't be afraid to ask directions. The food was excellent and a good value for the money. We came away full but not stuffed with crab legs, shrimp and sausages along with corn on the cob and potatoes satisfying our taste buds. We'll be back.

Manassas, Virginia
“Great Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Took hubby there for his birthday. We started with drinks and ordered the crab nachos, they were really good. For our entree, hubby ordered the new Arctic Bay and I ordered Joe's Classic. Both were delicious and well seasoned. This was my hubby's first time at Joe's and I am sure we will be back. As I stated it was his birthday and yes the staff sang happy birthday (Joe's Crab Shack version) to him. We passed on dessert because we were both very full. But next time hopefully I will leave room. Overall, great food, great experience and service.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“Great Place to Share Odd Items”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I've been here twice recently and both times my daughter and I have gravitated to the steampots. The first time we ordered up the KJ steampot which had snow crabs, scallops and mussels along with corn on the cob and potatoes. You have to like mussels (which I do) and crab (which my daughter does) to choose this pot. It's a little light on the scallops (which we both love). The next time we decided to try the Santolla steampot. Again it had mussels, but the New Zealand green lipped variety. They are meatier, but have less of the mussel taste that I like. The Santolla steampot also had King crab, clams, shrimp and smoked sausage along with the corn and potatoes. Both pots were easily enough to feed the both of us and let us try foods we never cook ourselves.
The service was great and this particular restaurant looks like it can pack in the crowds. I'll end up going back and maybe at some point I'll venture away from the steampots, but not until I try most of them.

• Visited September 2012