“Sushi was very good.” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Arlington, Virginia
“Sushi was very good.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We ate here after reviews from family and friends, as it is their favorite Japanese restaurant in NoVA. I can definitely see why, as the food was very good, and the sushi was cut very well with large portions for the sashimi and nigiri. I found it interesting that just about every conversation going on that we could hear (by patrons) was in Japanese. Location is in an average strip-mall, near a Trader Joe's. Overall the prices are average for this style of food. Service was friendly, if a bit slow. We did see signs for servers being needed. We will return as the food was very good, but it isn't a big place, and if you don't dine at off-hours, I'd recommend a reservation.

• Visited July 2014

washington, dc
“Average Catchall Japanese Restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Blue Ocean is an izakaya (Japanese bar) but has both izakaya-style small plates as well as Japanese entrees. It's located in a non-descript strip mall in Fairfax, and the interior decoration is also rather average.

Overall, the food is okay, but the prices are fairly expensive, and there's definitely better Japanese food available elsewhere in the DC / NoVA area.

The restaurant does a have group room, though, and is able to handle medium-sized groups quite well. Call ahead for reservations and ask if they have any Okinawan specialties currently available.

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Fairfax, Virginia
“Good food horrible service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Came in for the first time. Looks like they're short staffed and looking to hire new waitresses. My daughter and I were never asked if we wanted a drink. After we were half way done with our meal I asked for water for both of us and the waitress brought out 1 glass of water. They didn't ask once whether we needed anything or if our food was okay. I read the other reviews that said the staff is friendly but they really aren't. I left a $1 tip.

The food is great. Awesome tempura and ramen. We also enjoyed the rolls. Thanks, chef.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
The Villages, Florida
“Good Reasonable Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Since Florida doesn't have good authentic Japanese restaurant, where normally I would give it 3 stars, I am now giving it 4 stars. The place is authentic enough to warrant a 4 star though not in the level of other Japanese restaurants around here. It reminds me little of Sapporo Izakaya of NYC though not in their league. They offer you dishes of the day in Japanese so one gets more than on the regular menu. If you are interested, you may want to ask them to translate some for you. You might want to try Kabuto, head of a fish. You might try fried oysters or vegetable croquette. I usually have one or the other bentos on the regular menu or Chirashi. Sometimes from the hand written board. They are pretty good though wish old Sushi Taro was still around in DC. The new menu I might try one of these days when I have extra cash to spare.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Authentic Japanese Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

This cozy restaurant feels like a familiar, friendly neighborhood bistro, where you can return repeatedly for favorite foods and comfort foods. Yet, the place provides unusual selections of appetizers and entres as well. Some selections require advanced reservation and preparation. Not many Japanese restaurants are authentic. This one is.

• Visited September 2013