“High expectations but somewhat disappointed.” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Alexandria, Virginia
“High expectations but somewhat disappointed.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

Have heard much about this Thai restaurant offering buffet in Seven Corners. Finally our family of 4 (2 boys aged 10 and 13) decided to try it one Sunday. We were there early and waited a bit till it opened at 12 noon. By then, there was already about a dozen people waiting for the buffet to start. Must say they do have a good variety of Thai appetizers and entrees and were all freshly made. The servers were very warm and anticipative and always checking to ensure there was good and quickly replenished. For those who may not be too familiar with ordering from the a la carte menu, the buffet option would be great. Thai food is typically served family style and shared versus each ordering an entree for oneself. The buffet allows this variety. However, taste wise, it was very average compared to the really good Thai restaurants in the west coast. So, for the less initiated in Thai cuisine, this would be a good option but for those who yearns for the really authentic ones, this is very much average at best.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Good quality buffet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

Our family of four always choose the buffet over a la carte at Bangkok Golden in Seven Corner. Not to be confused with other Bangkok Golden (University Mall, no buffet).

There is enough variety and the food is made hot and fresh so they taste like a la carte orders, unlike many chinese buffets that food sit around for a long time. Love their desert, one of the main reason we kept coming back to this place is the one desert they have. If you're not Asian, you may have to acquire the taste for it, and it's worth trying it.

The only reason that keep us from going there every week is the MSG. We name it "MSG City" as they do use a lot of it (not in the desert though). One way to tell is you get really thirsty and sleepy or get itchy eyes. Anyway, once every 6-8 weeks for a couple plates and lots of the desert should not kill our brain cells so we still go there. Just wish they cut down on the MSG than we would go more often.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Raleigh, North Carolina
“When they say hot, they mean it! Don't underestimate it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

I'm actually going to review my experience at the Bangkok Golden at the Seven Corners location. I had the choice of the one in Maryland or this one (at the moment) and felt that this location, which was actually closer to the DC area, would be more appropriate.

We heard about the high recommendations from the Washintonian or the Washington Post or whatever it is, and decided to give the place a try. They offer a mix of Thai and Laosian food, and I was interested in trying some Laosian cuisine.

For appetizers, we tried the Chunh Mun Koong and the Summer Rolls. The chunk mun koong was a shrimp cake of sorts. I thought it was pretty good, but did find the shrimp cake to be gummy. The summer rolls reminded me of the vietnamese rolls that are offered at PF Changs, but these were much, much better and didn't fall apart.

For our mains, I had the larb seen, which was minced beef, seasoned and mixed with some other extra ingredients. My wife had a noodle bowl. I decided to order mine "Thai Spicy". I'm not one to deal with a lot of heat, but I have gotten braver since the old days when I was too afraid to eat a jalapeno popper. The thai is hot. On a scale of 1-10, it is an 7-8, depending on how you look at it. It didn't keep me from eating the entire entree, but I did have to drink a lot of water. I probably could have appreciated the dish more if I was willing to savor the flavors..instead I tried to gulp it down. That said, I did have to take my time in eating it. The wife likes food even hotter than me and her soup did have heat. It was pretty good and she enjoyed it.

For dessert, there wasn't anything in the menu, so we asked what they had. I decided to be adventurous and try this dessert like soup that's made with coconut milk and was served hot. It was amazing. It was very light and had rice flour balls included. The chew of the rice flour took some getting used to, but it didn't detract from the dessert. My wife was "stuffed", but she found a way to eat more of the dessert than I did.

I'd love to try some of the other entrees that they have there. Well worth the visit, and the prices are amazing for the food that you get.

• Visited November 2011