“The Indian buffet for Lunch is a must go” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #172 of 342 restaurants in Fairfax
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Buffet
Dining options: Dinner, Buffet
“The Indian buffet for Lunch is a must go”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

We attended the indian buffet that they offer for lunch and this is excellent value for money. You can help yourself with more than 20 different indian dishes and a couple of indian-chinese dishes. The food is good, which is also witnessed by the presence of many patrons which where of indian origin. The set up is simple (paper towels and no tablecloth) but what gets in the plate compensate for it. For 2 adults+2children plus 2 sodas we got 51usd (excluding tip).

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

50% Recommend
Virginia
“Pretty disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

I was prepared to really like Minerva, since an acquaintance who is of Indian descent thought highly of it. Honestly, the food wasn't as good as other local Indian restaurants we've been to. The rogan josh and the lamb boti kabob were both overcooked and very dry, even with the sauce on the rogan josh. The vegetable samosas were tasty but had very little filling in them. The maitre d's kept coming over to ask how the meal was. We were lukewarm with our answers, but they kept asking as if they asked enough we would change our minds. There was a large pull down screen in the front of the restaurant showing an Indian TV show, and a flat screen on a wall playing the same sort of Bollywood-TV show, which was very distracting. We thought maybe it was movie night at the restaurant. It's not a sports bar, but patrons couldn't help but turn their eyes toward the TV, even though they were there ostensibly to have a nice dinner.

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Worst food and service!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012 via mobile

Hated this place.The manager made racial slur.Really expensive and below average quality.The worst Indian food Ive ever had.Iam an Indian and I know how Indian food tastes like.Will nevergo to this place again. what a waste of money abd time.Trust me its not at all worth the money.Stay away!

• 1 of 5 stars Food
northern va
“Very poor service - waiter lost (or stole) my credit card!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

They get the star because the food was good - not the best in Fairfax, but ok.

The waitress was rude. The four of us were shown to a table which was set for two. We asked for two more glasses of water and two sets of cutlery. The woman appeared insulted and slammed them on the table.

But the real reason for the bad review is this: the waiter lost my credit card. He took it and then came back and asked for it. He said, oh yeah and ran off again. Then came back and asked for my card a third time. Turns out he had lost it. After more than half an hour of searching, I reported it stolen. He still asked me to pay the bill - despite the fact that most of it was covered by a Living Social voucher.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A day at the buffet at Minerva”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

Ok, you want to eat and you're hungry, but eat what? and how to choose? you are staring at 10 meters of food, then make a u turn and there is another ten meters of colorful dishes. There's the white and the red and green and the brown, all spread out neatly and displayed with a name describing what it is. I should have brought my Indian-English dictionary, feeling like an American tourist in a village where no one speaks English and I'm hungry. Everything looks appetizing, but should I chose the chicken karma, the vandaloo, or the saag? I'm lost, so I'll try a little bit of everything. Next, I see goat ashari and, hoping it is not spicy, I take a few cubes. OK, now I see chick peas in red sauce, and lentils in brown sauce, and yellow cauliflower. MMMMM, I am not looking at names anymore and if it looks good, I take it. I see yogurt. I like yogurt but there are three kinds and one of them is sweet. Oh! God help me! My plate is getting full and the sauces are starting to intertwine, and I have not yet even gotten to the side dishes. I look at their appellations: Onion Paratha, Spinach Pakora, Kodi Mirapakai Vepudu, all added to my plate that is starting to look like gourmet greed. I have not made the u turn yet. I feel gastronomically insane and feel that I've got to stop. I go to my table but, Oh the bread, I forgot the bread: the naan. Finally I return to my table to binge on these delicious varieties of wonderfully cooked food to the point where it did not matter that I am mixing in bites of sweet with the sour. I recommend this restaurant highly and I am going back soon to enjoy the u turn and the other side of that neat and very rich buffet.

• Visited October 2011