“Very Bad Experience” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Vienna, Virginia
“Very Bad Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I've visited this diner every 4 or so years for the past 30 years. I used to find it an old school, great diner. I love Diners and Dives.

Todays visit was horrible. We went when not crowded and ordered breakfast. The waitress was nice, but couldn't understand our order at all, had limited conversation capability, never refilled coffee, and brought the wrong toast. When she corrected the toast (she was nice about it) I started to eat it and gagged on a long hair that was on the toast/in the butter. This was disgusting and my wife didn't want to finish her waffles and I had no inclination to finish my food. Then the waitress??? and the cook had to manually calculate the check and neither knew the prices and had to use the menu and a calculator. This can't be normal. Also, a pet peeve, my wife ordered diet coke and they brought a can. This is not what she wanted - but I guess if they don't want to give refills on coffee why would they consider it on soda?

They apologized (with no offer to not charge for the uneaten food) but at this point, I will not go back. In fact, I came home and made breakfast for myself even after paying for it (and leaving a 10% tip -very cheap for me). I think this is clearly not the diner of past.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Worth the trip to see an authentic, classic diner, but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I agree with the less-than-enthusiastic reviews. The building is the real deal (and quite rundown), but the menu is somewhat limited and the food, while adequate, was nothing to write home about. What I missed most was the waitress with the blonde bee-hive hairdo, topping off my coffee, offering home-made pie and calling me "Honey." The over-extended and introverted server, who we surmised might be the cook's son, didn't quite cut it. I was amused by the Catholic, Jewish and Protestant "Thanks Before Meals" prayers printed on the menu, but somewhat put off by seeing the old Southern standard "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone." Also, there were prominent signs saying "Don't change tables after order is taken." Seriously?

Visited September 2013
Wiehle, VA
“Good Food, Service and Nostalgia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

While the food can be variable, it's always good. Likewise the service. However, if you're looking for a "Bejing to Burbank" cookie-cutter experience, you will be disappointed. This is the place to go for a real meal in the middle of the night. Or, anytime!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Maine
“A Blast into the Past”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

A very old diner dating back to the 40's with old and new jukebox tunes. You might drive right by unless you're a local because it's nothing special to look at on the outside-- but on the inside we got perfectly cooked eggs and bacon. Service was quick and with a smile--and that's why we look for diners!

Visited May 2013
“Don't bother!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

My family and I visited for the first time. I ordered the Virginia ham, toast, eggs and home fries. The ham and eggs were good but THE HOME FRIES WERE AWFUL. Please don't order them. The potatoes were dry and burnt. My husband also got the home fries and he didn't like them either. Oh and they only had one waitress as server so as you can imagine, the service was poor. I WILL NEVER EAT AT THIS PLACE AGAIN!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere