“Theres a reason this is number” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 343 Restaurants in Fairfax
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Since 1978, Fairfax City's most popular restaurant. Enjoy boathouse favorites surrounded by handcrafted wooden boat scale models and Jack Gable's view of Lake Winnipesaukee.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Theres a reason this is number”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Had lunch there today. As. Always the service is outstanding. And the bread basket devine.

Started with the bruschetta so good. The fresh tomatoes and. The bread was a perfect combo.

We then had the salmon salad and crab cakes.

The salad was perfect. Salmon cooked to perfection and great salad not to mention the goat cheese.

On the crab cakes. I always get double slaw and ask them to hold the fries. But I also know the fries are good. Just the slaw is the best I ever had. We had a great lunch today but every eating chance at Artie's is great.

Again the service was the best.

Never go wrong here for sure. Who ever posted the poor reviews must be dining some where amazing but it's not in fairfax. This is the place.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Saint Pete Beach, Florida
“Nice crab cakes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We went here on a Sunday. It was packed for their brunch. We were both in the mood for crab cakes and read they were good. We both had a Artie's lager beer and the two crab cake entree. The cakes had a lot of lump back fin and were very good. They did have panko bread crumbs on the outside. It was kind of unusual, but not a deal breaker. The bill was $60 before tip.

Visited July 2013
Clinton, Tennessee
“Average, if you don't have kids”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I read all of the reviews on TripAdvisor before picking a place to eat in Fairfax. Artie's seemed to be THE place to go. I had the crab cakes, my wife the pecan crusted trout, my daughter had the kids chicken strips. I expected great things since everyone absolutely raves about the crab cakes and the trout. Sadly, the meals were just average (a little overpriced given their average nature).
The service was about a 3 out of a 10. Our server, while nice, was rather inattentive. She only came by our table twice during the entire meal. On visit 1, my wife's drink was completely empty, mine close to empty, and no offers for refills, so there were none. At some point thereafter, my wife and I stopped eating altogether, waiting for something to drink. After about 10-15 more minutes, our server came by, looked down at our empty glasses and our half filled plates, and asked if we needed to boxes. We had to actually ask for refills so that we could continue our meal.The people in the next booth gave her quite quite a difficult time because they had waited a VERY long time just to get their check so they could leave (that's how infrequently she came by to check on anyone).
One other point of note: my daughter barely ate any of the chicken strips, and she LOVES chicken strips. The problem: they use spicy black pepper in their chicken strip batter. Now, that may be just delicious for an adult, but for a 4 year old, that does not go over well at all. Obviously someone without kids made that batter choice.
Also, as others have noted, it is a little loud. Not from the people, mind you. But from the music playing over the house speakers. It could come down a notch or 2.
So, overall the adult food was slightly above average, the kids food was misguided and below average (because it never got eaten), and our waitress was very below average. Artie's isn't a bad choice, but it isn't a great choice either.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Fairfax, Virginia
“Good eats for a nice night out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My wife and I go to Artie's every so often for a casual, but nice, night out. It's part of the Great American Restaurant chain, and it never disappoints. It's not the fanciest food, but we've always left happy and continue to return. I'm a personal fan of the smoked salmon filet and my wife really likes the roast pork tenderloin. You really can't go wrong with anything on the menu though. We definitely recommend the flourless chocolate waffle though - we get it every time!

Visited June 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Always good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

You will. Never be disappointed here. Great food. Better staff. Just attention to detail. Every dish is excellent. This is a winner for a date or the family

• Visited November 2012