“Date and Prosciutto Pizza - BEST EVER” 5 of 5 stars

571-395-4869
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Matchbox is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 346 restaurants in Fairfax
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Leesburg, Virginia
“Date and Prosciutto Pizza - BEST EVER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We recently went to Matchbox to celebrate a friends' 25th birthday and the food was AMAZING!! The lobster soup was heaped with lobster meat and the prosciutto/date pizza is the thing of foodie dreams....i'm still daydreaming 2 weeks later about that pizza. Our server was amazing (bless his heart dealing with my group of rambunctious Moms) and we were seated immediately (it was on a Thurs). I would go back in a heartbeat! Great food great service GREAT time!!

• Visited September 2013

90% Recommend
Oakton, Virginia, United States
“bad experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

The Rye whiskey ordered was not available; the recommended wine for me was available for one glass, but ran out for further glasses. The appetizer came about 20 minutes before our drinks arrived. The pizza we ordered for entry was extremely greasy; we couldn't even save the extra slices to bring home because of this.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Manassas, Virginia
“Calling all Foodies!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

What an amazing restaurant! The food was exceptional and the waiters were actually doing what they should always be doing, connecting with customers not bussing tables or setting up. This restaurant worked like a well oiled machine.

As a self taught chef, it is VERY diffucult to find a restaurant that impresses me. This is the one! I personally have been back twice and sent several excutives there for business lunches. All said the same. Great food, great experience will return again!

Vienna, Virginia
“Good food, high prices, long wait”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We won't be going back. The food was great--don't get me wrong--but we ended up standing outside for nearly an hour--despite using their "call ahead seating" system. It's not called a reservations system because it's not a reservation--instead they tell you when they think a table will be available and if they guess wrong then you end up standing, And standing. And standing. Which pretty much takes the fun out of a dining experience.

The interior is drop-dead gorgeous, the wait staff is incredibly knowledgeable, and the menu is inventive and extensive. We sampled several choices, including the house-specialty 3-6-9 sliders, the cream of crab soup, the scallops entree and one of their house-specialty pizzas. The pizzas and scallops were *very* good, the sliders were OK, and the cream of crab soup was ... well, let's just say that they're not known for their cream of crab soup.

The prices really surprised me. I guess I can't blame Matchbox--they're popular, there's a line out the door, there's clearly a trendy-chic-we-moved-out-to-the-suburbs-for-you vibe going on. So the high prices fit with trendy downtown DC. I guess I'm not the glow-in-the-dark-margaritas demographic.

Service was great for taking our order. And the minute we finished a beer, the waiter was right there to ask if we needed another. But the rest of the time, service just wasn't very good. Our waiter was nowhere to be found (well, except when the beer glass was empty), and although we were doing that neck-craning thing nobody else came to our rescue. Definitely not a team-service concept--they went and tracked our waiter down when we stopped someone to ask.

And I suppose the call-ahead-seating process needs to be counted as part of the overall service. It was incredibly frustrating to be told to be there at one time, and then when you show up you get told it'll be a half-hour after that, and then discover that the half-hour surprise wait has turned into a full hour surprise wait--especially as you see other people getting seated before you.

So what we got was the trendy DC vibe at every turn--great food, high prices, long wait, and not-my-table service. I would *love* to go back for the food. But standing for an hour? When they told us to be there at a particular time? Again, not my demographic.

Hints? I notice that the web site now says they take reservations. But when I click on it, nothing happens. When we went, they were pretty emphatic about the no reservations policy, so the web site matches that policy. But who knows--maybe if you call 'em on the phone they'll take reservations now. If you don't have a reservation, and you see a line of people at the door--turn around. There are a zillion other great places to eat in that Mosaic walking neighborhood.

Hope this helps.

Fairfax, Virginia
“Amazing ambiance, great service, and splendid food and beer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Went here for the first time with a friend for lunch. Our waitress [a very educated lawyer and neuroscientist but I forgot her name :-( ] described the beer special so well I immediately ordered one and her description of the beer was spot-on: a tasty Belgian black IPA from Sierra Nevada's "beer camp" that was not too heavy and not too hoppy. A delightful drink after a long hike on a rare non-humid day in DC in August. My wood-fired lamb sandwich was just as delectable. I will definitely eat here regularly.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Matchbox? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Matchbox, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.