“Amazing ambiance, great service, and splendid food and beer” 5 of 5 stars

571-395-4869
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Matchbox is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 348 Restaurants in Fairfax
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Fairfax, Virginia
“Amazing ambiance, great service, and splendid food and beer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Went here for the first time with a friend for lunch. Our waitress [a very educated lawyer and neuroscientist but I forgot her name :-( ] described the beer special so well I immediately ordered one and her description of the beer was spot-on: a tasty Belgian black IPA from Sierra Nevada's "beer camp" that was not too heavy and not too hoppy. A delightful drink after a long hike on a rare non-humid day in DC in August. My wood-fired lamb sandwich was just as delectable. I will definitely eat here regularly.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Woodbridge, Virginia
“Nice Lunch Outing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Went with a friend for lunch, it was my first time there. It's very nice. It's spacious, with plenty of tables and even though it was a Thursday during prime lunch time, we were seated right away. I had the salmon...YUM! My friend had the crab cake sandwich...OMG...I'm very critical of crab cakes and this met my satisfaction for sure! All of the food coming out of the kitchen looked good. I will be coming back!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Visiting mid week with some work colleagues. Very busy, with a great atmosphere. Pizzas were very nice, steak was even better!

Visited August 2013
McLean, Virginia
“Pleasant surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I wasn't familiar with Matchbox, and I assumed it was a typical carry-out. Stepping into the restaurant, I was surprised at how large it is--and how noisy it is! We asked to be seated on the small patio, and although an umbrella would have been nice on a bright, sunny day, it was otherwise pleasant, and our server was enthusiastic and attentive. We shared the crab and avocado appetizer and the lamb sandwich--a perfect lunch. The chickpea fries are delicious and addictive--and I don't even like chickpeas!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wow, Matchbox has become my new favorite restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

I have been wanting to try Matchbox for a long time and finally had the pleasure of dining at the Merrifield location in Fairfax today. It is located in a brand new town center/shopping plaza with lots of cool boutiques and dessert joints around and adjacent to a movie theater. Here is my take on the place:

1. The food was incredible!! I got the meat pizza and the wife got the bistro burger. I have to say, I had heard that Matchbox had some of the "best" pizza in the DMV; but was very skeptical of that claim. I have to admit, it lived up to the hype for sure. They import their pepperoni straight from Italy and the rest of the ingredients (dough, sauce, seasonings, etc) are made fresh in-house each day. It was thin and crisp, but not burned. The flavor was out of this world good! The burger was so juicy and perfectly cooked. I normally don't like onion rings, but Matchbox's O-rings were so tasty and HUGE!

2. The decore was AWESOME! They used all reclaimed wood from a building in DC built in 1907 and lots of exposed brick/beams. A very nice rustic vibe.

3. The service was fast and friendly

4. Easy parking. Parked in the big garage (free) for Target right across the street. Also, there are really cool outdoor fountains/geysers that kids can play in; my 1 yr old had a blast running through them (recommend bringing a bathing suite or change of clothes).

About the only downside were the prices; not cheap. The burger was $13 and the small/individual pizza was $14; I was still hungry after finishing it because of how thin it was! The larges were around $22 and I easily could have eaten it no problem.

Although a bit pricey, I would definitely go there again; the food is just that good!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere