“Great atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

571-395-4869
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Matchbox is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 346 Restaurants in Fairfax
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Visiting mid week with some work colleagues. Very busy, with a great atmosphere. Pizzas were very nice, steak was even better!

Visited August 2013

McLean, Virginia
“Pleasant surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I wasn't familiar with Matchbox, and I assumed it was a typical carry-out. Stepping into the restaurant, I was surprised at how large it is--and how noisy it is! We asked to be seated on the small patio, and although an umbrella would have been nice on a bright, sunny day, it was otherwise pleasant, and our server was enthusiastic and attentive. We shared the crab and avocado appetizer and the lamb sandwich--a perfect lunch. The chickpea fries are delicious and addictive--and I don't even like chickpeas!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wow, Matchbox has become my new favorite restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

I have been wanting to try Matchbox for a long time and finally had the pleasure of dining at the Merrifield location in Fairfax today. It is located in a brand new town center/shopping plaza with lots of cool boutiques and dessert joints around and adjacent to a movie theater. Here is my take on the place:

1. The food was incredible!! I got the meat pizza and the wife got the bistro burger. I have to say, I had heard that Matchbox had some of the "best" pizza in the DMV; but was very skeptical of that claim. I have to admit, it lived up to the hype for sure. They import their pepperoni straight from Italy and the rest of the ingredients (dough, sauce, seasonings, etc) are made fresh in-house each day. It was thin and crisp, but not burned. The flavor was out of this world good! The burger was so juicy and perfectly cooked. I normally don't like onion rings, but Matchbox's O-rings were so tasty and HUGE!

2. The decore was AWESOME! They used all reclaimed wood from a building in DC built in 1907 and lots of exposed brick/beams. A very nice rustic vibe.

3. The service was fast and friendly

4. Easy parking. Parked in the big garage (free) for Target right across the street. Also, there are really cool outdoor fountains/geysers that kids can play in; my 1 yr old had a blast running through them (recommend bringing a bathing suite or change of clothes).

About the only downside were the prices; not cheap. The burger was $13 and the small/individual pizza was $14; I was still hungry after finishing it because of how thin it was! The larges were around $22 and I easily could have eaten it no problem.

Although a bit pricey, I would definitely go there again; the food is just that good!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Great pizza!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

The first thing we noticed about the restaurant was the neat and clean atmosphere. We also loved the menus, shaped like a matchbox. we had never been to a "Matchbox" so we asked our waitress for a recommendation. I got the black fig and proscuitto pizza. It was salty and sweet. Very good. Mu husband got the all meat pizza and it was good but spicy hot! We also sampled some local beer and they let me try a wine before I got a full glass. The bill came with our own matchbox! Would definitely eat there again!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Piscataway, New Jersey, USA
“Best Pizza Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I had to give 5 star - just because of the quality of food. Though it is the first time I have been to this restaurant, but the pizza we had, I can again go back time and again for such a quality. Whenever we got a new restaurant, most of the time I asked what is special in a specific category. This time restaurant staff advised Q Special grilled chicken oven roasted and thin crust. It was just amazing - never thought Pizza could be so good.

• Visited June 2013