“Great pizza!” 4 of 5 stars

571-395-4869
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Matchbox is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 346 restaurants in Fairfax
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Great pizza!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

The first thing we noticed about the restaurant was the neat and clean atmosphere. We also loved the menus, shaped like a matchbox. we had never been to a "Matchbox" so we asked our waitress for a recommendation. I got the black fig and proscuitto pizza. It was salty and sweet. Very good. Mu husband got the all meat pizza and it was good but spicy hot! We also sampled some local beer and they let me try a wine before I got a full glass. The bill came with our own matchbox! Would definitely eat there again!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

90% Recommend
Piscataway, New Jersey, USA
“Best Pizza Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I had to give 5 star - just because of the quality of food. Though it is the first time I have been to this restaurant, but the pizza we had, I can again go back time and again for such a quality. Whenever we got a new restaurant, most of the time I asked what is special in a specific category. This time restaurant staff advised Q Special grilled chicken oven roasted and thin crust. It was just amazing - never thought Pizza could be so good.

Okemos
“Yummy Food, Great Environment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The group of us had a variety of yummy food. Mini cheeseburgers, the variety entree that included scallops, the crabmeat bisque, the crabmeat sandwich, and the fire baked pizza were all tasty. The decor was great, music enjoyable (jazz), and although there were multiple conversations all around, our group could talk comfortably to each other without elevating our voices. We also had a variety of desserts. I would recommend the 3 dessert sample: donuts, ice cream and whipped cream covered brownies, and the sorbet sampler were all very good. The cherry pistachio cheesecake was the only disappointment of the evening. Price moderate, if
you don't hop around the menu like we did! :-). Try it. You should really like it. A plus at this location.....right next door to a movie theater complex. So you can enjoy a flick first, then go there for din din.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Arlington, Virginia
“Very promising place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I withheld the fifth star from this review primarily because I have only eaten here once. A friend of mine and I had heard about all the new development in this part of Merrifeild and decided to check it out.

My first impressions of Matchbox were of very clean and modern decor combined with a lot of wood and staffed by eager but still inexperienced servers.

Plusses. Very good food for lunch. My friend had the wood grilled lamb sandwich on naan bread with a yogurt and crisp artichoke spread on the side. His also came with some intriguing, at least to me, chick pea french fries that were very crisp and nicely flavored and likely significantly fewer calories and less fat than regular fries.

I had the curried grilled chicken breast sandwich which was also but maybe less distinctive than the the lamb and with much more regular fries. In my opinion, they could offer the chickpea fries as a alternate side dish to the curried chicken sandwich as well and be well served.

We also split three of the mini-sliders for an appetizer. We had all three of the possible cheeses (one cheese on each) and concluded the only one to really bother adding was the gorgonzola. The other cheese flavors just wash out. Be warned, however, these little hamburgers, particularly with the gorgonzola, are really rich. Six of them, in my opinion, for a reasonably hungry diner would be a meal.

Minuses. First, staff didn't know the menu all that well yet, either for drinks or food. Everyone was cheerful and courteous, but several had to go get answers from someone else for basic questions like what sorts of beer did they have on tap. Second, price. Matchbox doesn't have a separate lunch menu but with one draught beer, admittedly not a domestic brew, and two sandwiches and sides, we dropped roughly $23 a piece. Maybe not bad for a higher quality lunch, but it made me feel less certain about the meal's value.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Delaware
“Absolutely The Best Spicy Meatball Pizza I've Ever Eaten!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I don't give excellent reviews to many things but I absolutely loved this restaurant and the small spicy meatball pizza I ordered. Can't wait to go back. The ambiance of the restaurant is definitely a cut above, fresh, new, innovative, and spacious. We had a courteous wait staff and the service was prompt, attentive and anxious to please. I'm not saying this is a white table cloth fancy french restaurant but for a really really good pizza this is the place to go in the new Mosaic District of Merrifield. My daughter had a pizza with proscutto and honey topping while my wife had pesto and chicken. Both very different but nothing like my spicy meatball topping.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Matchbox? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Matchbox, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.