“worst and dirtiest hotel experience ever!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8281 Willow Oaks Corporate Drive, Fairfax, VA 22031 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #18 of 22 hotels in Fairfax
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“worst and dirtiest hotel experience ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This was one of the worst hotel experiences ever! (I travel a lot so I've been to many hotels). I walked in the bathroom and there were bath towels all over the tub! I couldn't tell if they were dirty or clean, but it was a mess! There's a bar soap, that was broken in half, out of package, USED and sitting on the soap stand of the bath tub. Next I saw tiny little black hairs in some parts of the bathroom. I then started looking for the hair dryer. Instead of hanging on the wall where a hair dryer stand was, it was in the sink, TOUCHING THE TOILET PLUNGER! I went out for a day, came back to the hotel at night around 11 and couldn't get into my room. I went to the front desk again after going already for towel and soap, and they said that whoever did the transaction only marked the key available for one night. Then next morning I woke up, BLOOD STAINS ON THE SHEETS BY MY FOOT! I checked on myself for cuts, I was perfectly fine. So hope this explains why this was the worst and dirtiest hotel experience ever!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Suzanne l, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield, responded to this review, January 14, 2013

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night because it was close to a next day appointment, but wouldn't repeat no matter how convenient. Desk clerks were terrific and thats about the only plus-place was otherwise very shabby and 1970. Rug and chair were soiled and worn, tv was the balloon model, bedspread was awful, etc. Safety lock on my first room was snapped off. No amenities. Wifi was okay.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. The issue you described is not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. To prevent this from happening again, my team is addressing this issue. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. I invite you to contact me at mrd@extendedstay.com if you have any additional comments. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Fairfield, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I should start from the reception. Their polite and friendly approach makes me and my friend feel at home. In the past, I have been in many hotels in many places and most of them are clean, well equipped, and with recognized names. But only few of them make me feel at home - a place I like to be in at all times. Homestead is one of these few in my view and experience. I believe it is the employees that makes it very pleasant. Of course, there are other good things other than the reception. They are pet friendly which makes our stay more perfect. The kitchen was fully-equipped. I cooked food for my friend which left very memorable moment for both of us.
While I go out of the suites for a business reason, my friend was able to join the Gym which was in a very close location. The location of the suite make travelling to many places in the Washington DC metro area very convenient. I did also good by providing free parking.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Suzanne l, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review of your stay. I'm pleased that our staff and the amenities we offer made you feel at home. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Falls Church Virgini
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

My wife and I stayed here due to a power outage from Sandy. It was clean and quiet. The bed was a bit soft and there was only one blanket and two pillows. But again, it was clean and basic needs were met. We did not use any of the kitchen items.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Suzanne l, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
"It was very kind of you to take the time to publish a positive review of your stay. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. Our company motto is ""Excellence Every Day, Every Way,"" and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice; after all, that's how Extended Stay Hotels(sm) got to be the largest extended stay lodging brand in North America.

Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

The Homestead Studio Suites - Washintgon, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield provides a consistent experience for the business traveler. The staff are friendly and helpful and the location is excellent for those traveling to Washington D.C. for business. I would recommend The Homestead Studio Suites - Washintgon, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield for business travelers in this area.

Room Tip: all rooms are consistent
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Suzanne l, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Homestead Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We know you have many lodging options in the area, which is why providing you and every guest with professional, friendly service is our priority.

Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I recently stayed here due to close proximity to the hospital but couldn't wait to leave. When I walk into a hotel room and can only smell air freshener I think it's a sign of more to come. I found hairs in the sink and on the bathroom bench, soap scum on the sink and all round grubbiness in the kitchen area. The room itself was dark and dismal. Worst of all, the so-called in room wi-fi consisted of, on average, 5 mins per hour online and 55 mins trying to connect or reconnect. There is no food available on site or nearby so would only be suitable for guests with a vehicle. The staff were friendly. When I asked for the room to be cleaned I received an apology and promise it would be sorted the following day. Except it wasn't. Or the day after that. Oh, and the aircon didn't work. I propped my door open with a chair when i could and I could almost hear the room gasp at it's first contact with fresh air in a long long time.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor rooms, particularly those located under a stairwell.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
I recently received a copy of your review of the Homestead Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

I do appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns about the cleanliness of your accommodation. First, please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent a situation like yours from occurring. Standard cleaning procedures include a thorough cleaning and disinfecting of kitchens and bathrooms. Additionally, prior to making any room available, we inspect it to ensure that our normal procedures have been followed. Given the account you described, there was clearly an unacceptable break down in our regular operations, so I have met with my staff to determine a system for preventing a repeat occurrence.

Evansville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I put down 4 points for my stay here but should have been 3.5 (good, not "very good"). First of all, I knew it was an extended stay hotel. It was my first time staying in one of these and I had researched it before booking it (including reading TA reviews).
Making a reservation was very easy. I based my decision on location (close to a place I had to visit) and price (one of the least expensive in the area but not cheap at all). I called beforehand to learn about the options for getting there without a car. Since I arrived to Fairfax using the metro train, I took a cab from the metro station to the hotel (less than 10 USD). It's certainly not in walking distance to the station and it's next to a wide highway. Didn't try to cross it.
The room had a kitchenette, countertops and a comfortable bed. The stove was an old, electrical one and the fridge was OK. The bathroom was clean, but you could see it needed some renovations. Internet was fast enough for what I needed and didn't get disconnected. AC/Heat was OK and not noisy.
I only stayed for 2 nights, so I probably didn't get the chance to notice some of the problems other reviewers had. Oh! And there is no elevator; luckily I only had a carry-on but if I would have had more luggage it would have been troublesome.
I noticed several reviews about unclean rooms, but I guess I got lucky. I would suggest asking for another room immediately if you are not satisfied, don't wait too long.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Homestead Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield. We take great pride in offering a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price, so I was happy to read your comments about your accommodations. However, I was disappointed to read the rest of your remarks. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) brand location in the future
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairfax
Free Parking, M...
Mid-range, Pool...
Courtyard by Marriott Dunn Loring Fairfax
Restaurant, Mid...
Residence Inn Fairfax Merrifield

Been to Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield

Address: 8281 Willow Oaks Corporate Drive, Fairfax, VA 22031 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites)
Location: United States > Virginia > Fairfax
Free Parking Wheelchair access
Ranked #18 of 22 hotels in Fairfax
Hotel Class:2 star — Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Extended Stay, Orbitz, Tingo, Despegar.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Homestead Falls Church Hotel Fairfax
Extended Stay America Fairfax

If you own or manage Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.