“Extended Stay type Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8281 Willow Oaks Corporate Drive, Fairfax, VA 22031 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Fairfax
U.S.A.
“Extended Stay type Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

Has working kitchen. Relatively clean. Meant for extended stay guests.

Not within walking distance to a Metro station. Have to drive or cab.

There was a rally going on during my stay, so I had to take a cab all the way into DC for a meeting which was expensive. I could've just stayed in a more expensive place in DC had I known this would've happened.

They charge you for internet wifi.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

On short notice, I booked lodging for a Washington DC museum and Monument family trip with kids 11 and 13. After reading a range of online reviews (I question if guests are really writing many of them), the place seemed OK for the price. We planned to spend most of our time seeing the sights and wanted a place near the subway. A basic, value lodging seemed to fit the bill.

STAFF
The office staff were helpful at check in and even printed out sight seeing vouchers that I ordered online for a tour of DC.

CLEANING
The hotel was advertised as an "extended stay" hotel. Maybe I should know better, but this also meant that house cleaning was once a week which didnt provide much service for a 3 night stay. The room had a oder similar to old smoke (in a non smoking room) and a musty smell. The kids response on entering the room was "this place smells bad". The towels were not changed daily either. Likely could have gotten more if we asked but managed with same towels for the three days.

HOTEL
No pool, no business centre (office staff did print something for me), no breakfasts. There was access to a local Golds gym but not suitable for kids.

ROOM
The room had a mini kitchen - which was a desired feature. We were able to walk and shop at a CVS drug store for breakfast stuff.

BEDS
Queen bed and pull out couch - The queen bed was firm and basic. Not bad. The pull out was as expected uncomfortable.

RASH
I main reason I am writing this "review" is that I have had a strange rash on my stomach and chest (I sleep on my chest) that started on the last day of the trip and is persitent 4 days later. I attibute this to beding and infrequent cleaning of the rooms. I have real concerns about the posibility of bed bugs at the hotel and getting into our luggage and coming home. After washing all the clothes I am hopful that any bugs did not come home or survive the washing. I would not stay at this hotel or other budget / extended stay hotels. You get what you pay for and sometimes more negatives than expected.

Internet
Worked fine. A fee of about $5 to get an access code.

LOCATION
We were able to take a taxi to the Metro (subway) for about $8. There was also a bus stop within 50 yards of the hotel. Access to Washington was great. There was an all day subway pass for $8 after 9:30 am that seemed to be the best deal and the timing worked well (after rush hour etc.). The Metro was frequent an provided convienent access to the Mall. The bus required an additional fee unlike Toronto (where we are from) that has an all day pass for bus and metro/subway. There were a few restaurants within walking distance of the hotel (Wendy's, 5 Guys, Panda buffet, Starbucks). The challenge was that the area was not designed for pedestrians. To get to the CVS and restuarants we had to cross highway off ramps that did not even have lights for pedestrians. We had to watch the highway ramp lights to ensure the cars were stopped. The 5 guys restuarant had great bugers and fries.

TYSON Corners Mall
was about a 10 minute taxi ride from the hotel. Lots of food options. Huge mall and great move theatre. The shopping was good but not a lot of value / sales. Worth the trip.

I dont normally write these things but wanted to give a "real" feedback about the place. Next time I would pay more for regular cleaning, better standard, pool, location and breakfast.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

I have three basic criteria for lodging: (1). Was I physically safe? (2). Was I physically comfortable? and (3). Would a reasonable person conclude I got what I paid for? All other observations about a property are meaningless if the property doesn’t meet these three criteria to my satisfaction. The Homestead Suites, Falls Church met and exceeded my criteria.

We had never stayed before at the Homestead Suites, Falls Church. It is actually not in Falls Church, VA, but in Fairfax; VA so don’t be confused here. I chose it from a Trip Advisor report as the Homestead Suites was nearby to our relatives when we visited Washington D.C. The Suites are also very conveniently situated just off Interstate-495 and Highway 50, plus just minutes south from the Dunn-Loring Merrifield Metro Station.

Many people do not know about this quite, secluded, and affordable Homestead Suites hotel. Nestled in an upscale corporate neighborhood on a quiet, pleasant and uncongested business street, this Homestead Suites Hotel seems intentionally hidden from view for guests who just want a convenient out-of-the-way place to stay that won’t kill your lodging budget.

I telephoned the hotel and made reservations directly. Check-in was flawless with the front desk staff helpful and very friendly. We had one room with queen-size bed: cost $115.00 USD per night. Maid service is optional and costs $3.00 USD per day. Internet access also costs extra, but I didn’t use it so I didn’t get the price per day. Compare this with other nearby hotels which quoted me $225.00 USD per night.

The property is two-story with exterior entrances using coded key-card locks. Elevators can take you to the second floor too. Normally I am not comfortable with exterior room entrances, but given the quiet, upscale and secluded neighborhood, the outside entrance situation didn’t concern me here. The rooms seem smaller than most suite hotels, but the modern and well-kept kitchenettes and room suited us fine. The queen bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I’ve slept in for years.

Our room was showing faint signs of wear but nothing unreasonable. All appliances, lights, plumbing, television and television remote control were in very good working condition. We ate our light breakfast in our suite. A day later we found a delightful café in the nearby Willow Oaks office building directly across the quiet street north of the Homestead Suites. We ate a very well-prepared and affordable breakfast in that café. Just follow the signs through the back entrance of the corporate building.

Given my criteria of safety, comfort and affordability, the Homestead Suites, Falls Church met and exceeded my criteria. I highly recommend it for business and tourist travelers to the Washington D.C. area. We will definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
DcWatcher, Hotel Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield, responded to this review, March 18, 2009
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Homestead Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. By continuing to provide our valued guests with exceptional value, we know Extended Stay Hotels(sm) will remain the #1 extended stay lodging source in the North America.

Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area. Additionally, you can always book the best rate on nearly 700 hotels across the U.S. and in Canada on our website. Once again, thanks for all of your very kind words.
Hampton, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2008

Accommodations were excellent, especially EXTENDING our check out time to allow us to wait for our son as he completed his interview at fhe neighboring hospital. That was truly appreciated!

How kind of to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Homestead Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our company motto is ""Excellence Every Day, Every Way"", and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice; after all, that's how Extended Stay Hotels(sm) got to be the largest extended stay lodging brand in North America.

It would, of course, be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future. Also, know that any of our nearly 700 Extended Stay Hotels(sm) locations is eager to serve you in most major metro areas in the U.S. and in Canada. Search for them at any time by going to our website. Thank you once again, and feel free to reach out to us directly if we can assist you in any of your future travels.
Savannah, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2008

This hotel is in an excellent location with restaurants within walking distance and METRO within a five minute drive. I have stayed at this facility several times a year since 2001 and have always been pleased with the facilities and particularly the staff. The rates are reasonable for the Washington DC area.

• Liked — Staff and location
  • Disliked — Rooms are a bit small
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Pineville, WV
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2006

This place was not very clean at all. When we went to our room, there was hair all over the bathroom floor. There were cobwebs in every corner of the room and all around the edges of the floors it was very nasty and not vacuumed. We asked that the room be cleaned and they never cleaned while we were there. They would not bring any clean towels to the room. You had to actually go to the front desk to get them which was quite a ways away from some of the rooms. Also, on the first day we had to take a shower in very cool, lukewarm water.

Avoid this place at all costs. There are much nicer places in the area.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2006

The first room they put me into had a bathroom that had very obviously not been cleaned whatsoever. Yuck!
I complained and got moved to another room that I was assured what clean and would make the remainder of my stay enjoyable.
It appeared okay ... not clean by most hotels standards ... but better than the previous room. Later that evening when I had to use the bathroom and lifted up the toilet lid, it was full of some fungus ... coated in green with lots of green floaties. I attempted to at least flush them but the toilet would not flush. That certainly explained the growth inside since this toilet had not been flushed in quite some time obviously for this to grow as it had. Anyway, I had a cold so went for kleenexs and the box was empty. So I used TP. Then went to wash my hands in the kitchen ssink. The water went on but then wouldnt go off since the handle was broken internally. I finally figured out a way to turn it off and left it alone until I complained the next morning. They got the issues fixed but still did not provide me with kleenexs, despite the holder in the bathroom. I asked for kleenexs a couple more times at the front desk but they never appeared.

This place sucks ! Do NOT stay there. I wont again.

• Liked — Close to business meetings and a walk away from restaurants
  • Disliked — The hotel itself !
  • Tips/Secrets — Dont stay at HomeStead Suites in Fairfax, VA (aka Falls Church/Merrified)
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield

Address: 8281 Willow Oaks Corporate Drive, Fairfax, VA 22031 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites)
Location: United States > Virginia > Fairfax
Free Parking Wheelchair access
Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Fairfax
Hotel Class:2 star — Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, Extended Stay, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Homestead Falls Church Hotel Fairfax
Extended Stay America Fairfax

If you own or manage Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Falls Church - Merrifield, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.