“Average service, average food, nothing to go out of your way for” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #146 of 346 Restaurants in Fairfax
Cuisines: Italian
Fairfax, Virginia
“Average service, average food, nothing to go out of your way for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We live near this restaurant, have been there many times for dinner since its opening (7+), and were very pleased when it first opened. At first, the service was very good, as was the food. We even told the owner when we went the first week it was open how well the staff was trained.

Now, the service is hit or miss, and never approaches the first few months they were open. The waiters are often confused about who is waiting on a particular table (that happened to us twice). Once we even received two bills for the same meal from different waiters. (How many times do I need to pay?) If you ask the wait staff questions about the daily specials you may get a correct answer.

The food quality has declined too, and is now average. If you want anything changed slightly from the standard prep, don't ask for the change because it will come out wrong. For example, I ordered a calzone and asked for the pasta sauce on the side instead of inside the calzone (it tends to make the calzone soggy). What I was served was a burned calzone with the sauce inside. It was so soggy I couldn't pick it up, and they had forgotten to put in the ricotta cheese (ricotta is not only required for a calzone to BE a calzone, but was listed on the menu as an ingredient).

They have a decent wine list they update regularly, but often don't have the wines listed in stock. During one visit we had to order three different bottles of wine because the waiter kept coming back to say "We seem to be out of that wine." If we order wine now, we order glasses of the house wines (which are okay).

Another reviewer noted it was very noisy. Parts of the restaurant are noisier than others. If it is crowded, there are no quiet spots. There are only a few seating areas where it is always noisy; these tend to be the tables in the middle of the floor. The booths along the walls are generally quieter. Of course, the noisy areas seem to be the most convenient for the wait staff, so unless you say something, that's where they will seat you, even if there are no other patrons.

If you're looking for an Italian restaurant that isn't greasy and serves standard Italian fare, Piero's is fine. There are several other Italian restaurants nearby that are equal to Piero's, and at least one that is much better.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

66% Recommend
Fairfax Station, Virginia
“Excellent coal-fired pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

New place in the area, excellent pizza. I've also tried salads and the mussels, both were very good.

Visited October 2012
“Way too noisy for me!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

This is a very popular place, and I guess I am willing to give it another try, but the noise-level really put me off. You couldn't hold a conversation without shouting. That's not my idea of a nice, relaxing meal. The food was okay; it was the ambience that put me off.

Visited July 2012
“Great luncheon specials!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

I visited Piero's with my friend for the 2nd time last week and again enjoyed the choice of luncheon specials at this Italian restaurant. I thought it was a pizza parlor at first, but they offer about 6 luncheon specials including spaghetti and meatballs, chicken mozzarella, a turkey and brie sandwich in a spinach wrap, salads, a shrimp and fettucini dish. All the specials come with a choice of house salad, caesar salad, or cup of soup for $9.95. The portion size is very large and you may end up taking some home. They also provide warm bread with the meal. I enjoyed the turkey and brie sandwich and a house salad. The sandwich was huge with soft, warm brie cheese, cranberries, and loads of turkey. It's probably enough for two lunches. I took home a cannolli for the wife, which she enjoyed very much. I highly recommend this restaurant and it was very crowded the day we were there with two large banquets going on.

• Visited February 2012