“One of the best in the area” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Aldie, Virginia
“One of the best in the area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

The variety in beer should be sufficient motivation for you to keep visiting this place every day after your first visit . The wait staff are friendly and stay out of the way . Beer is excellent and there is one for everyone . Took a growler of the pumpkin ale back home. Some nice events on weekends. Good place to hang out after work..

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Fairfax Station, Virginia
“Beer good, food not so much”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

For beer lovers, this place has a great selection, and it's fun to try their different seasonal offerings. The food however is not great, I've had fish and chips that were terrible, and fish tacos that were inedible.

Visited September 2012
McLean, Virginia
“Would need a lot more beer to think the food was good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I met a colleague for lunch at Dogfish Head Alehouse. We agreed we would have needed to drink a lot more beer before either of us could describe the food at Dogfish Head Alehouse as even "good".

I had fish and chips. The fish obviously had been frozen. It was accompanied by flaccid fries, good cole slaw, and flavorful remoulade. You know a meal is not quite what it could be when the cole slaw and remoulade are the highlights. The plate was delivered to the table after the food had cooled.

My friend had bratwurst that was cool in the middle. He didn't like the bread.

The selection of beers is wide. Many are quite overpriced for the small serving. I paid $9.50 for a brandy snifter of My Antonia pale lager. I had earlier declined free tastings of any other brew. If you want "your money's worth", consider that.

Service at the table was friendly. The waitress, Liz, asked whether I wanted malt vinegar for the fish and chips. She was paying attention. However, when she came back and asked about the meal, we responded it was okay, but not particularly good; the fish tasted as though it had been frozen; the bratwurst was cool in the middle.. Her response was that she likes the food. I'm happy for her. A few minutes later, I was sitting in my car and I saw the same waitress and other employee exit the rear of Dogfish Head Alehouse. They walked across the parking lot to another restaurant. My colleague and I were continuing a business discussion we began in the restaurant, so we were still in the parking lot when Liz and her fellow employee exited the other restaurant after having lunch. We watched them return to Dogfish Head Alehouse. Hmm. The food is so good where they work, they go to lunch at a competitor across the parking lot.

The staff are very, very friendly at Dogfish Head Alehouse, but many don't seem to have their wits about them regarding how to interact with customers. When I entered the restaurant, I told the "host" I was looking for a friend who may have been seated already. His response: "We have a lot of people like that." Not: "What does your friend look like?" Or, "May I have your name?" After I found him myself, my already seated friend told me that he specifically left my name and description at the host's desk upon his earlier arrival.

The place is distractingly noisy. Every other word in a conversation is punctuated by a clattering sound emanating from some quarter of the restaurant.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Fairfax, Virginia
“A Mighty Fine Fall Treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Last Friday night, we had the occasion to eat and drink at Dogfish Alehouse. My wife and I ate there for lunch once upon a time, so we thought that we would share the experience with her mother. I am a beer lover, so this place was right up my alley! The food is fantastic as well. If you go for the beer, try the pumpkin ale and the IPA, you won’t be disappointed! The prices are reasonable and the service was great. One of the best advantages to this alehouse is that you can buy a six pack of their brew right there in the alehouse. The beer is fresh, tasty, and worth returning for.
Be sure to call ahead, these guys do a booming business on a Friday night!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Austin, Texas
“Great beers, food, and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I have been to Dogfish about a half dozen times in the past year or so and I am never disappointed. First off most people come here for the beers and those are definitely well worth the trip within itself. They have a wide variety of beers and most of them are available (sometimes they will have 1 or 2 that aren't available when I show up).

The food is excellent as well and the menu has a wide variety so even the pickiest of eaters should be able to find something.

I usually come here on weekend nights and the only downfall is it does take awhile to get seated but if you don't mind sitting at the bar than you can usually find a seat if you are with a couple of people.

All in all this is one of my favorite restaurants in the area and I plan on going back multiple times.

• Visited September 2012