“This is the nastiest hotel I ever been to!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12104 Monument Drive, Fairfax, VA 22033 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #17 of 23 hotels in Fairfax
Virginia
“This is the nastiest hotel I ever been to!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

This hotel was so nasty, I had to leave out three days before checkout. I had white spots on my blanket and didn't discover it until the next day! I am sick thinking about it. My sister was eaten by bedbugs and you needed shoes to walk on the carpet it was so moist and nasty. Please see pictures and find you another hotel!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Manager20190, Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks, responded to this review, October 29, 2009
I recently received a copy of your review of the Homestead Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

39 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Hampton, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

On Friday, May 29, 2009, I stayed overnight at the Homestead Studio Suites Hotel in Fairfax, Virginia, a suburb of Washington, DC. Homestead is one of a half-dozen brands operated by Extended Stay Hotels. Really, it is not a hotel at all. It is a motel if there ever was one. A large, sprawling two-story building, all rooms with exterior access, no amenities, no lobby. The rooms are small, plain, motel-type rooms with small kitchenettes – hence the "studio" moniker. I booked through AAA, which gave it a 2-star rating. The rate is cheap, however, at about $60, and I would have been satisfied if they hadn't towed my car away, at a cost to me of $175, plus $15 taxi fare to collect it.

How it happened is this. I returned to the place at 1am to find the single strip of parking spaces on my side of the building entirely full except for several unoccupied "handicapped" spaces. My room was on the near end of the building, second storey, and there were no spaces anywhere within sight or reasonable distance. So I parked in one of the handicapped spaces, reasoning that there were several available and it seemed unlikely any handicapped people would be checking in at that hour. Also, I was planning to leave early the next morning. I don't have a handicapped tag, though I am 63 and have bad knees. The sign warned of a possible fine, but not towing. But in the morning, at 7:30, my my car was gone. The desk clerk showed me a post-it note left at the desk – a car fitting the description of mine had been towed, with the name of the towing company.

When I phoned the manager, he claimed that a handicapped person checked in at 2:30 am and complained about my car in the space. He said they had to have the car towed or face a possible lawsuit. The 'hotel' had made no effort to contact me, the reason for this, he said, was they didn't have my car information on file. (It turns out they don't ask for that information, they leave it to the guest to provide it 'voluntarily.') They had other options, however. According to the manager they had a 63 percent occupancy that night, so they could have provided the complaining person with another room close to an unoccupied parking space. Or they could have offered the guest the use of one of three spaces reserved for check-ins, which were right next to the space I occupied. And they could have left a warning note on my car. The manager struck a righteous pose: I, not the hotel, had done wrong; he had been assured by 'corporate' that the hotel was in no way legally liable.

A footnote: At 7:30 Saturday morning when I looked out and saw my car was gone there was no one parked in that space or in any of the spaces nearby. It seems that many of the guests, handicapped or otherwise, are occupying the rooms for very short periods of time.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Denver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

We reserved this hotel through Priceline.com. When we arrived the desk clerk seemed intent to make the process difficult. We had asked for a room with a king bed and got a room with a queen bed. It took over an hour before we had the hotel Manager on the phone who begrudgingly agreed to give us a room with a King bed – now it was after 10PM and the rooms were available, the desk clerk just wanted us to pay an ADDITIONAL $125.00 to “upgrade” to a King Bed. Somehow they thought that because the room had a fold-out sofa, two adults could use it. This was jus the beginning.

The bed had body hair in it and makeup on the pillow case – clearly the sheets had not been changed. The bathroom fixtures were caked with crudge and hadn’t been adequately cleaned in ages. This is an “extended stay” hotel, it had no utensils or glassware in the kitchen, there were three coffee mugs that had not been washed. The towels were threadbare and the only amenity in the bathroom was a small bar of soap. The matress was so old you sank to the middle and the pillows were all but non-exsistant.

At the rack rate this would be highway robbery. It was clear that because we booked though Priceline.com they weren’t interested in our experience or comfort. There was nothing hospitable about this establishment.

The staff was less than professional and generally argumentative and the hotel isn’t worth staying at in ANY event.

Save yourself and your trip – stay anywhere else.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Extendedstay, Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks, responded to this review, November 6, 2009
Please let me begin by thanking you for bringing your concerns to our attention. I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to provide feedback of your experience. We take it very seriously when we fail to meet or exceed the expectations of any guests.

Secondly, I wish to extend a sincere apology for any inconvenience caused to you, on behalf of the entire staff of the Homestead Studio Suites Hotel located in Fair Oaks. Your comments are of a serious nature, and are being treated as such. We are looking into where and why there was a breakdown in the service that you encountered at the hotel. We understand apologies will not change the experiences you have encountered at the hotel but please believe me when I tell you we sincerely regret that you had to go through this with us.

We are working hard to maintain strict standards and to help improve and have made great strides in these areas. The experiences you had at the Homestead Studio Suites in Fair Oaks is far from the level of service that our guests have come to expect from us and also far from we expect of ourselves.

Again, please accept our sincerest apologies and thank you for giving us your feedback so we can work towards bettering the hotel and our service we provide to our guests.
gardeneer
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2009

The office staff were great--tried very hard to accommodate us. First room, bed was broken and tub had water in it. Second room--not cleaned. Third room--bathroom had dirty linens. Finally Fourth room was moderately clean. Housekeeping staff needs to care about getting the rooms clean. We had a bad experience--hope it was somehow just a fluke.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience at Homestead Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks. Providing for your total satisfaction, from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart, is my staff's primary duty. Hearing that we failed in your case is truly saddening and please accept our sincerest apologies on behalf of the entire management and staff.

Customer service and clean rooms are two main elements that we strive for and we demand that every room is inspected prior to making it available to our guests. Clearly there was a failure in our system in regard to your room. Upon hearing your review of the property, we have set new guidelines to enforcing that these systems are adhered too and management have met with all of our staff and used your review to demonstrate in which specific areas we must improve.

Again, I apologize and promise you that we are committed to your total satisfaction and making strides to change the hotel for the better. If there is anything you would like to discuss further with me or our guest relations team, please don't hesitate to contact us by visiting our website and clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope you will give us the honor of having you as a guest again if future travels will bring you into our area and give us the chance to show we’ve changed.
southington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

My self and a coworker stayed at this hotel. My room had a rodent dropping in the bed and dirty dishes.The carpet was filthy and bed sheets dirty. My friends room had ants and a broken burner on the cooktop. The "high speed internet" is very slow and they will ban you if you use too much bandwidth. So forget games or youtube videos. Also the channel selection is bare minimum. The hotel was cheap and the location is great for a washington commmute compared to other extended stays in the area but it isnt worth it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Manager20190, Hotel Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks, responded to this review, April 10, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience at Homestead Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks. Providing for your total satisfaction, from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart, is my staff's primary duty. Hearing that we failed in your case is truly disheartening, and for that, I offer you my sincerest apology.

NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2008

Was shown 2 rooms and was very disappointed , rooms were not clean, smelled, and the bed was terrible . Did not stay.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Homestead Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2006

This was pretty much the roach motel. There were spiders in the shower, and a cockaroach lived in the lobby. They don't change the sheets if you are not there for more than seven days, and you have to beg to to get towels from the limited housekeeping service. The rooms also smelled strongly of cigarette smoke, and the internet was broken for the entirety of my four night stay. There are so many places you could stay around Fairfax that would be so much more pleasant. Don't stay at the homestead suites

Stayed June 2006

Been to Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks

Homestead Studio Hotel Fairfax
Homestead Studio Hotel
Homestead Studio Suites Fairfax
Address: 12104 Monument Drive, Fairfax, VA 22033 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks)
Location: United States > Virginia > Fairfax
Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Wheelchair access
Ranked #17 of 23 hotels in Fairfax
Hotel Class:2 star — Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Extended Stay, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.

If you own or manage Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.