“Convenient location, friendly staff, just prepare for ants everywhere!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12104 Monument Drive, Fairfax, VA 22033 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Fairfax
“Convenient location, friendly staff, just prepare for ants everywhere!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

We were here for 3 nights. It's a great location, the mall is walking distance and the metro is 2 exits away. The staff was friendly and helpful. There was a serious ant problem though. I mean not a few in the kitchen here and there, I mean on the beds (and quite a few of them), tables everywhere! I had to wonder if they had such a serious any problem how were they preventing bed bugs (where is the exterminator). The air was very inconsistent. We would leave for the day and return to a stuffy warm room (air was set on 68-70), was like that through the night as well. We came into the room with a half a roll of toilet paper, the desk was fine to give another when we went to the office. The kitchen drawers, cabinets etc was dusty. Cigarette hole in the bed comforter and on the bathroom sink cigarette marks. The room did not smell of smoke though. It was alright for the value, the biggest problem being the ants!!!

• Stayed May 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
New Castle, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

This was my second Stay. The Renovation were great! The only problems were a couple of ants on the eating counter. Also, not enough cooking utensils. Only one mug provided. No drinking glasses. Last, some one checked us out early in the morning. I wanted to check the internet for somethingand was Unable be cause. The staff checked us out early in the morning. Therefore we made and I'm unnecessary stop at the office to check out.

• Stayed April 2014
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed our newly renovated hotel. Still, I’m sorry for the level of cleanliness in your room and the maintenance issues you experienced during your stay. I will meet with the staff to review our cleaning procedures and maintenance policies to ensure your experience is not repeated. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

A room with ants! We found four ants on the kitchen table. An ant on the bathroom floor and an ant on the bathtub. The fitted bedsheet had a dirty black stain on it. We had to sleep on top of the flat bedsheet. Found dried tissue inside the pillow case. A stain on the rug. No shampoo (had to ask for it at the office front desk) or lotion. Just two bars of soap. Bathroom sink is broken and clogged. one of the towels was yellowish and dirty. Bed was hard. Poor customer service. The lady behind the office front desk had an attitude and threw us the shampoo when we asked. It was very hard finding our room. They need arrows on the buildings to point us to a direction where the rooms are. We wasted time and energy looki ng for our room from a long tiredsome trip. So if for example your room is 211. The 2 doesn't stand for second floor. It stands for second building. Odd numbered rooms are on one side of the building. I highly don't recommend such a place.

• Stayed April 2014
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Ami - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that our level of customer service and cleanliness did not meet your expectations. I am working with the housekeeping staff to improve our cleaning procedures so that this issue does not affect our future guests. Also, I will meet with our entire staff to review our customer service policies and guest protocol to ensure your experience is not repeated. Please know, while we do not offer toiletries in your room, we do have an amenity basket available at the front desk to enjoy upon request.

If you would like to provide any additional feedback, please feel free to contact me directly at, fok2@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better stay in the future.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Best place to stay, in the heart of fairfax, VA, with a lot of shopping centers around and the mall. rooms are enough for families, clean with queens or two beds in it, kitchen and free internet. Ask about Terri, a very nice lady at the front desk.

Room Tip: rooms on the first floor are bigger .
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such a wonderful things about our hotel and staff. I'm so pleased to hear that you liked your room, especially the kitchen, as well as having free Wi-Fi. Also, I am glad that you enjoyed the service our staff provided and our hotel's location.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

I value great customer service. The staff has been really polite and helpful. From our welcome to our soon to be departure, staff has helped with local restaurant and shopping suggestions. Even the faxes we've had to send. They are making efforts to update the rooms. They've recently changed the TV's to flat screens, and the mattresses are being switched out

• Stayed June 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm thrilled that your experience was enhanced by the great customer service our staff provided to you during your visit to our hotel. I am proud of our team for making your stay comfortable and that we were able to provide you with a "home away from home".

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Good property in great location. Basic hotel but with kitchen. Clean Rooms. Amazing staff and always very helpful. Quiet and pretty property, good parking. Close to a Walmart and many good restaurants and Mall in walking distance. Good Wifi. Stayed before and will again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
It is so rewarding to read that you had a great stay with us. Thank you for your comments. It's great to hear that you were completely satisfied with the level of cleanliness in your room. As well, I am so glad that you enjoyed our convenient location and free WiFi.

Burnsville, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

VERY basic hotel that met my needs for my recent 4-night stay.

Pros: Convenience. Close to major routes to get you around NoVA or into DC. Also close to just about any retail option you need (Target, Walmart, etc.) Bonus points for proximity to Wegman's - an enormous upscale grocery store. Your mileage may vary, but a big "plus" was also the discounted rate I received bidding through Priceline (I didn't choose this hotel).

Also "pro", although it's nestled in next to some major roads, it's relatively quiet and has a "safe" feel to it. I didn't get the sense that my car was going to be rifled through.

Summary of pros: If you're a utilitarian that says "I don't care since I'm just sleeping there" you'll be fine here as long as you don't pay much.

Cons: I forgot to specify non-smoking and was put in a smoking room the first night (I checked in after midnight and there were no other options available). The clerk told me to return the next morning and they would switch me. When I came to the desk in the morning, the different clerk informed me that the switch was subject to a $25 fee. These types of add-on fees are virtually non-existent in the hotel world anymore and it was off-putting.

I'm not a haggler and was already on a very discounted rate, but on second thought, I should have politely asked "can you waive that fee?" as I had only been in the original room for a total of 10 hours and it required almost prep for their next guests. Anyway...I was willing to pay to get out of the room that smelled like a cigarette.

Along the lines of "nickel-and-diming", this is maybe the first hotel room I've ever stayed in (including "extended stay" places) that didn't offer shampoo. There are zero creature comforts here. No shampoo, no mouthwash, no disposable cups, no newspapers at the door in the morning, no coffee/sugar/creamer, no dirty laundry bag...nothing that you may be accustomed to from other hotels.

It might also bother some guests that the hotel shows its age. Besides the dated furnishings, tiny old TVs, and decor, the rooms probably haven't had a really deep cleaning or paint job in years. Example, if you pay any attention, in the bathroom and kitchen, you could see where water/toothpaste/etc. has splashed on the wall. Shower curtains show rust spots from the fixture. There are stains on the counters where smokers must have set their cigarettes at some point. Carpet and furniture have minor stains/worn spots/holes.

Summary of cons: If you care about the small stuff, stay somewhere else for sure.

One more con, and this is probably my strong personal prejudice: This place is very smoker-friendly (blech). I LOVE the hospitality industry's trend towards entirely non-smoking properties/businesses. Not only was the smoking room I was put in (again, my fault for forgetting to specify) a smoking room, it was nasty. Then, my non-smoking room had an outdoor ashtray thing right outside (so the A/C would draw the stench into my room). I kept moving it away from the doors to the rooms to spare myself and my neighbors the stench, but every day, they moved it back. One more day and I would have hurled it out onto Route 50. Most hotels are much better about subtly and politely isolating the minority of guests with this filthy habit away from where it affects the majority, but this place doesn't seem to care. I get it...it's extended stay, etc. But it is what it is...you let people smoke everywhere, you get complaints from people like me.

Again, I was here on a deep discount ($39/night via Priceline "2-star bid"). I know what I'm getting into when I place such a low-ball bid. In this case, I was expecting exactly what I got. That said, $39/night seems appropriate for the property...spending more than $50, I would have been really disappointed.

Room Tip: If you don't ask for non-smoking, you'll get put in a room that smells like an ashtray. Also...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks

Address: 12104 Monument Drive, Fairfax, VA 22033 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks)
Location: United States > Virginia > Fairfax
Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Wheelchair access
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Fairfax
Hotel Class:2 star — Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Extended Stay, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Homestead Studio Hotel Fairfax
Homestead Studio Suites Fairfax

If you own or manage Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.