“Helpful and friendly staff really make the difference.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12104 Monument Drive, Fairfax, VA 22033 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Fairfax
“Helpful and friendly staff really make the difference.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

I value great customer service. The staff has been really polite and helpful. From our welcome to our soon to be departure, staff has helped with local restaurant and shopping suggestions. Even the faxes we've had to send. They are making efforts to update the rooms. They've recently changed the TV's to flat screens, and the mattresses are being switched out

• Stayed June 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm thrilled that your experience was enhanced by the great customer service our staff provided to you during your visit to our hotel. I am proud of our team for making your stay comfortable and that we were able to provide you with a "home away from home".

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Good property in great location. Basic hotel but with kitchen. Clean Rooms. Amazing staff and always very helpful. Quiet and pretty property, good parking. Close to a Walmart and many good restaurants and Mall in walking distance. Good Wifi. Stayed before and will again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
It is so rewarding to read that you had a great stay with us. Thank you for your comments. It's great to hear that you were completely satisfied with the level of cleanliness in your room. As well, I am so glad that you enjoyed our convenient location and free WiFi.

Burnsville, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

VERY basic hotel that met my needs for my recent 4-night stay.

Pros: Convenience. Close to major routes to get you around NoVA or into DC. Also close to just about any retail option you need (Target, Walmart, etc.) Bonus points for proximity to Wegman's - an enormous upscale grocery store. Your mileage may vary, but a big "plus" was also the discounted rate I received bidding through Priceline (I didn't choose this hotel).

Also "pro", although it's nestled in next to some major roads, it's relatively quiet and has a "safe" feel to it. I didn't get the sense that my car was going to be rifled through.

Summary of pros: If you're a utilitarian that says "I don't care since I'm just sleeping there" you'll be fine here as long as you don't pay much.

Cons: I forgot to specify non-smoking and was put in a smoking room the first night (I checked in after midnight and there were no other options available). The clerk told me to return the next morning and they would switch me. When I came to the desk in the morning, the different clerk informed me that the switch was subject to a $25 fee. These types of add-on fees are virtually non-existent in the hotel world anymore and it was off-putting.

I'm not a haggler and was already on a very discounted rate, but on second thought, I should have politely asked "can you waive that fee?" as I had only been in the original room for a total of 10 hours and it required almost prep for their next guests. Anyway...I was willing to pay to get out of the room that smelled like a cigarette.

Along the lines of "nickel-and-diming", this is maybe the first hotel room I've ever stayed in (including "extended stay" places) that didn't offer shampoo. There are zero creature comforts here. No shampoo, no mouthwash, no disposable cups, no newspapers at the door in the morning, no coffee/sugar/creamer, no dirty laundry bag...nothing that you may be accustomed to from other hotels.

It might also bother some guests that the hotel shows its age. Besides the dated furnishings, tiny old TVs, and decor, the rooms probably haven't had a really deep cleaning or paint job in years. Example, if you pay any attention, in the bathroom and kitchen, you could see where water/toothpaste/etc. has splashed on the wall. Shower curtains show rust spots from the fixture. There are stains on the counters where smokers must have set their cigarettes at some point. Carpet and furniture have minor stains/worn spots/holes.

Summary of cons: If you care about the small stuff, stay somewhere else for sure.

One more con, and this is probably my strong personal prejudice: This place is very smoker-friendly (blech). I LOVE the hospitality industry's trend towards entirely non-smoking properties/businesses. Not only was the smoking room I was put in (again, my fault for forgetting to specify) a smoking room, it was nasty. Then, my non-smoking room had an outdoor ashtray thing right outside (so the A/C would draw the stench into my room). I kept moving it away from the doors to the rooms to spare myself and my neighbors the stench, but every day, they moved it back. One more day and I would have hurled it out onto Route 50. Most hotels are much better about subtly and politely isolating the minority of guests with this filthy habit away from where it affects the majority, but this place doesn't seem to care. I get it...it's extended stay, etc. But it is what it is...you let people smoke everywhere, you get complaints from people like me.

Again, I was here on a deep discount ($39/night via Priceline "2-star bid"). I know what I'm getting into when I place such a low-ball bid. In this case, I was expecting exactly what I got. That said, $39/night seems appropriate for the property...spending more than $50, I would have been really disappointed.

Room Tip: If you don't ask for non-smoking, you'll get put in a room that smells like an ashtray. Also...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed here for ten nights. The furnishings are a bit basic and dated, but the staff and location more than make up for it. Everyone is extremely friendly and helpful. It's right in the middle of the action in Fair Oaks - easy walking distance to the mall. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Rob D, Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to send your comments about your stay with us. It makes me so happy to hear how our team was able to make your stay so enjoyable. We are so happy we could serve you and look foward to your returning when you are in the area!
Shenandoah, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

The nicest staff. Now I didn't see any prostitutes(don't know if it is a good thing or a bad thing) but I saw a lot of people who work hard getting a good night's rest. I found the rooms comfortable. It wasn't loud and it was peaceful. It is close to everything.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Rob D, Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to send us your positive comments.It is so nice to hear that you enjoyed our Hotel and the surroundings. I can't thank you enough for choosing Homestead and we look foward to your next stay with us.
Royersford,PA.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We had an enjoyable stay at Homestead Studio Suites. A kitchenette with a refrigerator was included, along with dishes and everything you would need for a SATISFACTORY STAY. It was quiet and I liked the layout of the place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the kind comments. It is so nice to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I know you have so many choices of where to stay and I want to thank you for choosing Homestead
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Homestead suites allows prostitutes stay and work in there suites. Different men coming and going all through the night and early morning hours. Did not get any sleep and it was very loud and disgusting.

• Stayed March 2013
Rob D, Manager at Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
"I recently received a copy of your review of the Homestead Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

It is my pleasure to provide an explanation regarding the issue you described. Every part of our hotel, from the in-room features, to the design of our guest corridors, to the personalized voicemail, is an integral part to creating a ""home away from home"" experience for our guests. Since we recognize that a quiet, relaxing environment is critical to this goal, we have several systems to ensure that noise from within or outside the hotel doesn't interfere with your stay. Although rare, there are instances where a guest may hear noises from the surrounding area. Whenever we are informed of such disturbances, our standard operating procedure is to promptly identify the source of that disturbance and resolve it. I take full responsibility that we were unable to resolve this situation to your satisfaction during your stay.

Been to Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks

Address: 12104 Monument Drive, Fairfax, VA 22033 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks)
Location: United States > Virginia > Fairfax
Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Wheelchair access
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in Fairfax
Hotel Class:2 star — Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Extended Stay, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Homestead Studio Hotel Fairfax
Homestead Studio Suites Fairfax

If you own or manage Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.