“Not recommended - dirty and rude” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks Mall

You added Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks Mall to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks Mall
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   12055 Lee Jackson Memorial Hwy, Fairfax, VA 22033   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Fairfax
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not recommended - dirty and rude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Hotel is dirty, with high turnover at front desk and in housekeeping. Front desk clerks are more helpful than management, which has seen turnover. Housekeeping is sloppy as all get out, with hairs, crumbs left behind in sheets or mattress covers, and inside drawers, next to night stands, etc. Pillows can be smelly, and blankets have stains or cigarette burns in them. Housekeeping often leaves fingerprints behind on items in kitchen, like the coffee maker and toaster. Housekeeping people are allowed to talk on their cell phones while cleaning rooms, which is outrageous in the extreme and reflects extremely poorly on management. Kitchen floor looked clean but was filthy dirty after wiping up a spill on the floor. Ugh. Since they have high turnover in housekeeping, one can only guess they will put up with unprofessional behavior of housekeeping just to get the rooms cleaned.. They can also be rude. If you complain to the front desk about these issues, they will begin to view you as a troublemaker, instead of as a paying guest who deservessome basic level of cleanliness and courtesy. Their attitude towards customer service is basically, they are already providing you a room at a cut rate, so you have no right to expect a modicum of cleanliness and professionalism. I don't recommend staying here at all. I would suggest you go to a Hilton Homewood Suites or Marriott Courtyard, Residence Inn, etc., where management and staff are trained to professional standards, and rooms meet decent levels of cleanliness. By and large, Extended Stay hotels are a low type of brand and can never compete with Marriott, Hiltion, and Comfort Inns. Pay a little more and stick with the higher quality places. It will be worth it.

Room Tip: Go to one of the other hotels recommended above.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Onancock, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Ended up here reluctantly when my conference hotel was sold out. I had never stayed at this chain before, but had had less than favorable experiences at similar chains. Nice surprise here. Nothing fancy at all (who would expect fancy anyway?). But, the room was clean and comfortable. Great location right at a major mall. Staff was friendly enough (not many, but friendly). Kitchen facilities were great. I would definitely stay here if I had to work in the area for a week or so. Would be better than a regular hotel if you wanted to save money and perhaps cook for yourself. Bed was a bit hard for my taste, but I still slept fine.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

It's a great location, the mall is walking distance and the metro is 2 exits away. The staff was friendly and helpful . Also check in process is very easy . Honestly I was surprised at how good the rooms are.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

The check in process was a nightmare! Unfortunately, I would later discover that it was the best part of my stay. There are bugs in the filthy room, dirty table tops, filthy kitchen, floor in bathroom was saturated-- despite the fact that I'm a handicapped person in a handicap room? The bed is also filthy. The bedding is cheap, saturated and there is gum on the head board? Dirt on the walls, stains on the carpet, dirty floors in the bathroom, rust/mold on kitchen surfaces, etc. I will update with photos after I find a suitable replacement.

I have to advise that Millie was the one saving grace in this place (and there was only one). She went out of her way to assist me and I would encourage anyone stuck in this place to speak with her.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel. I can offer no better advice.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

The hotel smelled of cigarette smoke.

The one elevator had multiple pieces of trash in it.

The first room had dirty silverware in it.

The second room had a busted radio and the phone was disconnected.

We had to leave early due to a family emergency, although We should have left anyways.

Check out was awful. The staff that helped us seemed to be annoyed to do any work.

After we were billed, my girlfriend noticed we had been overcharged, since she's military and should have gotten a better rate.

When I asked for then to alter it, the woman began to whine and protest, but after I showed her my girlfriends military I.D. she finally discounted our bill like we originally had agreed to.

Great way to treat military?

I will never stay in this or this franchises hotel unless some big changes are made to staff and the hotel itself.

• Stayed May 2014
Fairfax
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

For the value it's a good deal
I always stay here to save
But I'm fully aware that it won't b the cleanest hotel, other than that I love the location, very well situated in the heart of fairfax in front of sears fair oaks mall

• Stayed May 2014
McLean, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I have stayed at two "extended stay america". None of them were good experiences. Honestly I can give this hotel 0 stay without hesitation but considering they saved me from a broken air conditioner, I give them two stars just as generous as I can be...

....Where to start....I had this broken air conditioner and it went so hot that night so I had to sleep outside. It was past 12 am so no priceline or online booking. I know the area was very filled up (my regular SPG/Hyatt would bill me for >$300) so I booked this hotel just for a night filler.

They did the job in a horrible manner.

The guy who checked me in was simply inexperienced. But he was the only guy left alone. It took him ~1.5 hours checking me in. I felt pity for him. Basically, he had no privilege checking me in electronically at all, so he tried and tried and I was there waiting and patiently waiting. I essentially gave him my CC and left for the room after ~1 hr (with another angry guest asking for an extra blanket again and again while this poor front desk kid is failing checking me in).

I was then woken up by the same kid after another 45 minutes -- He brought a blank customer fill in form. Seriously? No, I DO NOT BLAME THIS KID. THE KID WORKED VERY HARD AND TRIED TO SATISFY. THE MANAGEMENT HAD NOT TRAINED THE KID. THEY KNOW ABOUT IT, THEY DIDN'T TELL HIM. THEY DIDN'T GIVE HIM ANY POWER BUT LET HIM BE IN CHARGE OF THE NIGHT. THIS IS SERIOUSLY BAD MANAGEMENT.

The next morning I was woken up at ~10:30 by the front desk manager (which is fine and considerate), and to fill out the form. I confirmed with the front desk manager that the kid could not electronically check me in that night (but the poor kid didn't know).

Now, this is just the bad experience. The "hard product" itself is completely unacceptable. The whole place is just worn down -- except the logo of "Extended stay America". Linens, towels, desk, utensils, all worn. Not very dirty per say but it's so old and worn and the towel is somewhat yellow. Oh, forgot to mention that the whole room smelt Curry (probably some guy cooked Curry here for a long time? Bad idea man! Bad idea!)

I have completely no idea why people rate this place well. Jesus. Open your eyes and stay at a Hyatt or Marriot or Hilton or SPG, or whatever. They don't cost that much more (and they are sometimes a lot cheaper!). And when I see people rate any of these chains 2 stars, I am thinking, how would they rate these "extended stay americas"? minus one stars? It's amusing to think about it...

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks Mall? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks Mall

Address: 12055 Lee Jackson Memorial Hwy, Fairfax, VA 22033
Location: United States > Virginia > Fairfax
#11 Business Hotel in Fairfax
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks Mall 2.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Extended Stay, Priceline, Booking.com and Tingo so you can book your Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks Mall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Extended Stay America Fairfax
Extended Stay Fairfax
Fairfax Extended Stay

If you own or manage Extended Stay America - Washington, D.C. - Fairfax - Fair Oaks Mall, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.