“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 22 hotels in Fairfax
Boone, Iowa
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

We noticed some low rates online and figured they had construction going on, but they didn't. It was a great hotel, great staff, great amenities.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

350 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
ridgway, pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

In addition to being a great value and having friendly and attentive staff, the location was good and out of the dc traffic, the rooms were what I expected for HGIs, and the rooms and facility were clean. I give it a 10.

We were here for the July 4 holiday and visited the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum, staying out of the capital area. Nice.

Will stay here again when visiting family in the DC area.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Greenville, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

I arrived at the front desk at around 10 pm, with my guaranteed reservation and was told that I would need to further guarantee the room with a credit card or cash payment. Not having been told of this previously, I questioned the need. I have been staying at hilton owned properties for more than 15 years without ever having to do this before. The front desk manager called the general manager about it, and on the phone to me demanded payment without further explanation.
I had just driven for over 11 hours straight, I was tired, I am hard of hearing, I have sevral physical disabilities that made it difficult to respond quickly or as clearly as I would have liked, and I was tired and just wanted to check in and rest, so I could continue my trip the next day. There were numerous young people, healthy looking and prosperous milling around the front next to a bar and food buffet area that was crowded and very noisey. The front desk manager was training a new clerk, while handing out free beer in bottles to the young male customers in the lobby area, and he constantly maintained a huge fake smile at all times.
The manager on the phone spoke to him and he told me to leave. I was appalled, and shocked. I asked why, and was told that they don't want my business. I was also told that if I persisted, they would CALL THE POLICE!.
I have never been talked to that way before in my life and I was in fear, and couldn;'t even think. I can not understand to this day what the problem was, or why I was treated the way they treated me. The desk person said he would find another hotel for me, and he called around and found a related hotel many miles out of my way and at a higher rate.
I could not find it and wound up staying in my car all night, and arriving late and disheveled for my possible employment appointment the next day.
I can only go by a feeling I had after looking back at the clientele in the lobby that since I did not fit in with the ideal they were looking for, they made it impossible for me (and likely others like me, who may be a little older, a little tireder, to stay there and offend the young , prosperous engineers and newly wealthy , healthy people that they cater to).
I will never stay in one of their properties again, and I am letting everyone I know about my treatment by them. That is a lot of friends, family and colleagues.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
ssesasjs, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Fairfax, responded to this review, September 13, 2010
We're sorry for the problem you experienced and do not take the situation lightly. The problem was solely due to a payment situation. Unfortunately we cannot check-in guests without a form of payment for the room. It is our intention to make sure you have the best stay possible with HGI and hope you give us a try again.
Walnutport, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

The hotel is beautiful, convenient to the highways, restaurants, shopping. This hotel is run like a 5 star! I have stayed multiple times and each time is a pleasure. Super staff.

Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Columbia PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

Extremely clean and well kept facility with friendly, helpful and professional staff. Close to DC and surrounding historical sights. (ie-Alexandria & Georgetown) and excellent restaurant.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

The staff at the HGI Fairfax are top notch and this trip was no exception. They all know you by name and make you feel at home in their hotel. Thanks for another great stay!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

I had reservations at this location for the night of April 22nd for 2 nights. My flight out of California was delayed due to fog and eventually completely cancelled. I called the hotel around 9pm when I found out the flight would not be leaving to let them know to cancel the reservation. I made my reservation through hotels.com but the only number I had on me was the direct number to the hotel in case when I got to Virginia I needed directions. Upon calling the hotel I was told I would need to speak to a manager the following day about a refund. The following day instead of calling the hotel I called hotels.com. The lady was very polite and put me on hold letting me know she would inquire about the refund as the situation could not be avoided. She told me she could not get an actual person but she left a voicemail for the manager, and I should call back to make sure I had been refunded for BOTH NIGHTS, as the hotel has to simply approve the refund. This morning I called to verify and was put on hold again so hotels.com could call the hotel. The representative told me the GM, Steve would not refund me the first nights stay. I called the hotel directly and spoke to Steve, he informed me that since I had called past their cancellation time I could not be refunded. I have been to many Hiltons throughout my professional life and have always had the utmost courtesy. It is up to the discretion of the manager to refund, and this manager simply didn’t want to do it. I recommend staying at another hotel, especially if you plan on booking through a hotels.com, expedia, Travelocity, or any other hotel booking vendor! There is a excellent Westin in Arlington not far from this Hilton Garden. I will also be sending a formal complaint to Hilton Corp about my experience.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Fairfax? Share your experiences!