“Nice Little Restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 348 Restaurants in Fairfax
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery
Saint Leonard, Maryland
“Nice Little Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

My husband and I stopped by at this restaurant to dine and chat with one of our friends who works in the area. My husband and I are not familiar with this type of food and not too keen on spicy food or lamb. So we asked the owner for suggestion. For appetizer, we had Mantu (dumplings filled with ground beef and onion topped with meat sauce, yogurt, and mint). For entrée, I had Chicken & Kubideh and my husband had Shrimp Qurma. They don’t come in big portion but were served with rice and a big piece of Naan, which we though were satisfying. They were all very tasty. Our friend likes vegetables and wanted a vegetable dish but they don’t seem to have many of those, which is a little surprising. I ordered yogurt drink and was warned by the waiter that this might not be something I was thinking of. I love trying new food so I told him I would take it. That was a fair warning. It sort of tasted like yogurt mixed with the liquid that olives are pickled in. I actually thought it was pretty good (I love pickled olives) but my husband didn’t think so at all. He took one sip and almost spitted out. Very nice atmosphere with contemporary Mediterranean-ish interior with calming water fountain in the middle. Most of the customers we saw the evening were the people who seem to be from where they eat this type of food on regular basis; which tells us the food here is authentic. Our friend said that the previous owner was friendlier, but we thought the new owner was fine. Our waiter was very helpful, too. It's worth trying this place.

• Visited March 2013

Fairfax, Virginia
“Fun, Great Choices & Not Expensive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We found this place on Yelp when we were craving kabobs on a Sat night. My eyebrow went up when I saw the prom limo--was it going to be a rowdy prom place? I could not have been further from the truth. What a delightful interior--not something you'd expect in a Fairfax strip mall. in addition to the prom goers, there was a large family gathering, several couples and families. The service was excellant, more reminiscent of European trained waiters than expected. The owner came out and chatted with us. Although Friday is the Belly Dancing night, we were entertained that night as the large family gathering asked for the entertainment for their celebration. I had the Karb and chicken kabobs and he had the vegetarian special--all was delish, we went home with little more than the rice! We ordered the custard for dessert, and the owner also brought us the special ice cream so we could try it. Yum on both accounts. The wine list is limited but more than acceptable. We returned a few days later when a friend of ours returned from China and a bunch of us wanted to welcome him home. Again the service and food were a delight. We will return many times I am sure. P.S. this is across the street from Wegmans, so you can grocery shop and have a fine dining experience in one trip!

Visited May 2013
Centreville, Virginia
“Nice little place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

It's tucked away near the Government Center in a little strip mall setting. There's a lovely water fountain in the middle and the setting is nice. I was surprised that it was almost empty at lunch time on a Friday, but it was quite pleasant. The staff was very attentive and we found the kabobs to be really good with great seasoning. Plenty of delicious rice and the portion of bread was huge. We really liked the two dipping sauces - they were really tasty. I thought the prices were the same as other Middle Eastern and Mediterranean restaurants. Good place for lunch in Fairfax.

“Hidden gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Mazadar Kebob is a beautiful little restaurant, somewhat tucked away in a not-so-visible row of stores and restaurants. They put a lot of effort into the decor, and it really has a unique and exotic ambiance. We started going to Mazadar when it had just opened and only had a few items on the menu. The menu has grown since, and to be honest, everything we have had has been delicious. The chicken kebob is very well seasoned, the kubideh is tender and flavorful, the dips (hummus, cucumber yogurt dip, eggplant) are fresh and tasty, and the bread is perhaps the best I've had at any Kebob restaurant: freshly baked, hot out of the oven, soft... amazing! I can definitely recommend this place. Service is quick and attentive enough; I really have no complaints.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fairfax, Virginia
“Not that great ! save your $$”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I went to this restaurant for a Friday night dinner, based on the raving reviews. We ordered 2 entrees, a chicken and a beef entree. The meat (chicken and beef) both tasted good, but not exceptional. I was surprised that there was barely any veggies or dips as we usually get in any middle eastern restaurant. To me it felt like meat and rice. The portions are smaller for a dinner entree and was definitely not satisfied with the portion.
The falafels were a joke. (6 tiny pieces for $7). I was telling my wife that the restaurant owners were really on a budget (based on the portion sizes). For the prices charged, I expected a better portion for dinner. I don't plan on coming back again to this place.

The decor was good, if that helps.

• 3 of 5 stars Food