“Excellent Persian food close to home” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 346 restaurants in Fairfax
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery
“Excellent Persian food close to home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My son wanted to try something new for his birthday dinner, so we took a look at what TripAdvisor recommended and found Mazadar Kabob. It was a wonderful find.

We sampled a variety of its offerings, from baba ghannougeserved with hot bread, to qwabili pallow to sabsi to mantu (dumplings), to Persian ice cream, carrot and pistachio dessert, etc.

All were excellent. Service was great. We will definitely return.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

95% Recommend
Washington DC
“The Best Mediterranean Restaurant in DC Area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I am from the Mediterranean and have lived in the DC area for 25 years. This is by far the best Mediterranean/Middle-Eastern cuisine I have had here. The food is superb and the service is even better. I have eaten here at least a dozen times and I have tried just about everything in the menu. I can comfortably say that you can chose anything in the menu and you will love it. From their meat items to vegetables, you can tell everything is fresh and the best quality. And the bread!!!! Their freshly baked bread is out of this world and I am the son of a baker. This is my favorite restaurant by far and I recommend it to everyone.

• Visited December 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Love This Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Great Food, Awesome Service. I love the Barg, and their Hummus is wonderful. Try their Mango Martini.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“An oasis in the urban desert!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Excellent, flavorful and atmosphere. A great spot to eat and different from the usual fare out there. The dumplings (mantu) were excellent!

Indianapolis, Indiana
“The Best Middle Eastern Restaurant in Many Years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

The night before we first ate here, we ate at a highly-reputed middle eastern restaurant in Boston. This place is much, much better.
Like many hidden gems, Mazadar Kabob is located in a strip mall. But, upon entering, you are greeted by the owner, Mr. Zahory or a family member. The dining room is divided by a long architectural pond with a gentle, low and unobtrusive fountain. There are tables and long, comfortable banquettes.
Mr. Zahory and his brother were very personable, friendly and helpful. For a first visit, it was helpful that the starter menu had a sampler option. We tried the The Sampler as a starter. All four offerings were good and three I found especially delicious with the Eggplant Dip my favorite. I had Eggplant Dip as a starter in my second and third visits. The starter dips come with the most delicious, freshly baked and warm flat bread. No industrial pitas here.
I am vegetarian and there is an ample assortment from which to choose. I had the Vegetarian Delight which, again, is a sampler. For my second visit I had the Subzi Chalow and the Felafel Platter. These were all quite delicious and the portions were ample. The rice served on the plates was good quality basmati rice. My dining companion had salmon on the first visit and the shrimp qurma (korma) on the second. On the third visit she asked for a dish not on the menu: she wanted a grilled shrimp kabob with garlic yoghurt sauce on the side. Without a second thought, the owner took the request into the kitchen and ten minutes later she got just what she wanted, accompanied by rice. All three times the seafood was perfectly cooked, with good flavor. The garlic sauce could have been a little stronger, but this is a personal taste and, if we ask for it to be stronger next time, I have no doubt that it will come out perfect. Concerning sauces, Mr. Zahory has an intensely hot sauce that, if you ask, he will give you a little bit because a little bit will be all anyone can handle. It is the hottest sauce I have ever tasted, and it has a nice pepper taste, as well; not at all vinegary, like most.
We gorged ourselves on the first and third visits by having dessert. The baklava was flaky, a little too syrupy but with a good nutty, honey flavor and not too sweet for me. The Persian ice cream was amazing. They make their own ice cream with a rich vanilla taste complimented by the flavor of rosewater. There is a hint of saffron. The ice cream is served with a small amount of ground toasted pistachios on the top. If you have not been here before they will recommend it and you should take their recommendation seriously.
We have never waited for a table, even on the weekends. The place can become comfortably busy, but not crowded. It has never been loud, like so many restaurants seem to be.
I have read the criticisms about inhospitality in other reviews. Perhaps the owner has taken these criticisms seriously or perhaps they are the writing of argumentative, bullying reviewers; I do not know. We have always experienced the most exquisite level of welcome and hospitality from the owner and his family on all three visits. We look forward to enjoying more visits.

• Visited November 2012