“Coming back to Alma Mater” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4352 Mason Pond Drive, Fairfax, VA 22030   |
Ranked #5 of 23 hotels in Fairfax
GreenLeadersSilver level
Marco Island, Florida, United States
“Coming back to Alma Mater”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

My Fiancé and I came to stay at The Mason Inn this past Sunday and have enjoyed the property and excellent Room Service that we have decided to extend our stay until Thursday!!

We ordered a Mason Hamburger the other night and I have to tell everyone here that it was probably one of the Best Hamburgers I've Ever had anywhere!! Even the Steak Fries were cooked perfectly!!

If when you're in Northern Virginia, I highly recommend The Mason Inn located here on the Beautiful Campus of George Mason University!

Stayed October 2013
Christopher S, Front Office Manager at The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Hello Lawrence M.

What great compliments. Thank you for coming back to visit Mason and to stay with us. I was absolutely thrilled to read your comments where you mention extending your stay.

Our Alumni are some of the greatest people and it is always a pleasure to host them.

I hope to see you again.

Go Mason.

192 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Have stayed for 2 nights. A very pleasant experience. Nice and clean hotel. Restaurant is good. Front desk is helpful. Close to IAD. it's kinda a little bit isolated. meaning you'd better have a rental car.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Greetings sleeper24hr.

Thank you for sharing your experience of your recent stay on TripAdvisor. It was a pleasure to host you and I hope we get the opportunity to see you again soon.

Regards.

United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We were in town to see a show at the Patriot Center This was our hotel of choice since it is within walking distance, and I was quite satisfied with it. I am picky about hotel cleanliness. There are "crucial" areas that I inspect for cleanliness which I feel gives a good idea about how clean everything is as a whole: bed linens, towels, shower, shower curtain, and shower head. I gave it all my approval. There were a couple small stains on the carpet and ottoman, but nothing important. The bed was comfortable enough. There was no microwave or refrigerator in the room. The room was a nice size, and there was a small safe in the room.
The restaurant actually had pretty good food, although the service was just average. The bartenders in the bar were friendly, and we grabbed a little food and drink there when we arrived since it was very late that night.
I recommend this hotel, and if I returned to Fairfax, I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello bluemoonsyphony.

Thank you for staying with us when you came in to Fairfax for your event at the Patriot Center. Thank you also for you review of The Mason Inn on Trip Advisor.

Our housekeeping staff works so hard to maintain our rooms and it is so nice to see their work recognized in a review such as yours.

Thanks again for staying with us and I hope to see you again.

Ambler
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Overall very pleased. Very spacious and comfortable rooms. The staff at bar and restaurant efficient and pleasant. The front desk staff could be a little more proactive. I needed help navigating the campus and although they explained things on a map, they did so in a rushed and indifferent way. But overall a good experience and we be back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Christopher S, Front Office Manager at The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Hi Beth H.

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read about your positive experience about our restaurant and bar. I also appreciated the constructive criticism of our Front Desk staff.

Thanks again for choosing to stay with us and I hope to see you again in near future.

Ware, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

My son and I stayed at this hotel on Friday night (Oct 11) while visiting George Mason University. The hotel is very nice and certainly convenient while visiting the college. The parking garage is for guests only, and there is no charge for parking - definitely a plus. We had a pleasant experience, but there were a few bumps in the road.

Check-in went very smoothly with helpful, pleasant staff. Our room was very nice but it had a musty odor which I discovered at bedtime was coming from my bed. The sheets smelled like mildew so I ended up sleeping on top of the comforter. After driving 9+hours in terrible weather, flash floods, etc. I did not have the energy to call and ask to have the issue rectified.

We ate dinner and breakfast at Boxwoods. Our waitress at dinner was lovely and very attentive. I would have never chosen the Sea Bass but as she went over the menu with us, she made it sound so appealing that I ordered it. It was wonderful! We had the buffet at breakfast and we found it to have plenty of choices and worth the money, as restaurant prices go.

The problem I encountered was with the reservations. I called the hotel to ask if there was a special rate when visiting GMU and I was told no. I asked about the other rates listed on the website and I was told they were not available to me because the hotel was booked on Saturday night so I could only have a room for Friday night. Upon check-in I learned they were not booked on Saturday and that there are always special weekend rates available. Also, two days prior to our arrival my son received an e-mail from the University telling him to make sure he asked for the special GMU rate. When I called the hotel I spoke with a very polite young man and he said they did have a special rate and applied it instantly. It was quite a savings.

We would recommend this hotel because the staff we encountered on site was friendly and genuinely wanted to make our stay pleasant. As for the reservation issues, I am not sure how to counter that but I know that I would have been very upset to discover I paid a lot more than necessary.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Christopher S, Front Office Manager at The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Greetings KSHOWare_MA.

How nice is was to host you and your son while visiting George Mason University. I hope that we will have the pleasure of doing so again when your son decides to attend Mason.

I understand the frustration of the reservations process that you had and do deeply regret it. We do offer some University Discounts but only for certain things, for example we have a Mason Admissions Discount, an Alumni Discount and a Facutly Discount. These discounts are not generally made available to the general public, you normally need an access code from Admissions, Alumni or Faculty offices but I am glad to hear that we were able to get you and your son taken care of.

I hope to see you again.

Go Mason!

OHIO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I stayed at the Mason Inn for a conference at GMU in August 2013. The Mason Inn is on the campus, but is tucked in the corner where you have a 5-10 minute walk or shuttle bus ride to the main area of the campus.
This is a newer hotel. Check in was friendly. I received a discounted rate by just using the Mason Inn website. The lobby area is contemporary in design and style. The rooms are also contemporary in styling. The room while well appointed had a few problems in cleaning and also two lights did not work. The shower was powerful with plenty of hot water.
There is a hotel bar with your typical hotel bar prices. I ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant where there is a breakfast buffet. It is your typical buffet and not really worth the price paid.
There is an interesting parking garage that is included at no extra cost though.
Overall I would stay here again if I had business at GMU as it is the most convenient hotel around.

Room Tip: There is no pool or work out area. You have to go to the campus facilities.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hi WK0119.

Thank you for your recent stay with us and for sharing your experience with Trip Advisor. I appreciated your comments and the feedback that you have given for us to improve in the future.

I would like to take this time to point out that we do offer a small on site fitness facility that is available 24 hours per day. In addition we can get you access to the Univeristy facilities which boast a brand new 30,000 square foot gym, an olympic size lap pool, a wading pool and a hot tub. All at no cost to our guests and just a short walk away.

I hope that we will get to see you again real soon.

Chino, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Mason Inn while visiting our granddaughter who attends George Mason University. I must say this facility was not at all what I expected ! It FAR exceeded our expectations. Very well designed rooms, very up to date design, easy access and plenty of parking. During our 5 day stay we ate at the hotel dining room several times and every meal was excellent. The service was outstanding and when asked the staff was there to meet every request. We also appreciated the hotel's "Green" efforts along with the University's to recycle and minimize resource impact. Very impressive.

Green Features: We were very impressed with the environmental focus of the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Hello Dave E.

Hard to believe but yes this is a college hotel! But we are not just any college hotel we are the hotel of George Mason University.

I appreciate all of the comments regarding your stay and am glad to hear that we are making a difference with all of the little things that we do.

Thanks again.

Christopher.

Been to The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel? Share your experiences!