“Great Service, Worst Beds Ever” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4352 Mason Pond Drive, Fairfax, VA 22030   |
Ranked #5 of 23 hotels in Fairfax
GreenLeadersSilver level
Woodbury, New Jersey
“Great Service, Worst Beds Ever”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

The staff was very helpful, place was spotless inside and out, breakfast was spectacular and well worth the price. But the tiny double bed had the absolute most uncomfortable mattress, and the room was small and not well appointed. I don't believe the room was worth what we paid for it, but maybe that's just DC pricing. We will be visiting Fairfax often, since our daughter just began her freshman year at George Mason. But I think we will try another hotel next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Christopher S, Front Office Manager at The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Greetings Beth Ann S.

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience with TripAdvisor. It is because of feedback from folks just like you that we are able to continually improve our product and our services.

I am very concerned about your comments regarding our in room offerings. The most immediate concern is that of the mattress; we have only been open for three years and with a lifepsan on about ten years on a mattress I would very much like to check on the quality of the mattress in your room.

I would also like to gain your insight into what you mean by not well appointed. Our rooms offer a variety of options and we might have a configuration that might suit your needs better.

Please reach out to me at the hotel so that I can make the arrangements for your next visit to Fairfax.

Thanks again and regards.

192 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed at the Mason Inn for moving our daughter into her dorm on the parents move in weekend.
We were first disappointed when we were told that we could not have a roll-away bed sent to our King room as they have only a limited number of roll-away beds available and none was left by the time we checked in.
My husband was very frustrated and I saw other families at the front desk complaining about the same problem. Perhaps, you should not be promising your guests the amenities you cannot guaranty upon check in.
The young girl at the front desk seemed very nervous and annoyed with the whole situation; I did not find her professional or caring at all and was greatly disappointed.
We finally got to speak with Maryam, the manager on duty.
She was extremely nice and even gave a small Mason Inn stress ball and a Frisbee toy to my crying seven years old to make him happy! That made his day!
She took the time to listen to us and was genuinely concerned and promised to do whatever she can do to make the situation right. It was refreshing to have someone who would hear us out and offer solutions.
Maryam exceeded our expectations and we were finally moved to a new room that had two beds.
We were very happy as our daughter did not have to spend the last night with us sleeping on the floor.
There clearly was a shortage of rooms with two beds upon check-in and there seemed to be a lack of communication between reservation and Front Desk. Many other families were also frustrated. But being in the hospitality industry myself, I was very impressed by how professional and calm Maryam was. She turned us disappointed and tired parents into very happy customers. She is truly an asset to your company.
We also had breakfast at the Boxwoods, again Maryam was at the Front Desk when we were waiting to be seated, she would constantly check on the restaurant customers while she was at the Front Desk, she even sat us down in the restaurant as we did not get seated for some time and had to wait for the host. Everyone was very nice at the boxwood although the service was a little slow.
The rooms are clean and housekeeping staff is friendly. The bed was moderately comfortable, but the comforter was too hot for me. I prefer just a sheet and blanket. The big comforter would be nice if you were sleeping in the winter, not in the middle of August.
This is the 2nd time we have stayed here and it has always been a flawless experience. The staff goes above and beyond to make your trip memorable. It is pricey to stay here, but the location is very convenient to George Mason University, so we will stay here again.
I strongly encourage anyone who is planning to book a reservation at the Mason Inn to contact Maryam directly at the Front Desk. That way you know you are treated like a VIP throughout your stay and even after you check out.

Room Tip: I strongly encourage anyone who is planning to book a reservation at the Mason Inn to contact Maryam...
Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hello mojtaba_rofooze.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to host you while you were in Fairfax.

I would like to apologize for the initial frustration when you arrived at the hotel but I am so glad that Maryam was able to take care of you and your family.

I hope that we will see you again soon.

West Hartford, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Ok, we went back for another visit. Upon arriving, the hotel had no power & was told it should be back later in the evening. The staff were extremely apologetic, and got us a room at another hotel. I appreciate this effort. However, why couldn't someone have called/emailed us to let us know ahead of our arrival? According to the staff, this has happened pretty frequently. We were extremely happy with the hotel they sent us to, we will probably stay there again. Just thought others should know.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

As a frequent visitor to the Washington, DC area for business I have stayed in The Mason Inn as often as it is available. The hotel is well appointed, clean, and extremely well maintained. And the food is never disappointing. The chef is one of the best. Oh by way, my wife loves the hotel as well. Most importantly, staff members are always friendly and helpful. This hotel is definitely one of the hotel industry's best kept secrets. John H

Room Tip: I love corner suites with the king size beds.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Christopher S, Front Office Manager at The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Hi JohnHo223.

I appreciate the comments about us being the best hotel in Northern Virginina. The staff are always greatful to hear such wonderful compliments.

We are kind of fond of Chef Joseph too and he was just thrilled to be named "one of the best" by you.

Thanks again and I hope to see you again soon.

Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Tom, Wes, and a most wonderful waitress whose name escapes me made a birthday celebration for my husband and me on the 28th of July the best possible. They led us to the small dining room space for the group of guest we had and saw to it the entire time that we had privacy and outstanding service. The choice of breakfast, lunch or both was perfect with the food rating a 5. Those guests who had arrived the night before told us their rooms were clean and comfortable. One guest said "I brought my Lysol wipes and didn't need to use them". We plan on staying in one of the rooms soon just to confirm that. Thank you to management and staff for making this birthday a memorable one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Greetings Jean D.

How exciting that we were able to play a part in your birthday celebration. And to hear such great things about our staff is a truly wonderful thing.

Thank you for celebrating with us and for sharing your review and those of your guests with us.

Many happy returns.

Budd Lake, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I always love my stay at the Mason Inn. Rooms are very nicely appointed, staff very friendly but professional, the entire hotel is very clean, guests can swim in the University Pool [this is real pool not the oversized bathtubs in most every hotel]. Dining area is first class and reasonably priced. I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. Best in Northern Virginia.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hello Tom B.

Thank you for your stay with us and for sharing your experience with TripAdvisor.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of hosting you again real soon.

Regards.

Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed at the Mason In for our daughter's Master's graduation and had a wonderful time. The room was large and very comfortable, the staff was engaging and helpful, and the location was outstanding. We were extremely pleased and will definitely stay there again. Two other couples traveled with us and enjoyed their stay at the Mason Inn as well.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Christopher S, Front Office Manager at The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Greetings MaryMAustin.

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us for your daughters graduation. It is always a pleasure to play host to families during their times of joy.

Hope to see you again soon!

Christopher.

Been to The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel? Share your experiences!