I attended the Mason Inn for a three day conference at the beginning of March, this year. It was my first time in Virginia and my first time at this establishment.
The Mason Inn is run very professionally and all the staff are super friendly. However, they really need some bell boys who can help guests with their luggage. Fortunately, I had a small case and computer bag and was able to drag everything up to my room.
The service in the Wells Bar and Boxwoods dining facilities are slow. The night I arrived, I waited about 10 minutes to get a simple hot coffee and small piece of pie for a quick bite before I went to bed. And the following day it took the staff quite a while to take our order for lunch. Also, it appeared that not all of the staff had been fully informed about who was attending what, and what dining facilities were supposed to be assigned for which groups. This is not the fault of the staff, but the fault of senior and dining management, who appears did not keep all the dining staff up to date on the daily events of the various attendees/groups.
The bedrooms are comfortable and clean, but the beds are a little on the hard side. The rooms could do with either a mini bar or refrigerator.
The biggest drawback to this hospitality suite, is that if you use public transport (Vienna Metro stop from DC being the nearest place), you are stuck waiting for the George Mason Shuttle –which is really designed for students and not elderly quests, who need to commute between DC and/or Amtrak, Union Station or the local airports. When I arrived at night, there was no clear sign marking the drop off point of the bus, and none of the Washington Metro employees knew where the shuttle left from either Thus I ended up spending $20+ to take a taxi for the short distance to the Inn. Clearly, they need to implement s shuttle service of their own –not affiliated with George Mason University- that can make regular pickups and drop offs at the main transportation hubs in DC and surrounding areas.
As for the GMU shuttle itself, I took it back to the station when leaving the hotel, but it was full of very noisy students going on Spring break and seats overflowed with their luggage.
All in all an okay experience, but I would not recommend this place for large conferences, until the public transportation issues are resolved. After all, not all of us have cars.
- Also Known As:
- The Mason Inn Hotel Fairfax
- The Mason Inn Hotel
- The Mason Inn Conference Center And Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- : Inspired by the patriot spirit of George Mason, The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel provides an exceptional environment for work, study and special occasions in the center of Northern Virginia. As the Official Hotel and Conference Center of George Mason University this pristine hotel is dedicated to excellence in service and sustainability, as well as creating an environment conducive to learning and relaxing. The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel is nestled among a natural wooded setting on the south side of the University’s Campus in Fairfax, Virginia. The Conference Center & Hotel is distinguished as LEED-certified Gold by the U.S. Green Building Council, and is the only full-service, upscale hotel in Fairfax and near George Mason University.Conveniently located with direct access from Route 123, The Mason Inn is easily accessible from throughout Virginia and the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Area. The Conference Center & Hotel offers all of the amenities of the George Mason University Campus and The Patriot Center, including accessible complimentary scheduled shuttle service around George Mason Campus, and to and from the Vienna Metro stop based on the University's weekday and weekend schedules. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Venere, EasyToBook, Tingo and Otel so you can book your The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.