My wife and I came here for our anniversary and because we are alumni. We thought it would be nice that we get to see how things have changed. When we arrived, I was wearing sweats and a long sleeved athletic shirt. I know I'm not the best looking guy, however, the two agents at the desk appeared to be a little taken aback when they saw me. People do not realize their facial expressions react faster than the words out of their mouth. During the check in process, the agent appeared to be a little afraid and would not even look at me. I tried to just let it be, I'm here with my wife to enjoy our time so I let it go. Later that evening we had dinner, went shopping and to a show. My wife wanted something to eat from the hotel restaurant, and they were clearly busy serving a wedding party, I believe. However, as we approached, some of the patrons turned and looked at me like I was coming to rob the place. Now I know this was no fault of the hotel, but it was just extremely uncomfortable. While I was waiting for my wife, the security guard just so happened to spend time in the area. My wife waited for her food and I went to take my shopping bags to the room. I walked pass about four front desk employees at the check in and there was no eye contact and not even a hello or attempted nod of acknowledgment. I cam back down stairs to wait with my wife while she got her food. We went back up to our room and as we stepped off of the elevator, there was the security guard again. It could have been coincidence. With that being said, we were made to feel like we didn't fit the profile of true alumni or hotel guest. Maybe its because I was not in a suit and my beard was not trimmed. We left here and went to the Fair Oaks Marriott the next morning and the difference was like night and day. The hotel staff at the Marriott were wonderful to us. When they realized that it was our anniversary, they even sent us a bottle of wine which was a nice gesture. After reading the reviews of the GMU hotel here, obviously, people have had great experiences here. However, we did not. I was really disappointed. Just my two cents.
- Also Known As:
- The Mason Inn Hotel
- The Mason Inn Conference Center And Hotel
- The Mason Inn Hotel Fairfax
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- : Inspired by the patriot spirit of George Mason, The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel provides an exceptional environment for work, study and special occasions in the center of Northern Virginia. As the Official Hotel and Conference Center of George Mason University this pristine hotel is dedicated to excellence in service and sustainability, as well as creating an environment conducive to learning and relaxing. The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel is nestled among a natural wooded setting on the south side of the University’s Campus in Fairfax, Virginia. The Conference Center & Hotel is distinguished as LEED-certified Gold by the U.S. Green Building Council, and is the only full-service, upscale hotel in Fairfax and near George Mason University.Conveniently located with direct access from Route 123, The Mason Inn is easily accessible from throughout Virginia and the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Area. The Conference Center & Hotel offers all of the amenities of the George Mason University Campus and The Patriot Center, including accessible complimentary scheduled shuttle service around George Mason Campus, and to and from the Vienna Metro stop based on the University's weekday and weekend schedules. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Venere, Agoda, Priceline and Tingo so you can book your The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.