“Clean and simple” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 23 hotels in Fairfax
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Clean and simple”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

My boyfriend and I had a good stay here. It is simple and clean. No pool yet, but it is still new I think. Staff was very friendly. There was some kind of party going on in the next room and we couldn't sleep and had to wake up early the next day, so we called front desk and immediately the problem was taken care of.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
flynn-sean, Director of Sales at The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Dear Paradisekiss -

We appreciate the Very Good rating that you awarded us, we do apologize for the noise from our celebratory guests, glad to hear that our staff was able to quite them down so that you could resume your sleep. For future reference while we do not have a pool on property we do offer complimentary passes to the Aquatic Center on campus just a short distance from the property - it has multiple pools and a large whirlpool, along with additional workout machines.
We look foward to your return in the near future, until then we hope all your travels are relaxing and safe.

194 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Mt. Ivy, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

Last summer we decided to visit George Mason as a potential college and their site recommended this hotel.(it's walking distance to school, very convenient). I called the hotel two times for information, expressing that I planned to visit DC. but did not want to drive to or in DC. I was assured both times there was a shuttle to the metro. Both times the clerks knew my check in and check out dates. When we arrived, I AGAIN expressed to the person on duty that I cannot drive in DC, and was AGAIN reassured there was a shuttle. Friday went fine, we were pleased with the hotel and the low cost. Saturday morning we asked a question at the desk, and she could not have possibly missed us saying, how we were about to take the shuttle as we had just finished breakfast and we felt we were right on time. As we sat out in the sun for 45 minutes, we finally realized a shuttle would not be forthcoming. When we came back in, we were told the shuttle does not run on the weekends and they are not responsible for the George Mason schedule. I asked to speak to the hotel manager, the name on the card is Tina Volin. She offered to call us a cab at our own expense to the metro. My thought was that the hotel should have offered to pay for that, or at least comp breakfast, as I certainly had done everything I could possibly do to make sure once I was there I wouldn't have to drive (night blindness in a strange area-not good) So, just want future guests of the hotel to take note of this experience. The metro is not too far of a drive, and I think it was about $4.00 to get out of the lot, but I was worried all day about how long the lot may be open as I couldn't find any information, and we cut our DC day short. Also, if you need help, inquire what hours the concierge is available, because they are not always there (much like the shuttle!) Also, petty point, but they kept getting my name wrong on the reservation confirmation, and never got it right after I contacted them and they would reply with it as corrected, and STILL had it wrong, several times. That was a heads up on staff training that I chose to ignore based on the proximity to the school, and cost, and it proved to be a trend that caused me quite a bit of aggravation. I'm not in the habit of writing negative reviews, so I will end with saying if you are fine with getting to DC in any fashion, the hotel is beautifully appointed, safe and the staff was friendly, although seemingly misinformed (and no, the television did NOT know our name, it however did continue to name the person who must have had the room prior to us)

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
flynn-sean, Director of Sales at The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
Dear NewportNewbie -

We greatly appreciate the feedback from your trip last summer. Since then we have address the reservation and television techincal issues so that the proper name is listed on the screens. As for the campus shuttle schedule we have made sure that upon check in that our staff is properly trained and providing our guests with the availability of the shuttle to and from the metro on the weekends verses the weekdays. As you stated we have a beautifully appointed, safe property with professional and friendly staff. We look forward to your return in the near future and hope that all your travels are safe and relaxing.

Hospitably,

Sean Flynn - Director of Sales & Marketing
The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel
Danbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

We recently stayed at the Mason Inn for the second time during our visit to see family in the area. We enjoyed the quiet location and fresh, modern feeling of the hotel which is directly located on the George Mason campus. The staff is polite and the facility is well maintained and eco-friendly. Our rate for our stay was exceptional. Staying here, you will get far more than your money's worth! My only complaint for our stay was that we found an ALEVE tablet on the floor of our room. If we had been traveling with small children, that could have been very dangerous. It also makes me question just how well our room was really cleaned if that was missed. Other than that, a stay at the Mason Inn will leave you well rested and happy! We will definitely come again!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
flynn-sean, Director of Sales at The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Dear Hatterpride -

We are delighted we were able to host you and your family on your recent journey back to the Fairfax area and we appreciate the wonderful review that you provided. I have shared your housekeeping concern with our Director of Housekeeping and she will certainly address them with her associates and review with our supervisors on their final inspections checklists. Please contact me if I can be of further assistance, we look forward to your return in the near future. We hope that all your travels are safe and relaxing.

Hospitably,

Morris, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

Friendly staff, helpful with dining suggestions. Clean rooms. A little out of the way for doing things in Washington or Alexandria, but not too bad. Not sure what the extra charge on my credit card is for. Thought wifi was complimentary, only thing I can think of.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
flynn-sean, Director of Sales at The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
Dear Pamd826,

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at The Mason Inn and want to thank you for providing us with a very good rating. We will make sure to pass along your feedback to our staff. If you still have question about your final invoice please feel free to contact the front desk or call me directly to see if we can review your folio. We look forward to your return in the near future, thank you again for your review. We hope all your travels are safe and relaxing.

(703) 865-4532
Williamsburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

This hotel is state of the art, and right on campus!!!

NO complaints here at all as far as amenities.

Plenty of parking available as well.

I was there for a basketball game and its literally right around the corner from the Patriot Center.

My only issue was the restaurant. I got some yogurt, just regular yogurt, and i tried it out and it was sour! I've never had regular yogurt so I can't say if this taste is normal but once I examined it some more the yogurts date had be expired for over 2 weeks.

I did let the hostess no, but I hope no one else got sick from that. Thank God I didn't get sick.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
flynn-sean, Director of Sales at The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Dear BSmith0731 -

Thank you for the very good rating - we are the ideally location for anything special events at The Patriot Center and or the Center for the Arts. I want to sincerely apologize about your dining experience and I will most certainly share your feedback with our restaurant department to make sure we retrain our associates. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to your return in the near future - until then we hope all your journey's are relaxing and safe.

Newnan, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

We were planning on staying with family in Fairfax, however due to unexpected circumstances got a hotel. I'm tired of the chains and their so so service and unpredictable sanitation standards. The Mason Inn was elegant. The service was welcoming and genuinely friendly. The only downside for me was the parking. We had a wonderful stay and I will stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
flynn-sean, Director of Sales at The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2012
Dear Christine M

We really appreciate the review and the excellent rating you awarded our hotel from your recent stay. It is always nice to receive positive comments about our staff and facilities, I will make sure to pass them along to your associates. I would like to hear further details about the parking issue since we do provide complimentary parking. I can be reached at (703) 865-4532. Thank you again for your gift of feedback – we look forward to your return in the near future and hope that your future journeys are safe and tranquil.

Director of Sales & Markerting
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

Stayed here March of this year for 3 days (in wednesday out saturday). Got this room on priceline .... i knew there was a catch to getting a room this nice at 45 bucks a night where 2 of the days of the stay were weekdays.

Good: One of the nicest hotels i've been in ... everything was/is brand-new, beautiful, perfect condition. Decoration was nice, best sleep i've ever gotten in a hotel I wanted to take the bed with me....I think I even asked them how much were the pillows. Room-service was nice, remember them giving me extra waters just because and the room was delicious, everything I ordered was awesome....i ate a lot of room service i'll get to why in the cons tho. Fastest and free internet i've ever experienced in a hotel....almost as fast as my very hi-speed wireless at home. Nice front desk.

Cons: Snooty front restaurant staff, at least the 2 ladies I remember asking about warming something up for me in their microwave which the only one in the entire hotel was in the kitchen (weird). Oh yeah no fridge or microwave in my room and couldn't request any. I ordered a lot of room service because I was in the WORST LOCATION EVER. The location alone made me DEATHLY AFRAID to bid 3 star on priceline for fairfax ever again. It's stuck up inside of GMU campus....it's ON GMU campus....terrible terrible location if you have absolutely nothing GMU related going on in your life. I felt like I stuck stranded out in the boonies. Public trans forget about it unless you want to share the school's bus transportation for the student or you'll have to get a cab. So.....hope you have a car. And the whole "you need a keycard to use the elevator" was super annoying. I feel bad to give such a nice hotel such a sucky rating.... but the location killed it....I can't put inton enough words how much I hate the location this hotel is in and for that I'd never want to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
flynn-sean, Director of Sales at The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Dear EBZ01 -

Thank you for your feedback and really appreciate the overall positive comments you provided our property from your visit back in March 2011. If you change your mind and decide to try our property again please know that we do have refridgerators that you can request at the front desk for your room. As for the needing a Keycard to access the elevators we hope that you can understand how serious we take the security of our guests here at The Mason Inn by limited access to anyone off the street to our guests floors. As for your other concerns I would be happy to discuss them with you over the phone if you have the time my direct line is (703) 865-4532. Thank you again for your gift of feedback and we hope that all your future travels are safe and relaxing.

Director of Sales & Marketing

Been to The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel? Share your experiences!