“Nice Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 23 hotels in Fairfax
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Nice Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

There for a wedding, which this hotel was very good for. Great employees and very nice rooms. Only negative was on the weekends the shuttle did not run to the metro.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
flynn-sean, Director of Sales at The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Dear Havingfuntraveling -

We really appreciate the overall excellent review that you have our property. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time here for the special occassion and will most certainly share your feedback with our associates. I will have to see what happened with the shuttle - since it normally runs on weekends as well. We look forward to your return in the near future - until then we hope all your journeys are safe and tranquil.

192 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Bethany Beach, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

My husband & I were in town for a concert at the Patriot Center and wanted to stay a couple of days within walking distance....this was the only hotel we could find. Normally we choose "chain" hotels but decided to stay at the Mason Inn for the convenience factor -- we were so glad we did! First of all, it is a beautiful hotel which we did not expect for the price -- we stayed in the corner king room which was very clean and spacious -- all the amenities except a little refrigerator (that's just something I prefer to keep any room service "extras" fresh). The bed was very firm (great for my husband -- not necessarily for me, but still comfortable). The hotel is situated within the George Mason campus so we expected a bunch of rowdy college kids to be hanging around but it was just the opposite! We met one young lady who is a student there & she was very helpful & professional with us. In fact, the hotel was filled with friendly people & everyone we had dealings with were extremely accommodating. The hotel grounds are beautiful & it was a pleasant walk to the Patriot Center -- about a ten minute walk. The only negative thing I would say is the hotel allows dogs & there was one near to us that kept barking, although we never saw it (this is the only reason I rated the "sleep quality" less than excellent). This could be a problem if anyone is allergic to certain dander; otherwise, I highly recommend this hotel if you are ever in the Fairfax area!

Room Tip: We stayed in the corner King room -- very spacious & more private, I think, than the other rooms
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Linnie D -

Thank you and your husband for chosing The Mason Inn and we greatly appreciate the excellent rating you gave us. I will certainly share your feedback with our associates and department heads. While we are a pet friendly property we do have strick policies in place that should have addressed the noice issue with the barking dog so I do apologize that it affected your sleep. We also have deep clean standards for any room that was occupied by one of our four-legged guests, to make it fresh and dander free prior to the next guests' arrival. We hope that you will stay with us again when traveling to the DC Metro Area. May all your future travels be safe and relaxing.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

I stayed at the Mason Inn for a 2-day conference and loved it. That was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in!! It felt like I was sleeping on a cloud, it was wonderful. Being a new hotel, the rooms were equipped with all the modern conveniences, like a flat-screen TV and my personal favorite the lamps that have outlets in the bases so you don't have to dig around to find a place to plug in your laptop or cell phone charger. The room also had incredible black-out curtains - very helpful in the morning since my room faced east (but had a great view of the sunrise!) The room was nice and quiet and had a nice amount of workspace.

The meeting rooms were great, obviously in good shape being so new. I loved having a mini-fridge of soft drinks on our buffet, which was constantly replenished so there was always cold diet coke to keep me awake during our conference. The snack breaks were interesting, definitely not the same standard break fare - for instance one day we had bacon-wrapped scallops as part of the break, the next day it was chicken skewers. We ate in Boxwoods for lunch, and I was really impressed with the vast selection (especially the dessert buffet). If there was one downside to the food here it's that I didn't feel like there was enough vegetarian options - I realize the break menus were likely selected by the meeting organizer, so that was beyond the hotel's control, but the lunch buffet lacked a hot vegetarian entree. (Although they offered the standard starch and veggie option as well as a full salad bar so a vegetarian could still get a good meal).

I liked that the property has free parking (and self parking!). As a single woman, I really liked that the garage had an elevator straight to the guest room floors and that to access the guest room floors you had to have a hotel room key card.

All the staff were very friendly! It was a really great stay, I would definitely recommend this place to anyone doing business in Northern VA.

I think the only downside to the hotel is that its location makes it hard for out-of-towners to get into DC and do some sightseeing if they did not have a car. Also, the area right around the campus gets very congested. When I was leaving at 3:30pm on a Tuesday it took me 15 minutes to get through the traffic light about 0.2 of a mile from the campus entrance.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
flynn-sean, Director of Sales at The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Dear lcharp -

We really appreciate the review, recommendation and the excellent rating you awarded our hotel from your recent stay. Our Executive Chef appreciated your suggestion about adding a hot vegetarian option to our lunch buffet and he plans on implementing an option into our weekly menu rotation. We also wanted to make sure you are aware that for future stays – we do have a complimentary Mason shuttle that will transport you to the Vienna Metro station that will take you into DC. The schedule can be obtained at the front desk or at our concierge desk. Thank you again for your gift of feedback – we look forward to your return in the near future and hope that your future journeys are safe and tranquil.

Helena, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011 via mobile

I just attended a conference at George Mason University and received a complimentary room for two nights. Although I am sure my view is somewhat biased by the fact that I stayed for free, I will try to be as fair as possible. This is a brand new hotel and therefore it is spotless with decent amenities. There is a small gym in the hotel but free entry to the university's gym was provided. Our conference was in the hotel and meals were provided. As can be expected from a new hotel, the conference rooms were very good and the meals were good.

If there was a drawback, it was that the hotel is located approximately 19 miles from DC and if you do not have a car it feels like you are in the middle of nowhere. So, I would suggest this hotel only if you have business in Fairfax and have no desire to go into the city. One other thing, there are no views from the rooms in the hotel except the tops of other buildings,

Finally, the hotel is 19 miles from Reagan National Airport and 15 from Dulles so cab fair is fairly expensive.

• Stayed October 2011
Dear Jollyhenceforth -

Thank you for your review and the very good rating you awarded our hotel from your recent stay. We appreciate your feedback and would like to let you know of an additional option that may be less expense for transportation to and from the hotel. One would be super shuttle that you can reserve prior to your arrival at the airport. Once here at the hotel there are ZipCars available on campus if you have an account setup. There is also a complimentary Mason shuttle that will transport you to the Vienna Metro station that will take you into DC. The schedule can be obtained at the front desk or at our concierge desk. Thank you again for your gift of feedback – we look forward to your return in the near future and hope that your future travels are relaxing and safe.

The Mason Inn Conference Center
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011 via mobile

Tasteful interior design choices throughout. Rooms are spacious, tastefully decorated, very inviting. Feels like a high-end, luxury hotel.

• Stayed October 2011
flynn-sean, Director of Sales at The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
Dear LiztheWiz -

Thank you for your glowing review of our property. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with your fellow travelers. We look forward to your return n the near future - until then we hope all your travels are tranquil and renewing.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

I stayed at the Mason Inn for a meeting on the GMU campus. I got room 7018, a corner king room on the top floor and possibly the best room short of a suite. The rooms are very nice - bright colors, great bathrooms, clean and spacious. There is free internet access. The corner king rooms are significantly bigger, but most of it is wasted space (a corridor that wraps around the bathroom).

The problem with this hotel is the horrible beds. They are super soft. I stay in hotels about every third night of the year, and I have never encountered beds this soft. I am a stomach sleeper, and it is impossible to sleep on your stomach on beds this soft.

I don't believe this was a fluke affecting only my room. I travelled with two associates who each reported that the beds in their rooms were too soft also. None of us got much sleep in the two nights we slept there.

I had food at the hotel's restaurant, Boxwoods, one night. It is convenient (not many restaurants in walking distance from the hotel) but the food is mediocre at best.

Room Tip: rooms ending in 18 are the corner King rooms
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear DrMichaelF

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review of our property during your recent stay and we are sorry to hear about your experience. Since we have only been open just over a year we were concerned about your report of the mattress being too soft so we had our Director of Housekeeping & Engineering personally inspect the mattress since it is still under warranty and they found it to be free of any defects and still meeting our high quality standards. While we do try to our best to provide a restful and relaxing experience for all of our guests, we regret that we were not able to do so for you. We do wish you more relaxing and restful journeys in the future. Thank you again for your feedback, and please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to discuss your experience further.

Grand Blanc, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

We stayed at the George Mason Inn for a family wedding in October and were pleased with this hotel. The hotel is clean and has a nice contemporary decor. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was nicely updated. The lounge served good drinks and has an outdoor seating area, which we enjoyed. We ate breakfast at the restaurant and found it to have good food, although the service was a bit slow. The only downsides to this hotel were that you have to use a room key to operate the elevators and this was annoying. (This probably wouldn't have been as big of a deal if we didn't have family on several floors where we were constantly visiting each other) Also, the front desk clerk was not inviting and actually a bit condescending. I have stayed at several DC area hotels and found this one to be a great stay for the price, I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
flynn-sean, Director of Sales at The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Dear Redwinetime -

We want to Thank you for the very good rating you provided us as well as the feedback of your experiences during your stay. While we understand the fustration with utilizing a key to use the elevator it is a feature that we installed for the safety of all our guests, as for the service issues we do take these very serious and will most certainly be discussing and retraining our staff to correct them for your future stays. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences and we look forward to your return, until then we hope that all your travels are safe and tranquil.

Sean Flynn
Director of Sales & Marketing.

Been to The Mason Inn Conference Center & Hotel? Share your experiences!