“Great price for a beautiful room!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Fairfax
GreenLeadersBronze level
State College, Pennsylvania
“Great price for a beautiful room!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Big room, rarely hear other guests, and great front desk service. Each room has a nice living room area with a big couch and desk with a small wall to separate it from the bed area. The hotel is also close to shopping and dining.

• Stayed January 2015

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2014

Let me say up front that the only reason I am giving this establishment a 3 rating are the beds. When it comes to hotels, if the beds are uncomfortable then the hotel has failed its purpose no matter how great the rest of the facility is. Poor sleep means a tired and perhaps dangerous traveler on the roads. Other than the beds this is a clean, modern, and inviting hotel.

Our beds at home are firm but the two beds in our double room were unforgiving. They rejected your body more than gently support it. I am 5'11", 250 lbs, and my heavy frame could not make a dent in the surface of either mattress. Our opinion of the mattresses where that they were either inexpensive or very old. The pillows on the other hand were somewhat too soft but too thick to sleep comfortably using two.

I went to bed around 11PM after getting up at 6:30AM and driving for 4 hours that day to Fairfax from Virginia Beach. I tossed and turn for a couple of hours, tried the other bed for another couple of hours, watched TV, and finally took the bedding off one bed, put it on the couch, and fell asleep around 5AM on the couch which was more comfortable than either bed. My poor wife was left to toss and turn since I would be driving the next day. The only other problem with the room was a misplaced 5 feet tall shaped cabinet sitting next to the TV which prevented viewing from 70% of the couch. It was very light weight so I moved it next to the couch were it fit perfectly and it did not interfere with the TV.

Other than the bed and the cabinet the rest of the room was very appealing, appeared quite new, and was very well laid out. Decorated in earth tones dominated by a light green color it was very soothing. There was the usual amenities. The desk for the computer had independent lighting and was separated from the bedroom area by a wall so that it would not bother sleepers. As I said the couch was quite comfortable for sleeping but not for sitting as the seat cushions were a little too long which made leaning back uncomfortable.

The lobby area incorporates the open area concept used in most new homes now. The reception desk, computer business area, a sitting area with TV, a small canteen, and the breakfast area are in this area. It is very clean and eye appealing. There is an exercise room and pool but we did not use them. We missed breakfast so I cannot comment on it. Parking is free in a garage with lots of spaces adjacent to the facility.

If you like a really, really firm bed than by all means stay at this hotel. As I said other than the beds this is a lovely establishment and the staff is very professional and friendly. It appears recently updated but they should have started with a higher quality bed and worked out from there. I found the best room prices on the hotel website using my AAA card. If they ever change the bedding I will return but otherwise I will stay somewhere else the next time I visit my son in Fairfax.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2014

My mother and I were in Fairfax to do some holiday shopping. The rooms are large and clean. It was everything we needed. I was most impressed by the lighting and light switches. Wifi was easy to connect to and decently fast. As other reviews said, it is a newer hotel so it had the new smell. I like the idea of the parking garage and felt safe parking there. The breakfast was more than I expected to see. They had the normal bagels and muffins but they also had a waffle maker and fresh fruit! It was a great stay and I will be coming back when I return to Fairfax.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Makassar, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2014

I stayed for a night in this hotel while i was on a family trip around East Coast, The room was very good, it felt like home because it was so comfy and nice. The hotel staffs were friendly and helpful especially for a tourist like me.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2014 via mobile

Shawn provided superior customer service. He is truly an asset to your company. The young lady on duty with him on Tuesday night (11/18)was also superior. Sorry I don't remember her name. They both made my stay great.

• Stayed November 2014
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2014

This appears to be a very new facility --everything still had that "new" smell.

This is Marriott's newer modern design -- bright colors, edgy furniture and odd shaped rooms, common areas.

Located in a mixed use neighborhood --- storage rentals across street next to under construction town homes and some small stores up and down the main street. Still very quiet at night. Heavy rush hour traffic in the morning but fairly quick to either I-66 or I-95.

Limited parking in front of entrance -- connected to a parking garage instead.

Friendly greeting on arrival -- desk clerk explained the breakfast, elevator locations etc w/o asking. Acknowledged membership in Marriotts Rewards club.

Entered room which was spotless but had a strong smoke odor. Back to desk clerk, apology and switched us to room across hall from first one. Again since it appears to be a new building, everything was fresh, clean and current. No wear on anything. Good firm beds and linens crisp; Lights a little difficult to figure out -- wall switch for overheads and a switch on the entry wall controlling those also. Quiet even though we were directly over the front entrance - 5 floor.

Breakfast next morning was standard fare -- fake eggs / turkey sausage, breads, hard/green melon chucks, yogurt, cereal etc. The young woman handling the room was working hard with a very large crowd of people but was smiling the entire time. Large groups staying there (bus was parked outside) I asked for a tray to take food back to the room since the sleeping room had none (not even under the ice bucket); She apologied saying they didn't have any but then came back with a very large oval decorated tray (obviously used to display food) -- still smiling. I told the desk Manager of her pleasant attitude and he new without me telling him who I was talking about.

Bill under door as usual. Uneventful, restful, good experience.

Rate was very good -- $79.

Room Tip: Ask for a tray and eat your breakfast in your room;
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2014

Stayed here in July without an issue. Came back for a 2 night stay with family, booked 2 rooms. Out early Sat. morning for an event. Returned around 11:30 to change our clothes. Housekeeping was outside our rooms. She saw us come in AND leave. When we returned at 11:00 that night, our rooms were NOT touched. Needed to call for clean towels and glasses, only towels delivered after I was asked if the "Do Not Disturb" sign was on the door. Then at 8:57 on Sunday morning there's a knock on the door. Before I could move from the couch to the door, the door was opened by the maid. I am thoroughly disgusted with the housekeeping staff as well as the lax attitude when I reported these incidents. These folks definitely need some customer service lessons.

Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
JoAnne R, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fairfax, responded to this review, October 27, 2014
Hello PamC, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with, us and please accept my apology and know that not cleaning your room is not typical at our hotel. We read and consider all comments and continuously make improvements. The fact that your room was not cleaned, on Saturday, and you had to request items that should have been provided, is unacceptable service. After receiving your review, we gave our Housekeeping and Front Desk departments additional training in verbal and –non-verbal communications skills. Please know that we have taken action to ensure the problem does not occur at our hotel again and thank you for bringing the matter to my attention. If you return to the Fairfax area, again, I would welcome the opportunity to serve you and prove that we are a quality choice for your accommodations. Please contact me directly for any future reservations, so I can make sure you are well taken care of.

JoAnne Reifel

Been to SpringHill Suites Fairfax? Share your experiences!