“Nice property, comfortable stay” 4 of 5 stars

Free Parking
Ranked #7 of 22 hotels in Fairfax
GreenLeadersBronze level
Neosho
“Nice property, comfortable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My daughters and I stayed here while one of my daughters attended student orientation at George Mason University. It's a nice property with spacious, comfortable mini-suites. The lobby is attractive and the breakfast provided is adequate, nothing fancy. The elevators were a bit slow and the laundry facility could have had more than one washer/dryer set because it tended to stay busy.

The beds were comfortable, the living room type area was a plus as well.

There isn't much adjacent to the hotel and since we arrived without a vehicle, it was a little bit of an inconvenience until we rented a car from the Hertz desk in the lobby.

I plan to stay here again when I return to Fairfax with my daughter to move into the dorms in a few weeks.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

201 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The hotel is nice. Free breakfast and parking. The gym is small and the elevator is extremely slow. Overall nice place to stay. The staff are very friendly.................................................

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
JoAnne R, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fairfax, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Tommy73, Thank you for writing about your stay, and we are glad that you felt our Breakfast Buffet and Parking garage, were a good part of your stay, but that the size of our Fitness Center was small, and the elevator was slow. These comments help us to better the hotel, and evaluate our Fitness Center size, and fine tune the elevator speed. We do look forward to seeing you again if you return to the area, and will make sure you have a great experience in the future.

Lodi, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed for a week for business. Bed was very comfy, and room was spacious. Breakfast was always hot and lots of choices. Pol was very small, and fitness center was lacking. Otherwise, it was a great stay,and I would saty again. Close to shopping and numerous restaurants

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Sevierville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

SpringHill Suites by Marriott on Waples Mill Rd., Fairfax, Va is a great place to stay. The property is very clean and is in an excellent location right off of I-66 near Fair Oaks Mall. It is easy to get just about anywhere in Northern Virginia and the Washington D.C. areas. The staff is courteous and helpful and they are available most of the time. Usually at least two employees were found in the lobby area willing to help, answer questions and provide informations concerning places to eat in the nearby area.

The rooms are well arranged and extremely comfortable. The modern decor in the living area was inviting and the free wifi access at a large desk is great for people who need to work while traveling or just staying just outside the nations capital. The small kitchenett had a small sink, refridgerator and a micorwave and a large countertop space that makes it great for keeping snacks in the room for those down times when you do not want to go out to get something to eat.

The rooms are quiet with no sounds coming from next door or from the hallway. The shades in the window looking to the outside allow plenty of light but do not allow anyone from outside to be capable of looking into the rooms. There are also darkening curtains that can be closed for sleeping. The beds are extremely comforatable and there are plenty of nearby outlets for needed electronics. I had no trouble finding adequate space on the bedside table to plug in and use my cpap equipment that I used during sleep. The lighting in the room is exceptional with not just a ceiling light and bedside lamp but also two small spot lights that can be adjusted to just the amount of light you want to be able to read in bed or just to provide a dim light for sleep time.

If you are planning a trip to the Northern Virginia area or to Washington D.C. but do not want to deal with a lot of traffic, give this hotel a try. The price is very reasonable and the accomodations excellent.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear StanB,
Thank you for your comments, and I am glad that you thought our amenities were acommodating for your stay. Our suites have a ergonomic desk, microwave, refrigerator, and since we are a new hotel, our suites are designed for relaxing, and comfortable experiences. It seems that we were a good choice for your travels, and our convenient location and short discance to the Fairfax activities, and Washington, D.C. help our travelers get to where they want to sghtsee. Thanks again, and if there was anything, that we could have done to make your stay better, please let us know. We strive to exceed your expectations, and look to see you again when in our area.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A wonderfully heartfelt thank you to the staff and General Manager, Joanne Reifel for helping to pull off a surprise party for my business partner's birthday. We are frequent guests at this property and feel like coming to our second home each week. I wanted to celebrate a special birthday this week and Joanne and her team were all on board. They assisted me with all the logistics and went over and above to ensure the surprise was extra special. We had a wonderful evening and couldn't be more grateful. Thank you Joanne and everyone at Springhill for making us feel special each and every visit.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear SAS4760,
On behalf of the SpringHill Suites Fairfax, we appreciate your time to write comments on your stays. We look forward to all our guests that come back week after week, and all our guests are important, and to make sure that anything that we can do to make your stay better, lets us know that we are exceeding your expectations. We are your home away from home, and will continue to help you in any way possible, and glad that your party was a success. Thanks again for staying with us, and look forward to seeing you again soon.

SIncerely,
Vail, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for four nights in June on a family trip, along with my step-daughter. As a Marriott Gold, I stay in LOTS of Marriotts on business and prefer them over any other brand of hotel. This Springhill Suites seems to be relatively new, but was a disappointment, and is beginning to show signs of lack of cleanliness and maintenance. Also, the room design is a little on the strange side. I don't prefer writing negative reviews, but here are my observations:

1. The coffee area in the lobby is disgusting most of the time throughout the day. No one seems to be wiping up the spills and the mess or making fresh coffee for guests. The stains and spills that were there yesterday afternoon were will in place at 5am the next morning. Even overnight, nothing is done about the mess -- is cleanliness and a nice presentation not important to the front desk folks -- who are just a few feet away? Are they working or on vacation?
2. The elevator walls and buttons are crusted with fingerprints and have dirty floors that only seems to be cleaned once in a great while. When I get up in the morning and see the same sticky, unsanitary crap that was on the elevator floors and walls the previous day, it's a real turn-off. I want to wash my hands after using the elevator.
3. The sofabed is extremely uncomfortable, even for a small teenager. It's a fold-out bed of nails.
4. The rooms have no drawers, except for one small drawer under the TV. My wife and I had to stack clothing on a few open shelves here and there, and used our suitcases as flat surfaces.
5. Housekeeping is forgetful -- they forgot to replace the bath mat and we had to use a hand towel on the bathroom floor.
6. Breakfast is an unappetizing mess and understaffed. When the hotel is full, breakfast becomes a noisy, frantic zoo and there seems to be only one person handling the facility. Food and coffee run out, things need to be wiped up, other items need to be restocked, and with one person it falls apart quickly.
7. The coffee is absolutely the worst I've had at any Marriott -- it's weak, flavorless, and you often end up with grounds in your cup. I drink mostly decaf and it was particularly awful.

All of this combined leaves the impression that the hotel staff thinks that they're doing the guests a favor by merely keeping the doors open. I'm not overly-picky by any means, but when people pay good money to stay at a hotel they expect three things: a clean and sanitary facility, relatively attentive staff, and a reasonably comfortable room.

All this being said, I prefer Marriotts over any other hotel brand and will continue to be a loyal customer. I hope this review will be helpful to the hotel management and staff, as well as other customers.

Room Tip: I wasn't on the first floor, but considering how noisy the breakfast area is in the mornings, I...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
JoAnne R, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fairfax, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Hello Mr. Diesel, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to send us your comments on your recent stay, and we do try to exceed our guest expectations, and it does not look like we did that. I am very sorry that you felt our coffee station wasn't kept clean, and our elevators were not monitored more closely. I have spoken to our Housekeeping dept about the bath mat, and unfortunlly, the lack of extra drawer space in the room. When we get comments and feedback from our guests, we do check with all departments to make sure we are taking care of high traffic areas, and will definately this more closely, and make it a priorty, as well as make sure that the Management has a greater presence, in breakfast to make sure that all items are stocked and kept clean. I appreciate your letting us know that we have work to do, and hope that if you are in the area again, you would give us a chance to prove that we can exceed your expectations.

San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I always stay at Marriot and thought them as the cleanest hotel I've ever stayed at, but this hotel disappointed me completely. Woke up with bed bug bites all over my hands. Complained to the receptionist and got an attitude as if I was lying to her face. When I showed her the bite marks, she told me I could have got them from anywhere. Do not recommend at all. if you choose to stay here, lay on the bed for a while and if you feel a pinch, then change your room completely.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
JoAnne R, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fairfax, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Hi Joeyw, I wanted t thank you for your comments, and was shocked that you thought that there were bed bugs, and there are many types of bugs, but we strive to make sure all our suites do not have bugs of any kind. The reaction of our staff is unacceptable, and we will definately make sure that our associates react to a guests comments and make sure that our staff would react also, so that we can provide you with a clean suite, and in your case, we did not meet that expectation. I truly apologize for the experience you had and we really do try to make sure your stay would exceed your expectations, and hope that if you do come to our area again, you would give our hotel another chance to prove that we can provide great service, and a clean and comfortable suite.

SIncerely,

Been to SpringHill Suites Fairfax? Share your experiences!