“Uncomfortable sofabed and room temperature..but else was alright.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of SpringHill Suites Fairfax

Save 15% This Summer!
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Fairfax
GreenLeadersBronze level
virginia
“Uncomfortable sofabed and room temperature..but else was alright.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

My husband and my 2 teenage boys stayed 2 nights here Dec.13-15 because of a swim meet at GMU. We live 50 minutes away but because I knew northern VA traffic is so bad, we decided to book a room here so that we can save time. They had to be at GMU early morning and then had to go back for finals at 4:30pm.

The positives: room was clean, breakfast was alright (they didn't stay around to eat but picked up some food before they left each morning). The staff was very friendly and was able to give my husband a room with 2 double beds and a sofabed though we could only book a king at the time so it was nice of them to honor our request at check-in. The double beds were comfortable..both boys had their own bed because they are on the taller side. There was a half wall to separate the couch and a desk from the 2 beds. Location was great though there are lots of traffic on the way to GMU on Weeknights and mornings. The drive to GMU took longer than we thought: 15-20 minutes though it is about 3.5 miles away. Weekend traffic was less. Great Indoor parking but it was completely filled on Friday night due to upper parking lot which was closed to ice.

The negatives: The sofabed was so uncomfortable the first night, my husband could not sleep at all so he and I switched places...he went home (we live 50 minutes away) and I came and slept the second night on the couch not the sofabed. He is 6'2" and I am 5'4 so the couch fit the length of my body. The bad thing was he had to drive back and I went home the next day to send my other child to school. The other thing that bothered us was the heating unit. We could not get the temperature we wanted. The front office told us it takes awhile but no matter how long we waited it could not stay stable so I just turned it off because cold air blew the entire time.
Lastly, we could not find a parking space on Friday..probably because the top portion of the parking lot was closed due to ice so we couldn't fault the hotel..but it was a hassle because people were fighting for the spaces and we were told our other option was to park across the street in a shopping center. NO way was I going to leave our car in the outdoor shopping center so I waited for 20 minutes in the parking lot to get a space which wasn't fun at all.

Overall, it was alright. Would I stay here again next year? Not sure. If they can replace the sofabed...then I will come back..maybe it was just that one in our room.

Room Tip: Don't rely on the sofabed
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
JoAnne R, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fairfax, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear Trixgirl, We appreciate your taking the time to wrie us about your stay, and I am glad that you did find us close to GMU, during your recent swim meet. While I realize that your good comments on the hotel were appreciated, I am really sorry about the Sofa Sleeper bed. We always want to hear about any problems, so that we can resolve them, and also our AC units are individually controlled, and as we are a new hotel, I apologize for the problem with the AC unit and not getting to the desired temperature for you. I hope that you will try us again to prove that we do have great service, and our accommodations will meet your expectations. We hope you have a great Holiday Season, and Happy New Year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

The staff here are unbelievable- so helpful and friendly. The receptionist saw we were exhausted on arrival and went and made us a cup of coffee. The room was large- a REAL suite. All mod cons. We even used the hotel laundry. Very clean, comfortable bed, great breakfast.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tim C, We appreciate your comments, and enjoy hearing about our service, and spacious suites. We realize that there are many choices of hotels in our area, and look forward to seeing you if you travel to Fairfax in the future. Our guests are most important to us, and service is always based on making sure your stay is great and hope to see you again soon. We hope you have a great Holiday Season, and Happy New Year.

Clinton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I have never reviewed a hotel before, but I wanted to write this review as I have stayed numerous times here. I travel extensively for business all over the world and stay at Marriott and other very nice hotels. The service of this staff is amazing! Since my first stay, the staff always remembers me and welcomes me upon my arrival. The night manager, Parminder Singh, should be the manager of a five-star property. I have never seen better customer service in my life. His staff is also very friendly and helpful. The breakfast staff is also great and always remember me when I visit. The rooms are always clean and comfortable and the front desk staff always remembers my preferences. I will always come back to this hotel! Thank you Mr. Singh and thank you to your staff.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear AmyXS, Thank you for writing us about your stay, and we always want to exceed our guests expectations, and I am sure that when you visit again, we will provide you with the best service so that your loyalty will bring you back to our hotel. Parminder is certainley on of our best amabassadors of service, and goes out of his way to make sure all our guests are like royalty to us. We hope you have a great Holiday Season, and look forward to seeing you again, when you travel to Fairfax.

Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We recently visited this hotel for the second time, our first was November 2012. We came to the area for my son's birthday trip and decided to stay at Spring Hill Suites again because we had such a great experience the first time around. I had three boys with me, my 2 sons (9 & 10) and my son's friend (12). They loved the pool and the breakfast choices. The staff was just as friendly as before. We will definitely be back!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
JoAnne R, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fairfax, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Hello Dands611, Thank you for writing us about your experience and I am glad that you celebrated your son's birthday with us, and hope that you will make that a annual trip. We always like to see our returning guests and make sure you have a great experience. Your return shows us that you think of us when your in the Fairfax area. Please let us know if you return again, so that we can do something special for your son's birthday or other occasion. Hope to see you soon.

Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is my second opportunity to stay at this hotel (first time, July 2012) and it did not disappoint. Still a great rate, wonderful service and good to see familiar faces. Many of the people I worked with are still there. It's nice to be remembered after that length of time and considering the amount of people they saw since then. This location is close to Hwy 66 and some very good restaurants. Looking forward to visiting again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear KatheeG, I wanted to thank you for choosing our hotel again, and we do have many of our associates from 2012 still with us, and we always like to visit with returning guests. We always strive to make a great impression on our guests, and the fact that you returned, show us, that we did make a connection, and hope that you will return again in the near future. Please let us know when you return, so that we can connect again.

Boardman, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Clean, comfortable, spacious, excellent staff, affordable! My husband and I stayed at this location while traveling and we loved it. Conveniently located & highly recommended! Manager was extremely pleasant and knows all his guests' names and faces!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Mandy T, Thank you for letting us know that you had a great stay, and we try to make sure that all our guests experience is a good one, and we are convenient to the DC Metro area, as well as many shopping centers. If you are returning to our area, I hope that we will have the opportunity to visit with you, and I have passed on your comments about our Front Desk service. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

When looking for this hotel, it was given good reviews by others so I figured I would try it. Was a great place overall and the bed was soooo comfy! I was a bit disappointed by the breakfast but discovered a love of nutella (is an offering with the jams/spreads on site). Was hopping for waffle bar but what they did have was decent overall considering. Location was central to a lot of areas for food and shopping and I ended up going to 2 DSW's in the area (and making purchases at each). I would definitely stay again as the staff were very nice and helpful. Once or twice they may have been a bit too cheerful but I appreciated their efforts toward service excellence. One downside out of the hotel's control is the traffic in the area...please be sure to be strategic as you travel throughout the day to get around, especially related to the evening rush hour. Otherwise, a great place to stay!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear caminkins99, On behalf of the staff of the SpringHill Suites, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write about your stay, and glad that you found Nutella on our Breakfast bar. Nutella is a new offering on our breakfast with other jams, jellies, nuts, fruits, and deli ham and cheese. It seems that you had a great eperience shopping in the Fairfax area, and we are very close to the Fair Oaks Mall also. I hope that you will return to our hotel again in your travels, and thanks for staying with us.

Geeral Manager

Been to SpringHill Suites Fairfax? Share your experiences!