“Could be your scene.... Not really mine” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #65 of 343 Restaurants in Fairfax
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Fairfax, Virginia
“Could be your scene.... Not really mine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Several people recommended this place to us when we first moved to the DC area, telling me the food and wine were wonderful and the atmosphere very special. One evening we arrived only to be told they require reservations and the seating will be at 6. We ate elsewhere. A second time, our party of four was not all there at 6, and again we had to eat elsewhere. Finally, three friends and I made sure to be available at 6 pm, made reservations in advance, and arrived on time. I am not sure if this seating policy is intended to make the restaurant feel a bit exclusive, or if the manager is just a control freak, but it takes the Wine House out of my rotation for spontaneous drink and nibbles. Anyway, various members of our party ordered the Malbec, a sauvignon blanc, and a pino noir. We also had the cheese and charcuterie board, which was delightful. We did have to ask the server to tell us which cheese was which (she set the board down and walked away), but did a fine job explaining the cheeses. The mussels were delicious, the watercress soup light and refreshing. The beet and fennel salad is a winner! Total bill was $125 before tip. Overall, the food was fine, the wine was fine, the service was okay... So what is all the fuss about? Because of its proximity to where I live and work, I suppose I will end up going back there one day, but it will not be my first call. I do not understand the need to be inaccessible, or to turn people away at the door because they do not arrive for "the seating." So much for stumbling in for a glass of wine and bite of bread at the end of a long work day.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Fairfax
“Quiet Excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I just had a great meal will several great wines. This quite wine shop doubles as a tasting bar and serves excellent meals to accompany the wine. While our food took a little time to get to us, all the staff were very attentive and the wine selection was ample and reasonably priced. We will definitely be back again!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Alexandria, Virginia
“I'm not sure of this place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We arrived and were seated close to the window. Almost immediately, we were given glasses of water and my friend noticed something that wasn't supposed to be in the water in the glass. This was kind of embarassing as this place is supposed to be pretty clean.
We did order our food and I ordered a glass of wine. The wine came and I was just slightly surprised by the small portion of wine.
Our food took longer than expected and I saw several other tables get their food before we did and they came in after us.
Our food did finally arrive, and it was good....excellent? No, great? No...it was just good.
After dinner, we were comped a free dessert....was it for the slow service or what was in the glass of water?

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Fairfax, Virginia
“Has Promise but Poor Service Ruined it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Maybe my expectations were too high based on the reviews or we just hit it on a bad night, but there was a lot of room for improvement. The wine list is extensive and we were debating between two options so the waitress suggested a sample of each. We tried the two and made our choice but the waitress took forever to return so once we flagged her down, we placed our appetizer and dinner choices as well. The charcuterie was excellent and if we had stopped there I would have given the place a decent rating, but the entrees were average to poor. My friend ordered the crab cake which tasted like breadcrumbs and nothing of crab. Most of the mussels were okay except several weren't open indicating they were not fully steamed or just plain bad. I would have sent them back but the waitress ignored our table. She wasn't busy, spent most of the time leaning against the kitchen counter with her back towards us. We flagged her down for a desert menu, but she never bothered to bring it so we asked for the check. Luckily, my friend checked the bill because we were charged for 2 bottles of wine when we only had one. Again we had to flag her down and she said sorry, but it seems like she was only sorry we caught the $30 mistake.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Manassas, Virginia
“Good Wines”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

They have a good selection of wines on the shelves, but the list for by the glass is average. Food looked good, but we just had the cheese and meat plate.

• Visited February 2013