“Good Wines” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Manassas, Virginia
“Good Wines”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

They have a good selection of wines on the shelves, but the list for by the glass is average. Food looked good, but we just had the cheese and meat plate.

• Visited February 2013

Fairfax, Virginia, United States
“Quaint and relaxing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Our boss took the whole staff here for Christmas celebration. My boss ordered platters of tasty cheeses, breads, crab cakes and dips. We started off with tasting a white bubbly type of wine, not sure what it was called but, definitely delicious and we ended with reds from different countries.

I had a great time and enjoyed the atmosphere and company. Will definitely go again.

• Visited December 2012
Lorton, Virginia, United States
“Oenophile's Paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Having heard about this place while at the nearby Auld Shebeen, I had to go in and try it. That was about four years ago, and my wife and I are now regulars for the Saturday wine tastings as well as the occasional meal.

You will find that the food prices might be a bit high for your liking but the food is fantastic and elegantly presented. The wine is an amazing collection from around the world's best-known wine regions - including a line produced by the owner and a partner in his home country of New Zealand.

If it is wine you want, go here. You'll get a glass and an education about what's in it.

• Visited February 2013
Virginia
“Friendly Place to Eat and drink”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We enjoyed our wine and dinner at The Wine House. Staff is very friendly. You can purchase wine at retail plus a $10 corking fee which is very reasonable. You can take home your opened bottle too. I had the beef burgundy for dinner and my husband had the sausage. Both were good. We started with a bread and 3 spreads for appetizer which was also good. Black bean soup was ok (or maybe we just aren't a fan of the soup). Tables were full so we had to sit at the bar where everyone else was also eating full dinners. Not your typical bar where people are just waiting for a table. The bar serves as a second mini kitchen and this is why I gave it 3 stars. They scrape the plates, wash the glasses, refill the water jugs, etc. It was not relaxing to watch all this action going on while eating and drinking. So, I suggest you wait for a table.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fairfax, Virginia
“Expectations Exceeded in Fairfax City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Our party of 5 had dinner last night at The Wine House and our expectations were pleasantly exceeded. Knowing that they don't take reservations (except for a 6pm seating) we were prepared to wait up to an hour. Every table was full so the very friendly hostess found us a "spot" to wait and enjoy a drink. It wasn't a great spot but this place is small and I appreciate that she gave us a place to "call home" for a bit. As it turned out, we were seated in about 10 minutes. Our server, also a Sommolier, guided us in choosing our wines which was nice to try something we may not have considered. (They have a nice selection of wines that won't break the bank.) He was friendly, knowledgeable, and made the evening fun. While it was obvious he was busy, we felt well taken care of.

Now, onto the food. My last 2 experiences at The Wine House had been good and enjoyable. This experience was far better than expected. We started with the bagette which comes with 3 types of spreads. They were all good, but the Salmon Rillette was out of this world good with capers and arugula salad to top off the salmon. Presentation was elegant and reminded me of a restaurant in Napa Valley.

Our entrees included 2 of the crab cake, the sea bass special, the wild boar sausage, and the beef burgundy. Each person raved about their meal. I tasted the mustard/mushroom sauce that came with the crab cake and it was delicious; an unexpected twist for a crabcake. The crab cake itself was a large portion, full of meat, and prepared perfectly (and this from 2 people who love their crabcakes!). The wild boar sausage was ordered by my brother who isn't an overly adventurous eater. Our server assured him that the sausage wasn't real gamey and that it was quite good. My brother agreed and enjoyed every last bite. My beef loving sister-in-law ordered the sea bass and said at least 3 times how delicious it was. The beef burgundy was enjoyable with a deep rich taste to the sauce that comes from a low and slow cooking time. My only disappointment was the noodles. They seemed very generic for such a dish. After trying it, I was wishing for some homemade, wide egg noodles, but hey, it was only $18 and I have left- overs for today. So, this isn't really a complaint!!

Dessert...we decided to try 2 of the 3 options but our server highly recommended the white chocolate bread pudding, so we tried all 3!! I love bread pudding but some of the others aren't fans. We had a passion fruit creme brulee, a dark chocolate "turine" and the bread pudding. Hands down the bread pudding was the best. EVERYONE loved it and agreed that it was delicious. The dark chocolate dish was meant to be very dense. It was good but a bit "dry" if that's possible in chocolate and the passion creme brulee was just to tangy for us to enjoy.

While we were finishing our wine, my sister-in-law, having enjoyed the evening so much, went and bought her good friend a gift certificate for a birthday present. It says a lot when you want to come back the very next week with friends. A great place to enjoy a night out!

• Visited January 2013