“Great food and wonderful people!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #50 of 349 Restaurants in Fairfax
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Fairfax Station, Virginia
“Great food and wonderful people!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We have eaten at the Wine House twice for special dinners with wine pairings and will definitely go back. The food is good and the service has been excellent. It's a little on the pricey side but good food isn't cheap.
Go!

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Clifton, Virginia
“Wonderful food, wine and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We had a wonderful weeknight dinner at The Wine House. Ryan did an excellent job of pairing the perfect wines with our entrees, and the service was exceptional! I had the mussels in coconut milk, and my husband had the rack of lamb special. Both were excellent, and we will defintely be back!

Fairfax, Virginia
“An Unexpected Treat in Suburbia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

The Wine House was completely full on the Saturday evening that our foursome visited, so we were glad to have made the single reservation possible, for a 6:00 pm seating. Patrons might generally know that the Wine House is a very good retail wine store that also offers meals. As such, bottles are offered at cost plus a $10 corkage fee. Patrons can select from the wide selection on the shelves, but the menu also lists certain bottles with the corkage fee included, which are also available by the glass.

The Wine House is conveniently located in the center of Fairfax, in a complex that provides free parking and includes other restaurants, such as Bollywood Bistro and Asian Bistro. I suspect The Wine House is the best of the lot. It has a sophisticated urban ambience, with a spare, business-like interior evident in butcher-block tables with stools. The youngish crowd seemed quite chic, and so I could have easily imagined that I was in DC, rather than 20 miles away in Fairfax.

The Wine House offers a thoughtfully assembled “cheese and charcuterie board,” allowing patrons to select from a list of cheeses and meats with a choice of four costing $16 and six for $24. We selected a sopressata (an Italian dried salami), prosciutto, and the house pate, plus three cheeses. The selection arrived with a baguette, slices of brown bread, two types of biscuits (one of which was Carr’s), seedless grapes, and thinly sliced green apples. It arrived quickly, and, all in all, it was the perfect starter for our meal.

Our main courses were artfully prepared. I had the beef tenderloin (at $25, the most expensive dish on the menu), while others had a salmon filet with asparagus, boneless short ribs with chipotle and cumin, and pork belly. The beef tenderloin was cooked to perfection, and the accompanying green beans practically snapped when bitten. The one minor quibble was that the sauce that accompanied the short ribs (which were quite tender) was unexpectedly sweet. We also shared a bottle of Dom Pere Caboche from Cotes du Rhone. The wine was a bit thin, but had a complex aftertaste, probably a better complement to the salmon and pork belly rather than my tenderloin.

Altogether, with tip, our tab was $170. I will definitely be back, especially since the restaurant is just two miles from my house.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great wine, excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I took out of town guests to The Wine House for a weekday early dinner and we all enjoyed it very much. The wine selection is outstanding and we each enjoyed a different wine. Among us, we had lamb chops, fish and beef short ribs and everything was delicious. The vibe is laid back, which was perfect for us, as my friends had just come in from the west coast and were tired (and hungry). This was a Tuesday night and we didn't have reservations, but had no trouble getting a table right away.

• Visited October 2012
Fairfax, Virginia
“A kind of a disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

My husband and I walked over there for dinner last night, and because the evening was pleasant, we opted for a table under the stars. That was very nice. My first course was gazpacho, and it was perfect, rich with tomato flavor and a bit of spice to kick it up a notch. I loved it. My main course was pork tenderloins wrapped in bacon with a cherry wine sauce. I'm sorry to say, it lacked a lot of flavor, and if there were supposed to be cherries in my wine sauce, I didn't get any of them. My husband had the ribs. He also thought they were only okay, not bad but not great either. My biggest disappointment was the coffee. I ordered decaf cappuccino and it tasted like dish water. I don't know how they prepared the coffee, but I didn't taste the fine expresso, just a lot of foam and watery coffee. What a shame because I had heard such good things about this restaurant from friends.

Visited September 2012