“The music makes the night” 4 of 5 stars

+1 703-293-9600
Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 333 Restaurants in Fairfax
Cuisines: Irish, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Auld Shebeen is Fairfax City's only authentic Irish Pub and Restaurant. In Ireland a Shebeen was an illicit drinking den, an after hours speakeasy where once inside people found good familiar conversation, drink, friends and great food! Fascinating history surrounds these shebeens that have always offered excitement for local patrons and will forever be a part of Irish lore. Our Menu is based on both traditional Irish recipes and American cuisine. Our house specialties include our Seafood Stew, Dubliner Stuffed Chicken and our Filet Mignon with Irish whiskey and green peppercorn sauce,with many others including many traditional Irish pub favorites like our Guinness Beef Stew, Shepherd's Pie or Fish and Chips. So whether it is a few quiet pints after work or a special evening out, here at The Auld Shebeen we will do our utmost to make your visit with us a special one. We feature live traditional Irish music every Friday and Saturday in the restaurant.
Lakeland, Florida
“The music makes the night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I'd had a hankering for corned beef and cabbage since St. Patrick's Day and so we chose to eat here. It was in a place that I think used to be The Black Eyed Pea when I lived here prior to 2001. That doesn't matter, though.

Corned beef was good, not great, but the cabbage was great. Of course, it's cabbage. The mashed potatoes were great, as well, but again, they're potatoes. But it was exactly what I wanted, and it was completely up to my standards! Add in a true Black and Tan and you've got a great meal.

The band that played that night made the evening great, though. Everyone got involved, even though most of us didn't know the songs, and the place was LOUD and FUN.

Don't go here on a night with the band if you want to have deep discussions or hash out some business. Go here to drink beer and eat comfort food and clap and maybe even dance a bit.

My brother's been here on a weeknight and says the place is completely different - no band, no crowds, no energy, but the food is still good.

I have to add that I'm not usually inclined to like LOUD, FUN places like this. Maybe I was just in a good mood, or it was the first night of my vacation, but whatever the reason I really enjoyed my night here.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Washington, DC
“Great Addition to Fairfax”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

This room has a great tradition, having served as a music club and restaurant in many incarnations over the years. The Auld Shebeen rendition is a fine addition. More personality than Black Eyed Pea and a little more classy than the old dive bar, Olivers.

The service and food in the upstairs restaurant meet expectations for good food and good knife and fork service. However, it is great that they are also opening up their downstairs bar to music and events for the younger crowd. We need well managed club experiences in our community, and these folks ae doing that in a style miost welcome.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“St Patty Day - average at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

seemed like a nice place to a good traditional St Patty day meal -- food was average - place (downstairs) has the colege dump feel (smelled like a urinal)

atlanta, ga
“Great sandwich, so-so service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Second time to this place. Couldn't wait to get the portobello mushroom sandwich. Still as good as remembered.

The bread in the basket brought to the table was stale, and when my daughter asked the waiter for new bread, the, I'm assuming owner, (an Irish guy), came over to tell us there was nothing wrong with the bread - it was probably from the end of the loaf! Whatever. It was still dried out and inedible.

If the young waiter spent more time attending to our drinks clearing the table after we finished, and less to my 21 year old daughter, everything would have been perfect!

Can't complain about the food though, it was delish. She had the pasta primavera and loved it.

I have to give this place credit for checking her proof of age. She ran out of her dorm without her purse, so didn't have her license. She ordered a Guiness. She was asked for I.D. She had her student ID card - no good, no DOB. Me as her mom - still, no go. I had her birthday present and cards on the table. I told the waiter the one from us notes it's for her 22nd birthday, if he wanted to open it. Still no dice, which is how it should be.

I'll be here in town for the next few days to celebrate her 22nd. I'll beat she won't forget her license tomorrow!

Palmyra, Virginia
“Four star pub, Two star restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Come here if you're looking for a good neighborhood pub. Not easy to find an entrance to the parking garage across the street...but its there. Always has the air of a lively place, packed with people yet typically enough room to join in. Their beer is cold, service is quick, and the price is right. Their scheduled live music is a plus. The restaurant service is very good, quick, and courteous, though the meals are not much to right home about. Their menu intentionally/appropriately has a basic Irish focus, but I've had much better. Go there for the pub atmosphere.

• Visited March 2013