“Piece of Ireland” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Springfield, Virginia
“Piece of Ireland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

What a great Irish themed restaurant! Food is very good, reasonably priced. Beer is good, wine selections okay. Music nice!

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

81% Recommend
Fairfax, Virginia
“Excellent Pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I come here mainly for lunch, and the occasional happy hour. The Shebeen never fails to please. Lunchtime meals are excellent, in my opinion: good sandwiches, really good fresh salads, filling & tasty Irish fare. My British friend rates the Shebeen's shepherds pie as outstanding. Good selection of beers, which the barkeeps know how to pour (beer drinkers will know what I mean). The pub's Irish owners seem a constant presence, looking after the competent and very friendly staff, and making sure the clientele are satisfied. The ambience is Irish-American pub style, with house music (generally folk and traditional Irish) kept pleasantly low. Televisions are lined above the bar for the sports fans. Again, the volume is kept low, or mute, so you can enjoy a conversation, a quiet read, while hearing yourself think and not needing to shout.

The Shebeen has a lunch card: buy five lunches and the sixth is on the house (Monday through Saturday). There's a nice Irish music jam session on Saturday afternoons, which families find enjoyable. I can't comment on evenings at the Shebeen; as mentioned, I'm a lunch time visitor. But the Shebeen has been around for over seven years, so they're obviously doing something right!

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Friendly place with okay food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

I know I had the half slab of ribs and there was no doggy bag. I was hungry & the half slab was small. The salad was good. My feeling was that everything was medium temperature including white wine & the glass of champagne to celebrate some good news we received while dining. I hate medium warm champagne.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, Virginia
“Cool Pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Easy walk from Stafford House. Nice neighborhood. Cool atmosphere. Cold beer! Good food.

Visited June 2012
Bristow, VA
“By far my favorite Irish Pub in Northern Virginia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I always enjoy going to the Auld Sheeban - it's one of my favorite Irish pubs in Northern Virginia. I enjoy the live music - which always seems to have a traditional flair. I've enjoyed the food I've ordered - and I think their beef stew is over the top. Potatoes-Potatoes we love them boiled and fried - Potatoes-Potatoes with whiskey on the side! Oh, the curry fries are super! By far the best curry sauce I've encountered at an Irish pub!

Ta se go hiontach! Slan agat! :-)

• Visited May 2012