“Probably best Thai in this area” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 340 restaurants in Fairfax
Good for: Families with children, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Fairfax, Virginia
“Probably best Thai in this area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

My wife and I have tried half dozen Thai restaurants in the Fairfax/Chantilly area over past couple years and keep retuning to this family run little jewel in a short strip mall just east of Shirleygate on 29.. An attentive staff, excellent variety on the menu at very reasonable prices, careful preparation all served in a small but tasteful dining room. The chef or wait staff are frequently having their own dinner in the dining area if the place is not too busy. I like that. Parking can be iffy as there are a couple fronts with higher volume traffic co-located and all share the few spots, but there is adequate parking in the big lot that now houses a new Wal-Mart right behind this little treasure. We will be back to be sure!

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

82% Recommend
San Francisco, California
“Family run place, clean and healthy food ..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

This is the place where the owner comes and talks to you about food, service and about you. That is great. A small family run restaurant serving authentic Thai dishes, not a whole lot of items but whatever they have they just do it right. I think last year they were on 'Best of Fairfax 2010' Washingtonian 100 top restaurant list. Their Chicken Tamarind, Red Curry and Pad Thai Noodles dishes are just great. Try it on your next visit to Fairfax.

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Northern VA
“Small, Decent Food But Needs Some Improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

I keep forgetting to snap a photo of the Pad Thai dishes I've been trying lately--not that the dish is based on its appearance, however, to me--a proper dish of Pad Thai is presented a certain way. The dish usually has the accompanying bean sprouts, crushed peanuts, finely-shredded carrot, Green Onions, etc..on the plate--separated from the noodles which are smothered in the delicious blend of Pad-Thai flavorings (Tamarind, Fish Sauce, Sugar, etc..). This way, the customer can add the various condiments to the noodles--or not.

At this restaurant--the bean sprouts and ground peanuts were tossed and cooked together. It's not the "end of the world" but, for someone who "knows" good Pad Thai; it bothers me a bit. The once-crisp bean sprouts are certainly no longer "crisp" when they're cooked in the noodle/sauce mixture. There was a lack of green onions and shredded carrot so the dish was rather bland and boring in appearance. The taste was good--not GREAT, but certainly acceptable.

A small "goof" on their part was that we ordered an appetizer of Larb Gai (ground chicken with a thin vinegar/fish-sauce, thinly sliced red onion, cilantro, fresh hot pepper) and before it came they brought out my main course of Pad Thai!! I asked where our Larb Gai was and he said it was coming shortly. My friend and I looked at each other and chuckled. I didn't want to eat my Pad Thai first so it sat in front of me while we awaited the Larb Gai. Eventually the Larb Gai and my friend's entree arrived so now it all had to be consumed at once. Poor service on the part of the waiter.

The restaurant is small and we were in a tight corner on a small "two-person" table. It was VERY "tight quarters" and I was uncomfortable the entire time.

I'm not sure if I'd return here as there are still many other Thai restaurants which seem to have a better ambiance and better dishes.

• Visited October 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Raleigh, NC
“Wow--Great Thai!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

During a brief trip to George Mason U., I Googled this place from the Marriott nearby (about 5 minutes drive). Absolutely wonderful food--made totally fresh, with great, attentive service. It's a smallish place but clean and nicely appointed. Had spring rolls (excellent), then the seafood pattaya--an assortment of mussels, shrimp, scallops, and other seafood in a red curry coconut base with rice. And a glass of decent wine for about $5. One of the best Thai meals I've had in several years. I highly recommend it--everyone in the restaurant seemed very happy with their meals.

• Visited February 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Drunken noodles and green sticky rice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

We ordered take out from Pad Thai last night (Saturday night, February 5th, 2011) for dinner for four people and took it to our friend's apartment. We didn't call ahead to the restaurant, we just walked in and placed our order at the counter in the back. The gal was very accommodating (I think she's one of the owners). It wasn't crowded for a Saturday night but there was traffic in and out. Seems like other people were ordering take out too.

We ordered four Spring Rolls as an appetizer, since the menu shows three Spring Rolls for $4.95, she gave us an extra one, no issues. We ordered two main dishes to share among the four of us, chicken Pad Thai and Seafood Drunken Noodles (with shrimp and scallops only for our friends). We also ordered two small bowls of steamed white rice and for dessert, two orders of mango and sticky rice to share between the four of us. The total for our order was $44.00, not bad for four people, appetizer, main dish and dessert. After we placed our order we sat in the small main dining room and watched TV until our order was ready. It didn't take long, about 10 minutes.

The Spring Rolls were excellent, crunchy and full of flavor. The chicken Pad Thai was cooked to perfection. The noodles were soft, not dry and the chicken was tender. No rubber chicken tonight. The Drunken Noodles were a bit too spicy for our friends, but I liked them. I'll have to remember to ask them to make it less spicy next time.

I love mango and sticky rice (fresh mango served with sweet rice topped with coconut cream and toasted sesame seeds). They use green food coloring for the sticky rice and they also use the green color in the Thai Custard & Stick Rice. My friend didn't like the added food coloring but I didn't mind, it doesn't affect the flavor.

Overall, excellent food, fast service and reasonable prices.

• Visited February 2011