“Bargain near corporate Fairfax sites” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Fairfax
Wisconsin
“Bargain near corporate Fairfax sites”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

I stayed here while attending a session at a corporation in Fairfax. This hotel offers a free shuttle service to/from corporate locations within 4 miles of the hotel. A list of companies they shuttle to are listed on their website. (But take a map with you showing the location of the company you want a ride to - my driver took me to the wrong company and I had to show him my map to get dropped in the correct location - a company that WAS on the list on their website.) This hotel is very close to Washington Dulles airport. From Washington National airport you can connect to the DC Metro Orange Line and take that to the last stop, Vienna/Fairfax-GMU, then it is 6.5 miles to the hotel. The hotel offers a free shuttle from the Metro, but only Monday through Friday. If you arrive on the weekend you must take a $20 taxi ride. I paid a $71.99 AAA Rate, which is a bargain in this area. I was given a jacuzzi room (but paid for only a normal room) which had a coffeemaker, microwave, big (3-foot tall) refrigerator, wired Internet, and a Sony Dream Machine radio that plays CDs and has weather radio. There was a great free breakfast 6AM-10AM, with make-your-own waffles. It is a 5 minute walk to 7-11, Wendy's, and nice restaurant Ruby Tuesdays. The hotel has a restaurant , but it is closed on Sunday. The hotel has a solarium swimming pool as well. They have one computer for use by guests in the Business Center, but it had pop-up messages on it that it was infected so I didn't use it. Aside from the little annoyances I noted, I would recommend this hotel if you are doing business at one of the companies in the area. It was the least expensive place I found with acceptable TripAdvisor ratings.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

We stayed one night, sunday over to Monday morning as my husband was in town for a conference.

The facility is an older place but they are trying to offer what they can and someone is always in a hall, elevator or where ever cleaning so everything at least smells clean!

I specfically picked this hotel based on two things, it had a pool and it was inexpensive.
On those selections, how can I be too picky right?

However, the double beds are just that. Double, not queen or an inch bigger. The wonderful bedding made them barable for the night!
The condition of the room was sketchy. The antique "efficiency" kitchen was sad. The appliances were old (Acme brand anyone?) and the metal counter tops were well, a bit frightening. We only needed the fridge tho and it was cold so, there you go!

The bathroom had a nice enough sink area but the tub was old, needed a curved shower rod to give enough room and the water pressure was very low.

The TV had very limited channel selection. No HGTV or Disney channel left us sad as it is one thing we love about hotels usually. lder TV, no falt screens here.

The interenet was not wireless in the room however, once I connected, it seemed fine.

Our biggest problem was the pool. It was only open form 5pm to 10pm. What? We travel with little ones who live for the hotel pool. They usually jump in as soon as we check in and swim again after dinner and next morning after breakfast before we check out. Not so here. They swam once and we adjusted our dinner to fit it in. Also there is a lifeguard who seems more concerned with testing the water every 30 minutes and telling us he would have to close the pool if lightening or thunder came along (he constantly got up and looked at the sky like he wished it would!) Not a very pleasant experience to say the least.

The hotel is in a very ethnically diverse area which is fein with us, we travel alot and the plac had a more urban feel then I expected.

There is a chinese restaurant on the premises we planned to eat at but it was closed on Sunday when we checked in. That seemed very strange to us! they also said they had chinese breakfast selctions for the continental breakfast. We found only boxes of raman noodles as a nod to this. Again, strange. REst of breakfast fare was standard but not as many selections as we are used to and they did not peel their hard boiled, eggs prior to puttign them out cold on the buffett! Very hard to peel (here's a free tip off topic but, drop them in a cup of hot water and wait a few minutes and they will peel easier and they will be slightly warm to eat.)

The other creepy thing about this place is the computers with free internet access is inside the locked breakfast room (have to ask for key) but there is a window to the interior corridor so you can see in) When we arrived and were walking the hall and getting our bearings we passeds this window with our two small c hildren. A man happened to be usign one of the computers and he had opened up an x rated site and it was disgusting to have see that. Don't hotels have blocks on public computers or something? I did not bring it to managements attention as I would be there alone in the hotel when my husband was at work later/following day.

I did not think this place deserved the Choice Hotel label. It is not up to what I have come to expect from this brand. Very glad I had only booked for one night. Good riddence. What dissappointment as we travel with the husband for a nice little mini vacation while he is at conference. This was one time I wished I had saved the money, no matter how little, and stayed home or spent the extra $15 more and stayed someplace else.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Buffalo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

I made our reservation through the Choice Hotels website. The pictures I was able to see were acceptable. We arrived at 3:10 p.m. and was given the key to our room. First, you have to walk up and down stairs to get to an elevator, with luggage this was a bit difficult. Also, there were two elevators but one was out of service. Once we arrived at our room we discovered that had not been cleaned. We went back to the desk and explained the situation. We were told to wait, we waited about 20-30 minutes. The room was a bit larger than the original dirty room. There wasn't any dresser, there was a television that was about 10 years old. It appears that the Comfort Inn University is quite focussed on amenities, pool, shuttle, wi fi, breakfast, the type of things that are more easily fixed than actually updating the hotel.

I would like to say that we only paid $80 a night with AAA discount, but I guess you get what you pay for.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Long Island,NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

My family stayed here for one night. We had a pleasant stay. We very much appreciated the Chinese Restaurant that was at the hotel. After a long drive from Long Island,NY it was great to not have to drive to dinner. After dinner my son and I enjoyed the indoor pool. The water temp was warm and a good swim is always a great way to end the day.I found this hotel quiet,even though it is off of a main road. The most important thing to me is cleanliness and this hotel did not disappoint. The room including the bathroom was clean. Another great reason to stay at Comfort Inn is the free breakfast. Belgium Waffles,hard boiled eggs, cereal, muffins,donuts,toast and many more items. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

On a recent business trip to D.C., I had the pleasure to stay at this Comfort Inn in Fairfax, Virginia. I felt compelled to write a review due to the excellent service of the front desk staff, which treated me like family from the moment I arrived until long after I departed (more on that later).

I choose this location due to its proximity to IAD (13 miles), great value, and their do-it-yourself waffle machine (YUM!). The hotel was centrally located to all the places I needed to be meeting in northern Virginia and D.C. and was a great price for such a last minute trip. I booked a king bedroom and got upgraded to a deluxe king room upon check in. The deluxe king had a hot tub, microwave, and fridge! It worked out well because I stocked up on some snacks and drinks from the Giant grocery store across the street.

After I left and returned to Cali, I realized that I had left some files for work in my hotel room. I contacted the wonderful front desk staff and they took the trouble of mailing it all back to me. All in all, a fantastic experience! Next time, I have to try their indoor swimming pool that looked very inviting!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Mystic, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

We recently stayed at this hotel while visiting the Fairfax and D.C. area. We brought our dog with us and found this to be a great pet friendly hotel. We were probably the only ones with a dog but none the less, it was perfect for us. In fact, right next to the hotel is a wonderful park with a great hiking trail where we walked our dog in the morning and evening. The hotel even provides bags to pick up after the dog. Attached are some pictures of the park, the high school, the trail and the hotel. The front desk team was very friendly and accommodating. The rooms were more or less average and we found them comfortable for us and our dog (who was crated while we slept and while we left the hotel, she does great in hotels). The breakfast was standard fare for this chain, waffles, cereal, bagels, and coffee/juice. The hotel was clean and very safe. The area has plenty of restaurants including high end chains like Ruths Chris Steak House and the popular restaurants like PF Changs, Chilis, etc. A good breakfast place in Fairfax is called First Watch and only about 4 miles from the hotel. Great service, fast and good food. We would definitely stay at this hotel again. Priced very reasonable. The pet fee was $25.00 extra a day, we would like to see that drop down to $15/day. Overall a very good experience. We had our two children with us also and they enjoyed the visit. The pool was very clean. We noticed several high schools staying at the hotel but the kids were fun and reasonable. We never worried about the kids, in fact it reassured us that it was a safe hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Hendersonville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

We always like Comfort Inns but this one was a surprise price wise! Since it's near Washington, DC we expected expensive and busy/noisy. It was very reasonably priced, quiet and friendly service. The gift shop had lot's of souvenirs at very good prices. Expanded continental breakfast was included with the room and that was tasty and plentiful. Everything in the place was very clean....The front desk personnel were very helpful and patient with us tourists in learning the "metro" system and where to eat, etc.

The only complaint we had was that the housekeeping staff knocked on our door at 8 am asking if we wanted our room cleaned. She woke us up since we were vacationing. The front desk said to put our do not disturb sign on the door to avoid that happening again.

I recommend this hotel to leisure and business travellers.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Inn University Center? Share your experiences!