“Some Bad, Some Good” 3 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Fairfax
“Some Bad, Some Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2006

My family and I stayed at the Comfort Inn in May and I pretty much saw everything the hotel had to offer.

Here are the good parts: Me and my boyfriend came to the Comfort Inn after a 14 hour drive straight from Florida and even though thier check in time is at 3:00pm they let us check in 2 hours earlier so we could get some sleep. Also the shuttle that they provided to the Metro (which is the easiest way to get to D.C.) was really nice we arranged to be picked up at 9 am and we spent quite a long time sightseeing and when we got back to the metro station around 5:30 and were afraid that we would have to take a taxi but they still sent the shuttle out for us.

Here are the not so good parts: we had booked a king bed room online and they instead gave us a room with 2 doubles, thankfully they had a room open with a king which just happened to be an executive suite. This room was huge EXCEPT for the bathroom it was very tiny compared to the rest of the room but still sufficant. The room had a kitchen but the thing that confused me was that there was no microwave to heat the food you might put in the refridgerator. Also the floor around the room is very uneven and there were hardly any outlets.

My aunt and uncle's room was hilarious. They had the type of king room we were supposed to get. This room comes with a jacuzzi but it's located out side of the bathroom in the living area and you have to climb through a window in the bathroom to get to it. The shower looks like a combination between a tomb and time capsule with room for only half a person. And the toilet is located in what looks like a faux linen closet.

As for the rest of the hotel the pool is located inside and is heated but I wouldn't recommend staying in it long the fumes from the cholorine could knock out a herd of cattle. After our long drive both my boyfriend and father wanted a drink so we went down to what was called the bar. you have to walk to the other side of the hotel down a flight of steps and pass the very rude wait staff who look at you funny if your not Asian and the beer selection is laughable especially when the bar is located a a dark sectioned off corner of the resturant.

The area of Fairfax is very nice and D.C. is only minuets away by Metro and most of the sightseeing tours are located at Union Station. Both the tourmobile and D.C. ducks are wonderful but I would recommend using 2 days to tour becuase even though we spent 10 hours in the city we still didn't see everything.

• Stayed May 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
nyc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2006

I went with a group of 47 to the Comfort Inn University for one night. We checked in around 7 o'clock and by that time (after a long day of D.C. touring), all I wanted was a clean bed to sleep on. However, I got a night of gross "comfort" at the Comfort Inn. The room was small (much smaller than that of other people in my group, but I don't know why) but it looked alright. When I went in the bathroom, it was small as well, and appeared okay. Much to my dismay, however, I discovered that there were small but frequent holes in the sheets. The coverlet had a huge stain on the front of it. The toilet had urine on the edges of the seat and the shower had so much visible dirt on the bottom that when we each took showers, we wore flip flops. There were tiles in the bathroom, so I know some dirt in the grout is to be expected, but this was horrible! The dirt chipped of as you walked on it. The sinks had a little bit of mold in the dran. The beds had no bedskirt around it, so the box spring (stains, tears and all) showed very clearly. The actual sheets were clean, as were the pillows (from what I could see) so it was not totally awful, and since it was only one night, it was manageable. But nevertheless, this hotel was horrible.

The next morning, we were set to have breakfast in the "breakfast room". The food was not as bad as the room, but it was not anything to write home about. The food was dry and old tasting, even though it was hot. There was a musty smell in the halls and the rooms and the "breakfast room". It also bothered me that there was a salon that had various signs and ads on it that were written first in Japanese. There were cellular phone ads for phone companies only available in Asia. It seemed very inhospitable that there were so many ads in Japanese when a majority of the travelers staying at the hotel do not speak Japanese. I also saw that there were a few signs in Spanish on the elevator. I don't mind if these languages are on the signs, but I don't understand why they were there, to be honest. And they were the first languages on the sign, as well. I was quite confused at this. I bear no grudge against foreign languages at all, but this confused me a great deal. The pool in the hotel was dismal. It seemed like they subsituted cleaning it for pouring heaps of chlorine in it. I stayed away. Even the "lounge room" where there was a pizza party and dance floor was odd. All the way in the basement, it is small and cramped and barely could hold a children's party of 10, let alone a group of teenagers and adults.

I noticed there were a lot of large groups here, so I assume the building we stayed in was specifically for groups. I also attribute this as to why the rooms were so poorly taken care of, but nevertheless, that does not excuse the gross nature of this room. Perhaps the hotel is better for people travelling privately with their families or friends in small groups. But otherwise, I would highly suggest you find another hotel because this one was a waste of time.

• Stayed May 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2006

My family stayed here with our very well behaved great dane. (They have rooms designated for pets.) The room was very clean and large. The beds were very comfortable! This hotel has a very pleasing and friendly staff. The swimming pool was very large and clean as well. There is a continental breakfast served which was very well maintained, the tables were cleaned as soon as someone left and the food was plentiful. We will stay again if we are in Fairfax VA!

• Stayed March 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2005

I Booked our stay online through Lodging/I called a week in advance to confirm our room/We had paid by credit card/Upon arrival we were told by the staff at front desk that they had overbooked and were moving us to another hotel and we would be responsible for paying at other hotel, accept for the one night that they would refund for inconvience . We booked COMFORT INN because of the ammenities-Indoor Pool, Shuttle to Metro ETC./The other hotel had no ammenites and the front desk staff did not offer any use of their hotel ammenties. Very poor customer service.

• Stayed March 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2004

We enjoyed our stay at the Comfort Inn University Center, in Fairfax, VA on 10/29/2004. We received a two-bed, non-smoking room as we requested, and the room was clean and nicely furnished. We especially appreciated the comfort of the pillow-top mattresses, which we seem to find now at all Choice Hotel properties. The management was friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was good. We would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2004
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2004

I stayed here with my family in August, 2004. I was hoping to stay in Downtown at Washington DC, but a friend booked us here. He too stayed there with his family.

It an excellent place to stay - rooms well equipped, and were very clean and large. You need that with family so that children have some space to move around. The Hotel has a very pleasant setting, and the staff was very helpful. There is a swimming pool and a games room with some arcade style games for children to spend some time. There is free plentiful parking for cars in front of the hotel.

The Hotel is close to shopping - there is a big food store and a 7-11 very next to the hotel. They provide a continental breakfast. It is very accessible to/from Washengton downtown (about 14 highway miles, about 20 minutes) by car.

I think it a nice hotel for families to stay while visiting Washington DC. I would be happy to stay there any time.

• Stayed August 2004, traveled on business
Dallas, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2004

Our family stayed at the Comfort Inn recently for a get-away weekend to the Washington DC area. We toured DC for a full day before checking in late at the Comfort Inn. Check-in was a breeze and the desk clerk was professional and courteous. The hotel and our room were very clean and comfortable. Our room had 2 double beds; desk with internet connection; 2 desk chairs; and a soft easy chair. The room was spacious and well as the bathroom. Our family had no problem with the size of the bathroom, it was no smaller than any other hotel bathroom. Our children enjoyed the indoor pool which was open until 10 PM each night. The male lifeguard was always on duty in the evenings, was friendly, and did a fine job. Breakfast was bountiful with cereal, pastries, fruit, yoguart. I would recommend this place to all my friends. We will be back on our next DC get-away weekend.

Been to Comfort Inn University Center? Share your experiences!