“Unacceptable” 1 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Fairfax
“Unacceptable”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We booked a room here for 3 nights and did not stay. This hotel exhibits incompetence and zero customer service. To begin with, we got there at 9PM to check in. The building is not connected all the way around so depending on the room you may have to walk all your luggage outside to the other end of the building (or if there was any care for their customers they might mention this at the start so we could have moved our car). However, I lugged our luggage and my five year old son up the wrong elevator and was never redirected until I walked around the other half of the third level and came back down to the front desk where I was then directed to stairs or walking outside to the other end. I asked the front desk if there was any rooms on the third level with access to the elevator as he could see I had my young son and all he said in a cocky torn was "UM not tonight." GREAT, thanks for trying! Thankfully my husband walked in and pushed the cart across the parking lot so I could watch my son. We get up to the room we were directed to (room 300) and THE KEYS DONT WORK. Awesome! So I walk down and the guy again without apology reprograms the key and says if it doesn't work he will have to send someone up to fix it. Perfect. We just drove 10 hours with a five year old. We go back up and the door works.....but he gave us a room that was already occupied with someone's belongings sitting on the bed. Can you imagine if that was your room and the front desk gave someone your key???? Needless to say we left and will NEVER return. Not once did Robert show any remorse or offer anything to us to make up for his severe neglect. I cannot believe this place stays in business with their lack of customer service and complete ineptness. We then went down the road to comfort suites which was 100% better all around. Mark at comfort suites was kind enough to offer us the same rate and was incredibly kind and understanding. It was also much cleaner and updated. I will write a separate review but just wanted to mention how much that meant to us as a tired family with no place to stay.

Room Tip: Avoid! They gave us someone else's keys!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Comfort_Inn_Fairfax, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn University Center, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Venember,

I'm concerned about your bad experience at our hotel during your recent visit. I'm writing to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. Consequently, it's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy.

Please accept my sincere apology.

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Please be assured that the issues you've raised have been addressed, and the appropriate action has been taken. I will personally deal with the staff about improving their customer service skills.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.

We hope that you decided to stay here again in the future and give us another chance.

Brian Fogarty
Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Hartsdale, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed here just for one night during a roadtrip down south, and couldn't believe that I was actually in a Comfort Inn! I wouldn't normally give a Choice property such a high rating, but this property was great. More like I was staying at an upscale hotel chain. I ciuld not find any faults here! If ever your in the area, definetely check this place out....you will be pleseantly surprised.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Berkeley Springs, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

This dreary run down place should be avoided if possible. The service was terrible, the room looked like something from the seventies and I'm sure that the place hasn't had the carpet replaced since then.
I had Choice points I had to use so I ended up here to stay close to the airport for an early morning flight. I probably should have slept at the airport.

Room Tip: As you read more of my reviews you will see similar comments about how to choose a good room. Find a...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Newport News, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

My wife and I rented an excellent room with a king size bed and a hot tub on July 26, 2014. We made the reservation in advance using Choice Hotel points (the redemption value was very reasonable, as was the actual price we would have paid otherwise), because we were going to see Dave Matthews Band at Jiffy Lube Live in Bristow that night. This hotel is just a short drive from that venue (20 minutes), which is great, because most of the hotels in the vicinity of that venue are overpriced and overbooked. We checked in at 1am, and not only was our exact room held, but it was the cleanest and most appealing room we've stayed in yet. Not only that, but it was quiet, had a fantastic hot breakfast that was served until 11am, and a wonderful indoor pool on the ground floor (also very nicely decorated, and spacious too). The staff was very pleasant at check-in and check-out, and we will definitely stay there again. Thank you.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Wassenaar, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

On Main Street (US-50) close to US-29, I-66 & VA-236. Asian restaurant on site or a Choice of Shopping & restaurants near-by & in Old Town Fairfax just to the east on VA-236. Our room was dated but clean & spacious. Front desk service was friendly & informative. Be mindful of the Weekday traffic during the rush hours (7:00 / 9:30 AM & 4:00 / 7:00 PM) as it can be heavy for those that are not used to this type of traffic.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Mundelein, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Don't bother picking up a rental at the airport, take a cab to the hotel, a 20 minute drive. There is an Enterprise location at the hotel to make your arrangements. Maneuvering DC traffic if unfamiliar is a witch....unless you want to site see at 10pm on a Sunday nite as I. But I saw monuments in DC I'd only seen pics in books. Beautiful, which I had more time to visit our Capitol.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Gold Coast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights, as it was close to where I needed to be. Even though this is supposed to be a NON SMOKING hotel, the first room I was given smelt like an ashtray. I went and complained and was given another room immediately. The room was spacious but very dated, and the carpet DID NOT pass the white sock test....very grubby! I found the bed to be comfortable, but could not fathom the kitchen area which was a nasty looking scratched, black metal type unit consisting of a four burner cooktop, an oven, and small refrigerator which had a freezer with no door and was caked in ice, and a sink.. There were no pots or pans with which to use the cooktop or oven, and not a single dish or utensil, so why have a non useable kitchen. All tourists that I have met do not usually have these items in their bags! There was a small coffee maker. The breakfast was free, and I guess acceptable except for the powdered eggs. Close to shopping mall.

Room Tip: Check for smoke smell before accepting the room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Been to Comfort Inn University Center? Share your experiences!